Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Possum »

I would like to discuss what options the Bucs have in constructing their 40-man roster up until the Rule 5 draft.
I don't expect everyone to agree on who they would cut or keep. Just let us know what you think.
I am concerned about 2 players that should be considered as add's to the 40-man. Joshua Palacios and Miguel Andujar.
I think Palacios is a lock to make the 40-man because he is a great bench player with tons of power and he loves the game of baseball. The biggest question is his age.
I think Andujar is another guy who might deserve a 40-man spot despite his age and the fact that if he left off the 40-man he would become a free agent. He is a late bloomer but I don't care.
Then there are a few other decisions the Bucs need to make about players that must be left off the 40-man to protect Rule 5 prospects.
Tell us what you guys think.
Let's Go Bucs
fjk090852-7

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I totally agree with you regarding the 40 man roster. The way Palacios has played he deserves to remain on the winter roster. Andujar is a very interesting player who if gets designated could turn into another’s teams very good player. There are several players such as Kranick, Cruz and Brubaker who must return to the roster shortly after the World Series concludes. In order to avoid taking a roster spot,my guess is they may not negotiate an agreement with Cutch until during or after the Winter Meetings in December. There will be players taken off the roster like Capra and Williams, but there will be other roster moves to be made in order to return injured players to the roster or to add players to protect from the Rule 5 Draft. I think it will be a very interesting offseason.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Would like to keep both as well so I will list those I would dump
Vinnie Capra
Alfonso Rivas
Alika Williams
Thomas HatchAng
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:34 pm Would like to keep both as well so I will list those I would dump
Vinnie Capra
Alfonso Rivas
Alika Williams
Thomas HatchAng
I would agree all 4 of those players could be dropped from the roster. I think a player like Bido is on the bubble, and possibly Bolton. They will need roster space if they want to sign a first baseman and a starting pitcher, and a veteran for the bullpen.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

IDK who the rule 5 eligible guys are going to be yet, but I'll throw my 2 cents in on the current 40 man, and who I'd keep.

First, we have to look at the 60 day IL guys:
Brubaker, Garcia, Perdomo, Velasquez, Cruz, Marcano, and McCutchen.

Brubaker and Cruz are no brainers. They will be part of the 40.

I would not exercise Garcia's option, and let him walk. I would DFA Perdomo. I would DFA Williams in exchange for keeping Marcano. Cutch and Velasquez will be free agents. I would hold a spot open for Cutch, which is easily done by DFA Rivas. I would not pursue Velasquez as a FA again.

So now that' I've taken care of the 60 day IL, here's what I'd keep from the current 40 man:
Pitchers (19): Bednar, Bido, Borucki, Brubaker, Burrows, Contreras, De Los Santos, Falter, Hernandez, Holderman, Keller, Kranick, Mlodzinski, Moreta, Ortiz, Oviedo, Priester, Selby, Wolf. I've DFA or jettisoned Bolton, Garcia, Hatch, Jackson, Nicolas, Perdomo, Stratton, Velasquez.

Catchers (3): Davis, Delay, Rodriquez

Infielders (7): Bae, Cruz, Gonzales, Hayes, Marcano, Peguero, Triolo. I DFA Capra, Rivas, and Williams

Outfielders (6): Andujar, Joe, Palacios, Reynolds, Smith-Njigba, Suwinski.

That's 35 spots, leaving at least 2 open for Rule 5 guys, and 3 for free agents. I think a lot of the DFA candidates will get through waivers and stay in the system, and provide the "organizational depth" that is needed.

The Pirates, specifically Cherington, has pretty much said they will probably be bringing Cutch back, and at least one FA starting pitcher.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Surgnbuck wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:25 pm IDK who the rule 5 eligible guys are going to be yet, but I'll throw my 2 cents in on the current 40 man, and who I'd keep.

First, we have to look at the 60 day IL guys:
Brubaker, Garcia, Perdomo, Velasquez, Cruz, Marcano, and McCutchen.

