Glasnow and Bell...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by dmetz »

4C6D787149706B786D7C190 wrote:

Maybe the mythical Searage can work with him when he is called up?  Sprinkle some of that magic dust on his arm

This was probably meant to be facetious, but it kind of hit me. Maybe it is time for Glasnow to spend some time with Searage. Perhaps that is the next logical step in his progression ... A few Searage tweaks might improve his control and bring the walks down.

No you're right. It was only about half a joke. I like to kid around about the Searage effect, I'm not a big believer that it makes a big difference, but hey whatever might work is good with me.

I've been looking at his AAA lines and AAA hitters are taking a bunch on him too. They can't hit him, so they're trying to walk.

I'm just saying since we are absolutely in a race, it's one of those faster than the bear situations. You don't have to be faster than the bear, you just have to be faster than one of the other 5 guys in the rotation for the callup to be successful.
SammyKhalifa

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

333A32232D570 wrote:

Maybe the mythical Searage can work with him when he is called up?  Sprinkle some of that magic dust on his arm

This was probably meant to be facetious, but it kind of hit me. Maybe it is time for Glasnow to spend some time with Searage. Perhaps that is the next logical step in his progression ... A few Searage tweaks might improve his control and bring the walks down.

No you're right.  It was only about half a joke.   I like to kid around about the Searage effect, I'm not a big believer that it makes a big difference, but hey whatever might work is good with me.

I've been looking at his AAA lines and AAA hitters are taking a bunch on him too.  They can't hit him, so they're trying to walk.   

I'm just saying since we are absolutely in a race, it's one of those faster than the bear situations.  You don't have to be faster than the bear, you just have to be faster than one of the other 5 guys in the rotation for the callup to be successful. 

Maybe.

Though I wonder what this current version of Francisco Liriano would do against AAA hitting.  My guess is that he'd skewer them.

It seems strange for people (I'm including myself here) to question Liriano's inclusion in the rotation because he walks too many guys, while calling for Glasnow to come up despite him walking too many guys.  What's the point if we are calling up Fransisco Liriano Junior?  I don't know if that's the case but it seems odd to want it both ways. 
Steve19981

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by Steve19981 »

505951404E340 wrote:

Glasnow isn't going.deep into games because he's  strikeout pitcher who can dominate lineups and not another one of our beloved ground ball pitchers who pitch to contact; prone to a bad start every 3 as luck dictates.

AAA hitters aren't swinging, as evidence of his K looking rates so yes his pitch counts are high as he's striking out double digits and alot of them looking.  I wish his control was better too, but it's not and we are in a race.

There are 11 qualified pitchers striking out more than 10 batters per nine in the majors right now. 7 have averaged more than 6 innings per start. Of the four that did not, 3 had walk rates higher than 3.5 BB/9. Only one picked walked more that 3.5 per nine in the sample and lasted more than six innings.

Glasnow is averaging 5.6 which would have tied him for second worst in the sample.

Of the top 10 pitches in IP in baseball, all but two have a K/9 higher than 8, half are striking out a batter per or better. Only one has a BB/9 higher than 2.5. Two of the top three had a K/9 higher than 10.

Of the 8 qualified AAA pitchers with a K/9 higher than 9. Glasnow ranked 5th in terms of innings per start. All of the top three in innings per start walked less than 3.2 per 9.

While I'm sure the strikeouts had some impact on his efficiency, to me, the walks are what's dragging him down. And that's not to mention the positive effects a low BABIP has had for his length.

OrlandoMerced

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Hello all, new to the board.

Glasnow is not being called up because of Glasnow. His Strike/Pitches percentage was around 55% in AAA. That's I think worse than what Liriano is doing. It's really hard to imagine him being effective when getting into so many hitters' counts.

I think they're better off letting him resolve those issues in AAA, they would definitely run the risk of putting undue strain on the bullpen by brining him up.
Ecbucs

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by Ecbucs »

526F68726F68060 wrote: i do hope that the silliness of this "hes not ready" argument is not being lost on people.  his ERA is 1.70.    he is giving up less than 6 hits per 9 and almost striking out 11.   his walk rate is 4.9 per 9.    if his walk rate were 3.6 per 9 and he was giving up 7.5 hits per 9 he would be allowing EXACTLY the same number of baserunners and everyone would be fine with it. he would be ready lol.

its not that hes not ready, its more like hes not perfect.   as Kuhl and now brault and his 1.40+ whip get called up as "ready "

Well don't you think that might mean they're seeing something we're not?  They're not holding him down for fun.  And it's not like they're being shy about calling up other guys.  There are all sorts of convoluted theories one could come up with as to why they're keeping him down specifically, but the simplest one seems to be that they actually believe what they're saying. 

