Tellez-. 210
Cruz -. 209
Suwinski-.191
Davis -.182
Cutch - .173

If all 6 of these guys are in the game at the same time and they often
have been, the Pirates have very little chance of winning unless they
score one or two runs and the staff pitches a Shutout. That is the reality guys
A real team would have looked at last year's performances and strategized that they hope Cruz will become a good hitter (even tho he hit only .233 in 331 ABs in 2021, hope that Davis becomes a good hitter despite hitting .213 last year, hope that Suwinski can do better than his .224 last year, hope that Cutch has something left, and acquire some proven hitters just in case.

Well, the "hope" strategy isn't working out so far and the players they acquired are Tellez (.215 in 2023, .219 in 2022, career .232), Taylor (.220 last year, career .240) and Olivares (utility OFer, .261 career BA). These players fit the budget but can't be expected to significantly upgrade the offense. Cherington remains embedded in the "hope" strategy. And hope is not a strategy.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Possum

Re: Official Game Thread - 4/12 - Boston vs Bucs

Post by Possum »

Bobster wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:06 am
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:25 pm Current batting averages
Triolo- .227
Tellez-. 210
Cruz -. 209
Suwinski-.191
Davis -.182
Cutch - .173

If all 6 of these guys are in the game at the same time and they often
have been, the Pirates have very little chance of winning unless they
score one or two runs and the staff pitches a Shutout. That is the reality guys
A real team would have looked at last year's performances and strategized that they hope Cruz will become a good hitter (even tho he hit only .233 in 331 ABs in 2021, hope that Davis becomes a good hitter despite hitting .213 last year, hope that Suwinski can do better than his .224 last year, hope that Cutch has something left, and acquire some proven hitters just in case.

Well, the "hope" strategy isn't working out so far and the players they acquired are Tellez (.215 in 2023, .2019 in 2022, career .232), Taylor (.220 last year, career .240) and Olivares (utility OFer, .261 career BA). These players fit the budget but can't be expected to significantly upgrade the offense. Cherington remains embedded in the "hope" strategy. And hope is not a strategy.
We need to embed Cherington in the Allegheny by making him walk the Pirate Plank!
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:50 pm
Doc wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:27 pm Cruz with another error. Is BC contemplating sending him to Indy so he can get himself on track? It wouldn’t be the worst thing that could happen, and it doesn’t mean he’s finished as a major leaguer. Lots of guys get sent back and then return being the players many thought they could be.
Listening to the post game show, and it's pretty interesting about Cruz. Cruz in the locker room told reporters right now he has no confidence. Shelton in his interview said they are going to keep running him out there, that unplugging him for a couple of days isn't going to help.

I was at the game today. You could see the air come out of them after they botched the bottom of the 4th. They are all either trying too hard, or it's affecting their play in the field.

They're back to square one. It's interesting to wonder, if they were sitting at 11-11 and kind of ham and egging wins and losses, would people be okay with that as opposed to how they actually got there?

I'm of the mindset that right now, there isn't a single player who seems to have their game going in high gear other than Jared Jones, and right now, we really need the offense to get going. No one is hitting so well they are carrying the team. Even Reynolds 3-4 yesterday, one of those is an infield hit.

I do believe this season is going to be make or break for Shelton. It seems the players love him, and the "culture" he's nurtured. I hope they realize they better produce, or they'll have to learn a new culture.
I can’t speak for others’ frustrations but, for me, the expectations I have for the young players haven’t been met (with the exception of Jones). I see young players from other teams performing at a higher level and wonder why our guys flounder after we’ve been told their futures look bright. They’ve demonstrated little that’s excited us. Part of the problem is some of them are not seeing the field consistently from day to day. Enough with all the days off.

As for Cruz lacking confidence, this is where Shelton has to earn his money. It’s his job to get Cruz to start believing in himself again. Use whatever methods he feels can work and, if they don’t, if Cruz is unable to help himself, then they need to demote him and bring Peggy back up. The objective is win ball games, therefore you play the guys who believe they can win.

It’s Cruz’s career. He’s the one most responsible for it. The Pirates have to help him understand that.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:56 pm It's the mental mistakes that drive me crazy. These are Major Leaguers that make
Little Leaguer mistakes'
The steal rate by opposing teams is completely unacceptable. It seems most of them
are because the pitcher isn't holding them on. What is Oscar doing about it?

I have another theory and I would like the board members to comment.
I know of no other team that puts some players in different position as much as the Pirates.
Connor Joe- 1st Base and Outfield
Suwiski - has played all three OF positions
Reynolds - different OF positions
Olivares - different OF positions
Triolo - Second and Third
I feel that in Major League Baseball, it's tough enough learning to play one position. I have noticed that players are
not calling each other off on certain plays because they are not as familiar with each other as other teams are.
I agree in large part with your theory. Tryouts are over. The best player at each position should be playing everyday. My plan would be this:

1. I would work with Cruz every afternoon at first base with the intention of him moving there permanently by the end of May. The guy’s a shortstop, so it’s likely he can play first base.
2. Gonzales and Peggy would be promoted to play second and short.
3. Triolo would assume the utility role giving the other infielders a breather. I understand that Hayes’s back is a problem so Triolo will likely get most of his reps there, which is good because it’s his best position.
4. The outfield would have Reynolds and Taylor playing everyday with Suwinski and Oliveras platooning.
5. Davis would catch six days a week.
6. Joe would become the primary DH with Triolo, Suwinski, and Oliveras also seeing time there. (I don’t have much faith in McCutchen now. The end of his career is coming quickly.)

