2024 Pirates Hall of Fame

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Javy

2024 Pirates Hall of Fame

Post by Javy »

Leyland, Sanguillen, and Barry. No issue with any of them (and I hope Pirates fans accept Bonds gracefully).
All were great Pirates, but I have some heartburn over Vernon Law not getting in again.They really need to address this oversight while the Deacon is still with us. He should be the next inductee.

Who's next? Virdon, Skinner, Van Slyke, Pena, Candelaria, Rooker, Drabek, Moose, Ellis, Giusti, all come to mind. I'm sure I'll think of a few others
Possum

Re: 2024 Pirates Hall of Fame

Post by Possum »

I'm with you when it comes to Vern Law. He was one of my heroes as a kid. I even emulated his windup when playing pick-up ball at the local community ball field.
After that, I go with Virdon. After that, the rest are a toss-up.
Let's Go Bucs
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

They all deserve it. I sure would have like to have kept Bonds. He was a beast after he left us. Actually rooted hard for him to get a WS ring. Little sad he missed the Giants WS years.

Sometime these HOF's get out of hand. Take the Rock and Roll HOF, I'm sure you all remember that amazing rock and roll star Dolly Parton. :lol:
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

It was kind of sad last night during the game to see Bob Nutting welcoming those Pirate greats to the team's HOF. They were parts of outstanding Pirate teams; the likes of which Nutting will never preside over because he doesn't care enough. And now they're advertising tickets for the game where they'll be inducted. So Nutting will draw a bigger crowd and profit from what those people accomplished, which is something his team will never accomplish because of his lack of commitment. It's a shame Nutting has to be involved.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Winner post above me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UtahPirate2

Post by UtahPirate2 »

Vern Law is 94 and lost his wife this past year. Would have loved to see him get the honor while still alive!

His 1960 year was one of the greatest years by any pitcher ever - only pitcher to win the All-Star game, a WS game (2) and the Cy Young in the same year. And I know I have written it here, but that year they had two All-Star games and he got a save in the second one.

He will get in at some point, but I was personally trying to will it to happen this year just because I wanted to see the Pirates come calling before the Good Lord does ...
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:49 am It was kind of sad last night during the game to see Bob Nutting welcoming those Pirate greats to the team's HOF. They were parts of outstanding Pirate teams; the likes of which Nutting will never preside over because he doesn't care enough. And now they're advertising tickets for the game where they'll be inducted. So Nutting will draw a bigger crowd and profit from what those people accomplished, which is something his team will never accomplish because of his lack of commitment. It's a shame Nutting has to be involved.
Exactly. He loves celebrating the 1960, '71, and '79 World Series teams. He had nothing to do with them but he'll trot all those guys back here so that he can have an attendance boost for a couple of nights. He's the true picture of a carpetbagger.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Javy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:34 am Leyland, Sanguillen, and Barry. No issue with any of them (and I hope Pirates fans accept Bonds gracefully).
All were great Pirates, but I have some heartburn over Vernon Law not getting in again.They really need to address this oversight while the Deacon is still with us. He should be the next inductee.

Who's next? Virdon, Skinner, Van Slyke, Pena, Candelaria, Rooker, Drabek, Moose, Ellis, Giusti, all come to mind. I'm sure I'll think of a few others
I believe you brought this up last year, Javy. To be having this same conversation a year later is truly sad.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Doc wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:56 pm
Javy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:34 am Leyland, Sanguillen, and Barry. No issue with any of them (and I hope Pirates fans accept Bonds gracefully).

I believe you brought this up last year, Javy. To be having this same conversation a year later is truly sad.
I don't understand not selecting Law right now. Another person to add to potential list is Bob Veale.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Wonder who the young of today will have to look forward to going in??

Curious if Jason Bay gets an automatic since he is are only ROY??