Baseball changes over the years

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Baseball changes over the years

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:30 pm Ball parks going from all grass, to almost half of them artificial turf, back to almost all grass.

When the astroturf ruled, pre- post modern revitalization era: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, St Louis, Montreal, Houston, San Francisco, Toronto, Seattle, Kansas City, Minnesota, Chicago White Sox infield. Some teams switched back at some point.

Now there are only 5 teams that play on an artificial surface: Toronto, Tampa Bay, Texas, Arizona, and Miami. All the domed stadiums.
I can understand football being played on the new artificial stuff with the abuse the field takes but baseball, the pastoral game, is meant to be played on grass and dirt. So glad to see all of the new parks and the beautiful grass inside them.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Even though the average pitcher goes 6 or 7 innings, the clubs seem to be sticking to
5 days between starts. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that years ago it was 4
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Back in the day I don't remember as many Arm Surgeries.Of course the name Tommy John wasn't used .
Also, most pitchers didn't have a variety of pitches like they do today.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:39 pm Back in the day I don't remember as many Arm Surgeries.Of course the name Tommy John wasn't used .
Also, most pitchers didn't have a variety of pitches like they do today.
You remind me of those guys who developed bad arms but never knew what was wrong. Think of the guys with shoulder issues who had torn rotator cuffs but doctors were unable to diagnose that situation. (I think that’s what may have been Gene Alley’s problem but no one had any idea about torn cuffs back then.). Lots of pitchers faded from the game but never knew what their injury was specifically. Medical advances over the past 50 years have definitely changed the game for the good.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Remembering when there were eight teams in each league. The two first place teams played in the World Series.
No divisions winners, no wildcards
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I guess rule changes could go crazy in here. But one huge change is there are no knuckleballers. To this day, I still don't understand why more guys don't at least practice it. Can you imagine if someone had one passable enough he'd throw it maybe only 3-4 times in a game? Just enough to give the batters a little more to think about. I know it's a hard pitch to pull off, but growing up, there were always a handfull of them in the majors. Heck, I remember you had both Joe and Phil Niekro, Charlie Hough, Wilbur Wood, Tom Candiotti, then Tim Wakefield and R. A. Dickey kept it going.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:39 pm I guess rule changes could go crazy in here. But one huge change is there are no knuckleballers. To this day, I still don't understand why more guys don't at least practice it. Can you imagine if someone had one passable enough he'd throw it maybe only 3-4 times in a game? Just enough to give the batters a little more to think about. I know it's a hard pitch to pull off, but growing up, there were always a handfull of them in the majors. Heck, I remember you had both Joe and Phil Niekro, Charlie Hough, Wilbur Wood, Tom Candiotti, then Tim Wakefield and R. A. Dickey kept it going.
Very good point!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

another change (minor one) is the introduction of batting gloves and base running gloves. I don't remember exactly when first batting gloves were used but guessing early 1970's. Anyone remember if Lou Brock used them at end of his career?

I don't think Omar Moreno wore gloves on the basepaths.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

100 pitch limits.
Relievers designated for specific innings.
"Opener" pitchers.
Managing the bullpen to accommodate saves for the closer.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Two feats that will never be duplicated
Nolan Ryan 235 pitches in one game
Robin Roberts- Started and finished both ends of a DH
Threw well over 300 pitches that night and pitched 17 innings