Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 5/3 - Bucs vs Rockies

Post by Bobster »

Bucs are now 5-17 since their 9-2 start. :(
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Bobster wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:26 am Bucs are now 5-17 since their 9-2 start. :(
One bright spot in an otherwise dismal game. Can't say anything
that hasn't already been said
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

This was the first game this season in which the Rockies never trailed at any one point in the game.

It just keeps getting better doesn't it?

Now that the huge "vote of confidence" (my thinking) did absolutely nothing, now what?

Like I said, they'll pretty much have to go with what they have right now through this homestand at least. If you were going to make changes, Thursday was the time to do it. We can only hope that Cruz's HR might actually be the start of something, but then again, we thought that with Suwinski's grand slam in Philly, Cutch hitting lead off HR's in back to back games, Reynolds and Hayes going back to back in extras, etc. etc. etc.

This was the kind of crowd that was filled with a lot of young people, and for the boos to start raining down after the bottom of the 7th was telling.

It's going to be worse tomorrow, but the Pirates may get a reprieve as rain is forecasted.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

Doc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:41 am Bucs go in order in the 7th, including Oneil Cruz. I’ll ask the question again: as of today, would you rather have him or De La Cruz of the Reds for the next six years? While they’re destined to be compared over the years, De La Cruz plays as hard as any player I’ve ever seen and, according to an article on mlb.com this morning, is on pace to hit 40 HRs and steal 90 bases, something no one has ever done. In the meantime, Cruz plays without passion, like he can’t be bothered. I know who I’d rather have here in May, 2024.
I think the Pirates need to take Oneil Cruz aside and make him watch hours and hours of De La Cruz video. Explain to him that is what is expected of him as a Pirate. Maybe that might humble him
A bit and light a fire under his ass
Doc

Post by Doc »

JollyRoger8 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:29 am
Doc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:41 am Bucs go in order in the 7th, including Oneil Cruz. I’ll ask the question again: as of today, would you rather have him or De La Cruz of the Reds for the next six years? While they’re destined to be compared over the years, De La Cruz plays as hard as any player I’ve ever seen and, according to an article on mlb.com this morning, is on pace to hit 40 HRs and steal 90 bases, something no one has ever done. In the meantime, Cruz plays without passion, like he can’t be bothered. I know who I’d rather have here in May, 2024.
I think the Pirates need to take Oneil Cruz aside and make him watch hours and hours of De La Cruz video. Explain to him that is what is expected of him as a Pirate. Maybe that might humble him
A bit and light a fire under his ass
Ultimately, it's up to him. It'll take a life-changing decision on his part, a full-time commitment to play a different way than he does now. He can't just turn it on whenever the moment calls for it. It's like asking a person who's always sad and down to completely change into someone who's happy and upbeat. It won't be easy, and no one can do it for him.

A guy who plays with the desire shown by De La Cruz is infectious to his teammates. The way Cruz plays is infectious, too, but in a way that's more like a virus.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

In a rare bit of good news, Cruz is hitting .314 over his last 11 games and has hit safely in all 9 of those 11 games that he started.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Before this season completely gets out of hand either a shake up of the roster either by a trade, or demotions or else the firing of Shelton, and or Haines. I would have no problem with moving Taylor, Suwinski and Tellez. With Taylor and Tellez the team would need their permission since they were signed as free agents this offseason. The Royals need outfield help, get on the phone with them.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:31 pm Before this season completely gets out of hand either a shake up of the roster either by a trade, or demotions or else the firing of Shelton, and or Haines. I would have no problem with moving Taylor, Suwinski and Tellez. With Taylor and Tellez the team would need their permission since they were signed as free agents this offseason. The Royals need outfield help, get on the phone with them.
I've never heard of players who signed as free agents having to give permission to be traded. That would be the case for any player who had a no-trade clause in his contract. But I've never heard of it being automatic for free agent signees.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Bobster wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:05 pm
fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:31 pm Before this season completely gets out of hand either a shake up of the roster either by a trade, or demotions or else the firing of Shelton, and or Haines. I would have no problem with moving Taylor, Suwinski and Tellez. With Taylor and Tellez the team would need their permission since they were signed as free agents this offseason. The Royals need outfield help, get on the phone with them.
I've never heard of players who signed as free agents having to give permission to be traded. That would be the case for any player who had a no-trade clause in his contract. But I've never heard of it being automatic for free agent signees.
I believe under the CBA there is a date in June that a free agent who signed the previous offseason can then be traded without giving his approval. If I remember it is a rule that has been part of the CBA for a long time.