5. Melky Cabrera (S) RF

6. Jung Ho Kang (R) SS

7. Jose Osuna (R) 3B

8. Elias Diaz (R) C

9. Steven Brault (L) P
rucker59@gmail.com

Pirates vs Pad - 6/23 - Game Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Props to Brault. Singles. Busts his rear end on Newman’s single to advance to 3rd. Scores on Mr Reynold’s SF.

The pitcher playing small ball perfectly.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

At this point, can Frazier or Moran really be any worse than Kang?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The Pirates have put on quite a display of fundamental errors today.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

OK...I'm gonna rant here for a bit. Hedges gets on on a strikeout, wild pitch and comes around to score. While scoring, Marte again throws to the wrong base. No shot to throw Hedges out at home, but Tatis moves up to second. He then scores on the base hit. Rodriguez is brought in to pitch to Hosmer. Rodriguez struggles against lefties. Liriano sits in the bullpen and twiddles his thumbs. Year after year after year this team struggles with fundamentals. I don't mind losing. Even the best teams will lose a third of their games every year. But I'm so sick and tired of stupid mental mistakes.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

757D7E495F7A5D523C0 wrote: OK...I'm gonna rant here for a bit. Hedges gets on on a strikeout, wild pitch and comes around to score. While scoring, Marte again throws to the wrong base. No shot to throw Hedges out at home, but Tatis moves up to second. He then scores on the base hit. Rodriguez is brought in to pitch to Hosmer. Rodriguez struggles against lefties. Liriano sits in the bullpen and twiddles his thumbs. Year after year after year this team struggles with fundamentals. I don't mind losing. Even the best teams will lose a third of their games every year. But I'm so sick and tired of stupid mental mistakes.

I wondered if Marte missed a cutoff man or if a cutoff man wasn't in right position. Definitely too many mistakes.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

You know, I really like Hurdle. I give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't agree with those who want him fired, but his mismanagement of the bullpen may cost the Bucs this game. Hartlieb shouldn't have pitched anyway. But after he walked three straight, no reason for him to pitch to Machado, other than the fact that the Pirates were down one run. One stinking run. We just scored three in the ninth. Maybe if they keep it 5-4, the Bucs win it in the bottom of the ninth. I just feel like Hurdle does this a lot. He does a lot of things I don't necessarily like, but using scrub relievers close and late with the Bucs trailing bugs me. It's not like we aren't regularly getting our arses kicked often enough to give those guys opportunities to pitch.

But, wow, what a comeback from these guys in the bottom of the ninth! Against Yates, no less.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

Liriano is a guy that you move when his ERA is that low before he implodes.
BenM

Post by BenM »

That was an amazing game.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3020211600000C630 wrote: Liriano is a guy that you move when his ERA is that low before he implodes.

pretty amazing win.

edit: I'm very glad not to be a Padre fan today. I would have had my heart ripped out twice.