Brubaker and Cruz are no brainers. They will be part of the 40.

I would not exercise Garcia's option, and let him walk. I would DFA Perdomo. I would DFA Williams in exchange for keeping Marcano. Cutch and Velasquez will be free agents. I would hold a spot open for Cutch, which is easily done by DFA Rivas. I would not pursue Velasquez as a FA again.

So now that' I've taken care of the 60 day IL, here's what I'd keep from the current 40 man:
Pitchers (19): Bednar, Bido, Borucki, Brubaker, Burrows, Contreras, De Los Santos, Falter, Hernandez, Holderman, Keller, Kranick, Mlodzinski, Moreta, Ortiz, Oviedo, Priester, Selby, Wolf. I've DFA or jettisoned Bolton, Garcia, Hatch, Jackson, Nicolas, Perdomo, Stratton, Velasquez.

Catchers (3): Davis, Delay, Rodriquez

Infielders (7): Bae, Cruz, Gonzales, Hayes, Marcano, Peguero, Triolo. I DFA Capra, Rivas, and Williams

Outfielders (6): Andujar, Joe, Palacios, Reynolds, Smith-Njigba, Suwinski.

That's 35 spots, leaving at least 2 open for Rule 5 guys, and 3 for free agents. I think a lot of the DFA candidates will get through waivers and stay in the system, and provide the "organizational depth" that is needed.

The Pirates, specifically Cherington, has pretty much said they will probably be bringing Cutch back, and at least one FA starting pitcher.
Your projected roster looks good. I myself think that Jackson has looked good in short appearances. Could be that long man out of the bullpen. I would also like to see more of Stratton. Wednesday night against the Cubs he did a good job facing the heart of the Cubs order. He had a big lead yes, but he went right after the three hitters. He too could be a good bullpen pitcher.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Rule 5 Draft Rules for 2024
Players on an organization's 40-man roster are protected from the Rule 5 Draft. To be eligible for selection, a player must either have spent four seasons in professional baseball after signing at age 19 or older, or spent five seasons in pro ball after signing at 18 or younger (as of June 5 of that year).

A team that makes a selection pays a player's previous team $100,000 and places the player on its 40-man roster, then must keep the player on the 25-man roster or disabled list for the whole season. (He must be active for at least 90 days, so teams can't hide him on the injured list the whole time.) If the acquiring team removes the player from the big league roster, it must offer him back to the former team for $50,000.
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surge’s list was pretty good but I’d make a few changes:
1. I’d keep Jackson as a bullpen arm/emergency starter.
2. I’d decide on keeping either Bae or Marcano. Cruz, Peguero, and Gonzales will easily share the middle infield positions with Triolo in reserve.
3. I’d cut ties with Smith-Njigba. If he couldn’t break into the outfield during this season he never will. Besides, Palacios will make for a very good bench bat because he’s older.
4. If I were Ben Cherington, my most important action would be going hard after Cody Bellinger. There’s no one to play 1B. He’d be amazing in the middle of our line-up. And with all the young guys on the roster, there’d be no trouble paying him. If Cruz ends up moving to 1B because of his leg, Bellinger can move to CF and then the outfield suddenly becomes one of the best in the league.

Someone mentioned Palacios being older. I don’t think that matters because the Pirates rarely keep a player beyond five years anyway.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I was in the car this morning listening to the radio when a caller to a sports talk show claimed that Jack Suwinski is going to be the next Mickey Mantle. Chew on that for awhile. Jack Suwinski. Mickey freaking Mantle.
Possum

Post by Possum »

There is also discussion on local sports talk shows that due to the roster crunch next season, the Bucs might need to let Cutch go so some of the kids can stay around. That would be a big kick in the ass for Cutch, a guy who really bleeds black & gold to not reach the 300-homer level if he is forced to retire by the Bucs. If he does retire due to his Achilles injury that would be different. If he does not retire, it would be a hit on the Bucs PR situation on the Burgh.
Let's Go Bucs