These are the guys who I feel give us the best chance to take us to a future World Series. If BC’s top priority is not winning in 2024 then there’s nothing to lose by running these guys out there everyday this year. If they fail, the sooner he knows the better. If they succeed, he’s a year ahead of schedule.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Doc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:08 am
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:56 pm It's the mental mistakes that drive me crazy. These are Major Leaguers that make
Little Leaguer mistakes'
The steal rate by opposing teams is completely unacceptable. It seems most of them

I know of no other team that puts some players in different position as much as the Pirates.
I feel that in Major League Baseball, it's tough enough learning to play one position. I have noticed that players are
not calling each other off on certain plays because they are not as familiar with each other as other teams are.
I agree in large part with your theory. Tryouts are over. The best player at each position should be playing everyday. My plan would be this:

1. I would work with Cruz every afternoon at first base with the intention of him moving there permanently by the end of May. The guy’s a shortstop, so it’s likely he can play first base.
3. Triolo would assume the utility role giving the other infielders a breather. I understand that Hayes’s back is a problem so Triolo will likely get most of his reps there, which is good because it’s his best position.
4. The outfield would have Reynolds and Taylor playing everyday with Suwinski and Oliveras platooning.
6. Joe would become the DH. (I don’t have much faith in McCutchen now. The end of his career is coming quickly.)

These are the guys who I feel give us the best chance to take us to a World Series. If BC’s top priority is not winning in 2024 then there’s nothing to lose by running these guys out there everyday this year. If they fail, the sooner he knows the better. If they succeed, he’s a year ahead of schedule.
Just curious doc, if Gonzales and Peguero are brought up, obviously Williams goes. Who else? Tellez?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Gonzales should be up, and starting at second. I would bring Peguero up, and start him at SS. I would platoon Cutch and Tellez at DH, while working with Cruz to convert to being first base down at AAA. He'll never be an outfielder, and his cannor arm is too erratic for a SS. Hayes is my 3B. Triolo is my utility guy for 2B/3B. I'd trade/release Williams.

I run with Joe and Rowdy at 1B. My outfield is Reynolds and Taylor every day, I send Suwinski down and give Bae a shot, and platoon him with Olivares.

It's probably a blessing the bloom is coming off the Bart rose as it is, with Grandal about ready to come back to catch. I'm not catching Davis 6 days a week, I'm doing a 5-2 and depending on how the schedule goes, a 4-3 split. Delay is certainly a candidate to go on the 60 day IL.

One more thing. In a move Nutting would positively love, I'd find a way to trade Joe and Tellez for a reclimation project RP or lottery ticket, bring up Lamb and Nunez. Saves BOB money, they get younger with Nunez, and even though Lamb is 4 years older, neither him or Tellez are the long term future at first, he's the guy I'm sending to AAA and putting the thought in his head, "just learn this much easier position (theoretically) for you, and concentrate on your hitting, and that 6 figure payday starting with a 2 or 3 awaits from someone in a couple years."

Oh, and I bring up Skenes, let him and Jones throw 85 pitches at least if they want to keep them on a leash. I go with a quasi 5-6 man rotation, depending on the length they get from any start from Keller, Perez, Falter, Priester. That means an arm has to go, it should be simple enough. Play the option game with whoever has them.

Nunez takes Joe's spot, Lamb takes Tellez's spot, Skenes takes Williams spot on the 40 man roster. Peguero, Bae, Gonzales are already on the 40 man.

Let's Go Shake Them Bucs!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

OH, and I should add, if Marco Gonzales is looking like it will be well into a month before his return, double down on it, put him on the 60 day IL too. Makes room on the 40 man roster if they do fetch a fungible RP.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:18 am
Doc wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:08 am
Little Leaguer mistakes'

6. Joe would become the DH. (I don’t have much faith in McCutchen now. The end of his career is coming quickly.)

These are the guys who I feel give us the best chance to take us to a World Series. If BC’s top priority is not winning in 2024 then there’s nothing to lose by running these guys out there everyday this year. If they fail, the sooner he knows the better. If they succeed, he’s a year ahead of schedule.
Just curious doc, if Gonzales and Peguero are brought up, obviously Williams goes. Who else? Tellez?
Yes, and not just based on this season but mostly on the past two or three. His promise of power isn't enough to offset his inability to get on base. The days of trying to resurrect a veteran whose best days are behind him (that includes McCutchen) are over for this team. If a veteran is brought in, it has to be a guy who's still a really good everyday player who fills a spot where no youngster has succeeded.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

The most frustrating part of being swept by the Red Sox is that we were embarrassed by an anemic Red Sox lineup that had 5 players hitting below 0.180
I was expecting a bounce back from the Mets fiasco and hoping for a Pirates sweep. Certainly not a Boston sweep.
First the Bruins knock the Pens out of the playoff picture and now the Red Sox have their way with us.