As they give Alfredo Boscan start opportunities?   Taillon just got shut down for a while on his innings limit, so Glasnow will be up almost for sure Brault next time though.

This keeps NH from having to put his guy, Niese, in the pen after a solid start vs the Cards, his first in 6 tries.

Glasnow isn't going.deep into games because he's  strikeout pitcher who can dominate lineups and not another one of our beloved ground ball pitchers who pitch to contact; prone to a bad start every 3 as luck dictates.

AAA hitters aren't swinging, as evidence of his K looking rates so yes his pitch counts are high as he's striking out double digits and alot of them looking.  I wish his control was better too, but it's not and we are in a race.

Maybe the mythical Searage can work with him when he is called up?   Sprinkle some of that magic dust on his arm

Boscan is not part of the long term plan.  Him getting blown up in majors would be just a game lost.  Anything we get out of him is profit.

Glasnow walking people and getting shelled might hinder development he still has to make.

Boscan is like Fryer and Kratz.  They are short term fixes and will be handled differently that our long term prospects.

I don't see that if Glasnow comes up and gets blasted that it would hurt his development. If he is that fragile then he is going to have trouble later on. Now if the Bucs are 90% certain that will happen there is no reason to bring him up and give away a game at this point in the season.
SammyKhalifa

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

704D535E515B50725A4D5C5A5B3F0 wrote: Hello all, new to the board. 

Glasnow is not being called up because of Glasnow.  His Strike/Pitches percentage was around 55% in AAA.  That's I think worse than what Liriano is doing.  It's really hard to imagine him being effective when getting into so many hitters' counts. 

I think they're better off letting him resolve those issues in AAA, they would definitely run the risk of putting undue strain on the bullpen by brining him up.

Welcome Orlando!
ArnoldRothstein

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I think Glasnow's control issues are being exaggerated. Overall:

2012: 4.0 BB/9 (38 innings)

2013: 4.9

2014: 4.1

2015: 3.5

2016: 4.9

And: 2016 breaks down to:

April: 3.0 BB/9

May: 4.6

June: 6.9

That June number has to be viewed in conjunction with 2.3 H/9, of course.  Overall, you'd have to say that he doesn't have some sort of pathological wildness, because he made steady progress for several years and was actually down to a pretty normal level. 

Edit: unrelated to the above, but the guy also hasn't given up an unearned run all year.

dmetz

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by dmetz »

The control numbers are being exaggerated. there is a middle ground between some kid being brought up here and getting hammered, and being called up and being a #1 starter. Sure, he's going to lay an egg occasionally with erratic control. He will also strike himself out of jams as opposed to Niese who just serves it up there and crosses his fingers for luck, like last night

Glasnow walked 1 and struck out 8 his last start. Hopefully that's the end of it and he's up for Brault next time through. 1 week :)
SammyKhalifa

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

38313928265C0 wrote: The control numbers are being exaggerated.   there is a middle ground between some kid being brought up here and getting hammered, and being called up and being a #1 starter.    Sure, he's going to lay an egg occasionally with erratic control.  He will also strike himself out of jams as opposed to Niese who just serves it up there and crosses his fingers for luck, like last night

Glasnow walked 1 and struck out 8 his last start.   Hopefully that's the end of it and he's up for Brault next time through.   1 week  :)

I'm wondering if they don't just keep things as is until the ASB, at which point they bring back cole, taillon, maybe glasnow; have a bunch of big decisions to make.

I could see Sunday or whatever too.
SteadyFreddy

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by SteadyFreddy »

3A333B2A245E0 wrote: The control numbers are being exaggerated.   there is a middle ground between some kid being brought up here and getting hammered, and being called up and being a #1 starter.    Sure, he's going to lay an egg occasionally with erratic control.  He will also strike himself out of jams as opposed to Niese who just serves it up there and crosses his fingers for luck, like last night

Glasnow walked 1 and struck out 8 his last start.   Hopefully that's the end of it and he's up for Brault next time through.   1 week  :) Glasnow could definitely be brought up by Sunday for Brault the next time he is scheduled to pitch in the rotation. We will see how it goes but it will be interesting to see who gets the start on Sunday the final game before the All Star game. Glasnow is definitely close to being called up I definitely think he will be up after the break within a week or two.