2024 Official OBN Predictions Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

bucs607179

Re: 2024 Official OBN Predictions Thread

Post by bucs607179 »

Most of the clickbait articles I get sucked into are not as optimistic as some of us appear to be. Generally I'm seeing 70-78 wins. A few had us in the high 60's. I realize they are just writers opinions but I'd sure be happier seeing some predict the 80+ wins.

Headed up to The Hard Rock before season starts. The over/under there is 75.5. C note on the over. Beat em Bucs!!
Javy

Post by Javy »

With the questions about the pitching, starters in particular, I'm not as optimistic as most. I also am not as certain that the ST offense will carry too far into the season and the inability to score runs will rear its ugly head again.
Hope I am wrong, but I still think additions like Tellez and Grandal, an oft-injured Marco Gonzalez, and the annual dumpster dives for other pitchers is like putting lipstick on a pig.

76-86...671 runs
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Javy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:44 pm With the questions about the pitching, starters in particular, I'm not as optimistic as most. I also am not as certain that the ST offense will carry too far into the season and the inability to score runs will rear its ugly head again.
Hope I am wrong, but I still think additions like Tellez and Grandal, an oft-injured Marco Gonzalez, and the annual dumpster dives for other pitchers is like putting lipstick on a pig.

76-86...671 runs
That's pretty much how I see it. I think there will be some good things this season like Cruz and Davis and Hayes. Reynolds will contribute. Maybe Triolo and/or Peguero excite us. But we might also be seeing a historically bad starting rotation and an overworked bullpen. Keller was our best last year but not one of MLB's best. Gonzales is a reclamation project after missing most of 2023 with arm surgery. Perez has looked good but he struggled as a starter last year. Until Skenes and Jones get in the rotation, it'll be 2 among Ortiz, Falter, Fleming, Priester, Anderson or Contreras. Yikes!
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Bobster wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:21 pm
Javy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:44 pm With the questions about the pitching, starters in particular, I'm not as optimistic as most. I also am not as certain that the ST offense will carry too far into the season and the inability to score runs will rear its ugly head again.

76-86...671 runs
That's pretty much how I see it. I think there will be some good things this season like Cruz and Davis and Hayes. Reynolds will contribute. Maybe Triolo and/or Peguero excite us. But we might also be seeing a historically bad starting rotation and an overworked bullpen. Keller was our best last year but not one of MLB's best. Gonzales is a reclamation project after missing most of 2023 with arm surgery. Perez has looked good but he struggled as a starter last year. Until Skenes and Jones get in the rotation, it'll be 2 among Ortiz, Falter, Fleming, Priester, Anderson or Contreras. Yikes!
I hate being negative about our Bucs, but I feel like the ownership/management of the organization has spent the last 3 decades trying to make a profit as opposed to being competitive. It's like they can't figure out how to do both at the same time, akin to walking and chewing gum.
I watched with bewilderment when they signed Tellez and let a more established hitter like CJ Cron sit out there and get a ML deal with Boston, even though I realize it could have simply been a left/right hitter decision.
I agree on what you feel could be positives this year. I always liked Gonzalez when he was a regular starter for some bad Mariners teams. Not a lot of wins, but was always in the game. Here's hoping his arm problems are behind him. Perez has baffled more baseball people than most, but there was always talent there. He rarely pitched to it, like last year. I think the final starters will come down to Fleming, Priester and Anderson, with Falter in the bullpen and Ortiz and Contreras getting sent down.
I'm hopeful on Cruz and Davis, and curious to see if Hayes really turned the corner as a hitter.I would REALLY like to be wrong about my prediction, but history hasn't given me much hope that I will be. Could be the swan song for Cherington and the manager/coaches.
mouse

Post by mouse »

86-76 - 738 runs

I'm trying not to be as optimistic this year.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Bobster, for reasons I'd rather not give please change my prediction to the following:

74-88 743 runs

I think you said we can change it before start of season. Thank You!!
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

bucs607179 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:22 am Bobster, for reasons I'd rather not give please change my prediction to the following:

74-88 743 runs

I think you said we can change it before start of season. Thank You!!
No problem.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hey, Bobster, I want to change the number of runs I think our Bucs will score to 746. I think the offense is going to do better than I thought six weeks ago. It's possible up to five guys (Cruz, Reynolds, Suwinski, Davis, and Tellez) will hit 20-25 HRs, that's if Rowdy is with the club the whole year. Maybe a couple of them will even exceed 30.

Thanks.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:50 pm Hey, Bobster, I want to change the number of runs I think our Bucs will score to 746. I think the offense is going to do better than I thought six weeks ago. It's possible up to five guys (Cruz, Reynolds, Suwinski, Davis, and Tellez) will hit 20-25 HRs, that's if Rowdy is with the club the whole year. Maybe a couple of them will even exceed 30.

Thanks.
Done.
jkenn13

Post by jkenn13 »

80-82 - 743