Official Game Day Thread - 4/6 - Bucs vs O's

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

bucs607179

Re: Official Game Day Thread - 4/6 - Bucs vs O's

Post by bucs607179 »

Chance to win third series in a row tomorrow.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

This one had be clapping and cursing from the 7th inning on
Feel really good for Falter after being booed on opening day.
He couldn't have pitched any better.
With Shelton usually playing the percentages, why didn't he pinch
hit for Tellez in the 10th. He had Cutch and Taylor, both right handed
hitters on the bench
Good move by Shelton pinch running for Bart in the 11th
A big win against a very good team
RAISE IT!!
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Doc wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:34 pm
Bobster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:32 pm Cruz with game winning hit. WE HAD 'EM ALL THE WAY!
You know, Bobster, even though the Bucs won, it feels cheap what with this softball-style way of playing extra innings. But it’s better than losing.
Damn right,doc!!
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

By the way- Surg was at the game
he evened his record to 1-1
Can't wait to read his long dissertation on this one
Possum

Post by Possum »

Okay Surg, I hope you are 2-1 after your next game.
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:55 pm
Bobster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:32 pm Cruz with game winning hit. WE HAD 'EM ALL THE WAY!
You know, Bobster, even though the Bucs won, it feels cheap what with this softball-style way of playing extra innings. But it’s better than losing.
Damn right,doc!!
It's not baseball. I hate it.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:06 am
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:55 pm

Damn right,doc!!
It's not baseball. I hate it.
I have the same reaction regarding t the DH, Interleague play, and the replay system. It’s not baseball to me.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Finally home! I know they have analytics, I know it's early in the season. But yesterday and today, both pitchers were at low pitch counts. I thought that was the determining factor, not the innings. I have no problem Shelton sending Jones and Falter out for the 7th, with the caveat they have a short leash. I think right now Shelton is enamored with a bullpen rating that was only earned based upon having the two guys who are currently rehabbing. It's like his shiny toy he just has to play with. He needs to be a bit better there. Both pitchers had a good 15-20 pitches left. IDK, maybe the inning thing is in play because of warm ups. I didn't get to see the post game presser, and they didn't play it on the radio when I was listening driving home.

Of course, the big non-move was letting Tellez hit against the lefty. Now, we all complain when he rests a guy the day after a good game. Tellez was having a good game. However, that was a time to "rest" Tellez. You send McCutchen up there. He supposedly has a good eye, and if he fails more than likely it's a tip of the cap moment. Cutch doesn't have to do much, and because he's faster, even if he hits a grounder to the infield and they come home, he's less likely to be doubled up at first, which is a big if with Tellez running. In other words, he keeps the bases loaded and one out.

Good call by Rabelo holding Reynolds, we were all shocked he did. Reynolds would have been out by a mile.

Now, I can complain about the horrendous RISP mark, but part of that was due to some tremendous defense by the entire Orioles outfield. However, once again, we have guys at third base, and the ball isn't even being put in play, they're either popping up, or striking out. When Alika Williams was up, that was the perfect time to at least take one shot at a safety squeeze. Instead, he pops up to the catcher.

Of course, I posted earlier at the game, he should have been benched right there. He already committed an error on what would have been an inning ending double play. To stand there at home plate and not have any baseball IQ going, meaning he should have known that ball could drift back into play in fair territory, which it did, had that ball been mishandled, he didn't run the play out. Just imagine had it dropped. He would have been standing on first via an error, and the bases would have been loaded with one out.

The crowd today was a baseball crowd. People weren't up and down all game. The Orioles fans showed up, the first base line was a sea of orange. They must have heard my dig at them yesterday!

So two bugaboos that just won't go away, situational hitting (the Orioles put a clinic on how to score a lot of runs with few hits....lots of productive outs), and once again, the lack of communication on those pop ups. That's on Shelton for sure, it's been an issue his entire tenure. But as Bobster noted, maybe if these guys weren't in and out, moved here and there every other game, the guys who should be steady fixtures can gain that cohesion.

It's time to send Suwinski down. We can't keep waiting for a "hot streak", and I swear that HR off the lefty last week has kept him in play for only that reason. Olivares may not be as good a defender, but right now I trust an outfield of Reynolds-Taylor-Olivares much more than Suwinski being out there. He needs to go back to AAA.

Williams should be sent packing tonight. He had the error, he was a central figure on the "hit" that Falter allowed, he didn't run out that pop up that could have been dropped. He's not making it happen on defense. He's excess baggage.

Triolo is also being exposed defensively. He just does not have any range, at least to my eye test. I would like him to move into Williams role, bring Peguero up, or even Nick Gonzales, though I think Peguero is a better defender as a SS if someone has to play for Cruz. With as much playing time as Williams is getting now, why on earth don't you upgrade the entire situation?

Lastly, can't say enough about Bailey Falter. He was on the post game show, and discussed what they changed in the pitchers meeting. He said he feels like his head is cleared, specifically about his inability to just get out of the first inning scoreless. I would have loved for him to go out in the 7th.

Ryder Ryan is an internet sensation with the wild movement on his pitches. Yet, he doesn't seem to be very reliable getting guys out so far. I'd stay with him, and see if they can get him adjusted.

Oritz has been a beast. He may have found his role.

Good to see the GDT had a lot of great comments to read.

Going for the series tomorrow!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I find it ironic that during the game, when the winner of the designated driver prize is shown on the big screen, the PA announcer is doing a plug for alcohol
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Does anyone know why Shelton was out talking to the umps during the top of the 11th? He seemed pretty heated, and had the lineup card