Official Game Thread - 4/9 - Bucs vs Tigers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Official Game Thread - 4/9 - Bucs vs Tigers

Post by Bobster »

bucs607179 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:46 pm Bednar most likely blows it for the Bucs. Leaving the game after giving up 4.

Should have stayed golfing.
This isn't new. Last season he wilted in the 2nd half. Beginning August 5, he was scored upon in 9 of 23 games (39%). In that time, he gave up as many hits (22) as innings (22.2), had 2 blown saves and a rather pedestrian 3.57 ERA for a closer. Something's been wrong for a long time with him and it's time to stop considering him a lights-out closer. He was limited in ST and unavailable on opening day. He's been such a great story for the Bucs that no one wants to believe he's got a significant injury issue. But it's reached the point where he can't be trusted as a closer.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Well, disappointed I was. I wake up, check the box, see they lost 5-3. Thought, oh well can't win them all. Then I saw the losing pitcher was Bednar, and thought, oh well it was probably 3-3 going into the top of the ninth. Then I saw the 4 spot. Ouch.

So driving Mister Man to class, got the Fan on, and they are actually doing Steelers stuff (big surprise there, eh?) and they put out a tease about we'll hear what Rowdy Tellez said about the fans booing Bednar after the game, and we'll hear from Greg Brown.

Well, you know how those radio teases go, but at least they got back to the Tellez comment before I got back.

Thank you Rowdy. You do realize you're the next one the trolls get on. I hope you're ready for it. But you are 100% correct.

I really don't know what's going on with the fans so far this season. They booed Bailey Falter during the pre-game ceremonies at Opening Day. Man that had to have been a buzzkill. Now this?

Even more embarrassing was Bryan Reynolds was a guest on MLB Network this morning, had a nice interview during pre-game warmups to todays game. He talked about how he loves Pittsburgh, and mentioned about how great it's going to be when the fans come back if they keep winning.

I wonder if he'd like to walk back those words.

I sit in the stands many games. Sometimes it's insufferable. "I paid a ticket, so I can boo" seems to be the in person mantra of the same personality that says, "I paid for this computer, so I'm going to troll".

It's sad because even with the hot start, they can't draw 20,000 combined to two games. But it used to be, those were the fans that never booed, those were the games I was so happy to be able to attend, trading out my Friday games when they had the t-shirts give away to go to those M-Th games, especially the day games. With the fans that really cared about the team, and know that when a guy isn't getting it done, you don't boo him, but on the rare occasion they come through, you treat them like royalty.

Just more of the entitlement sydrome in this country. "How DARE they lose at the only game I'll attend all year on someone else's dime".
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

A big plus from this game was Martin Perez. 1 run in 8 innings. It's hard to know what to make of him. From his rookie season of 2012 through 2021 he had an unimpressive 4.71 ERA. Somehow, the light went on in 2022. He had a 2.89 ERA and was an All-Star. But he went right back to struggling in 2023 and when his ERA reached 4.98 in late July, he was banished to the Texas bullpen the rest of the season. At the end of the season, the Rangers let him walk. He saw a chance to be in the rotation with the Pirates, an opportunity he likely would not have with many other teams. But in 3 games so far, he's been outstanding. Since this is not typical for him, it's fair to wonder if it will last. But if he can continue this trend, he will be very valuable beyond his good clubhouse influence.

Another plus was the 2 HR day by Olivares. I was not impressed when they signed him. Seemed like another mediocre backup. But he's done well so far.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Losing is part of any sport but this one really hurts.
I read all the comments about Bednar and I am just hoping
that he is pitching hurt and not saying anything. He should be
placed on the DL and hopefully Holderman is about ready.
There were many very good defensive plays in this game. More so
by Detroit. Williams did make one outstanding play.
Agree with Bobster on Perez as well as Oliveres
4 games in Philly. Will be happy with a split
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I just saw a post game interview with Bednar in the PG.They were just about to interview
him when Tellez got beside Bednar and said" This is the pride of Pittsburgh". " To everybody, we
don't do that out here. We're a good team. We're winning for a reason. We're gonna get our man
back on track, but what happened today is, I think, is unacceptable.We as a group in Pittsburgh gotta be better.
He's an All Star for a reason and we just have to be better. That being said, a two time All Star"
That was really a class act. Surg would be proud.
Check it out if you can
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:00 pm Well, disappointed I was. I wake up, check the box, see they lost 5-3. Thought, oh well can't win them all. Then I saw the losing pitcher was Bednar, and thought, oh well it was probably 3-3 going into the top of the ninth. Then I saw the 4 spot. Ouch.

So driving Mister Man to class, got the Fan on, and they are actually doing Steelers stuff (big surprise there, eh?) and they put out a tease about we'll hear what Rowdy Tellez said about the fans booing Bednar after the game, and we'll hear from Greg Brown.

Well, you know how those radio teases go, but at least they got back to the Tellez comment before I got back.

Thank you Rowdy. You do realize you're the next one the trolls get on. I hope you're ready for it. But you are 100% correct.

I really don't know what's going on with the fans so far this season. They booed Bailey Falter during the pre-game ceremonies at Opening Day. Man that had to have been a buzzkill. Now this?

Even more embarrassing was Bryan Reynolds was a guest on MLB Network this morning, had a nice interview during pre-game warmups to todays game. He talked about how he loves Pittsburgh, and mentioned about how great it's going to be when the fans come back if they keep winning.

I wonder if he'd like to walk back those words.

I sit in the stands many games. Sometimes it's insufferable. "I paid a ticket, so I can boo" seems to be the in person mantra of the same personality that says, "I paid for this computer, so I'm going to troll".

It's sad because even with the hot start, they can't draw 20,000 combined to two games. But it used to be, those were the fans that never booed, those were the games I was so happy to be able to attend, trading out my Friday games when they had the t-shirts give away to go to those M-Th games, especially the day games. With the fans that really cared about the team, and know that when a guy isn't getting it done, you don't boo him, but on the rare occasion they come through, you treat them like royalty.

Just more of the entitlement sydrome in this country. "How DARE they lose at the only game I'll attend all year on someone else's dime".
Good post! I agree. The culture of our country really is changing and it's reflected in sports.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Amazes me the Pirates site brought up the booing and Tellez coming in. Good for them for, gently at least, admonishing the fan base. We all know MLB and the team affiliate sites rarely go beyond anything resembling a fan rag. Team lost 15-1? "Tired Pirates no match for fresh bats of....." are the kind of headlines you will see for bad days, along with any hilight that is positive. "Starting pitcher K's three opponents", even if the SP gave up all 15 runs.