AAA Indianpolis Indians

AA Altoona Curve

High A Greensboro Grasshoppers

Single A Bradenton Mauraders
Let's Go Bucs
fjk090852-7

Re: Official Minor League Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Wilton Guerrero Jr appears not to be able to sign during the upcoming signing period for International Free Agents. I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw that he would be eligible in 2025. According to reports earlier this year the Pirates are supposed to sign Bralyn Brazoban during this year’s International Free Agent Period.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:47 pm
Wilton Guerrero Jr appears not to be able to sign during the upcoming signing period for International Free Agents. I may be mistaken, but I thought I saw that he would be eligible in 2025. According to reports earlier this year the Pirates are supposed to sign Bralyn Brazoban during this year’s International Free Agent Period.
Instead of the Pirates signing guys who are years away from the major leagues, if they’ll ever get here at all, how about they do everything possible to sign guys who can help them both now and over the next few years? The payroll’s going to be embarrassingly small again this year. I want you, or anyone, to give me a reason, any reason, why they can’t sign Cody Bellinger.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:56 am
Instead of the Pirates signing guys who are years away from the major leagues, if they’ll ever get here at all, how about they do everything possible to sign guys who can help them both now and over the next few years? The payroll’s going to be embarrassingly small again this year. I want you, or anyone, to give me a reason, any reason, why they can’t sign Cody Bellinger.
We cannot sign top of the line free agents because we have an owner who provides our GM with a budget that is not competitive with other MLB teams. You are aware of that as well as myself, and as longtime Pirates fans we have to accept, but not agree as to how our owner operates this franchise.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:48 am

We cannot sign top of the line free agents because we have an owner who provides our GM with a budget that is not competitive with other MLB teams. You are aware of that as well as myself, and as longtime Pirates fans we have to accept, but not agree as to how our owner operates this franchise.
I asked why the Pirates "can't" sign Bellinger. You told me why they "won't". And no, we don't have to "accept" that. That's exactly what Nutting wants: an acceptance and belief that he's unable to sign top talent. It allows him to continue to operate the way he does. He's playing a zero sum game where he wins and we fans lose. I don't understand why you've decided we have to accept that.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:41 am

I asked why the Pirates "can't" sign Bellinger. You told me why they "won't". And no, we don't have to "accept" that. That's exactly what Nutting wants: an acceptance and belief that he's unable to sign top talent. It allows him to continue to operate the way he does. He's playing a zero sum game where he wins and we fans lose. I don't understand why you've decided we have to accept that.
I guess I accept Nuttings ways is because I have followed the Bucs for over 62 years. Pirates baseball is part of my DNA. I have followed Clemente, Stargell, Groat, Maz and Donn Clendenon. Sure, I would really enjoy several playoff more games like the 2013 Wild Card Game. Sometimes I wonder whether Nuttings long term goal is to get the fan base so upset with losing that he will approach MLB to move the franchise to Nashville or Charlotte. I am sure the city of Pittsburgh and possibly MLB would oppose the movement of the franchise, but Nutting with his Scrooge attitude would still attempt to move it. I have noted it in the past, but MLB needs a floor so owners such as Nutting need to spend to a specific amount each year. If a team doesn’t spend to a certain percentage to the floor amount they get penalized whether by money, or draft choices. Something such as that would force Nutting to spend or sell to someone who would be willing to pay up to the annual floor amount.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

It's easy to say we "won't accept" that. What do you propose?

I'm certain Nutting doesn't think the fan base believes he is unable to sign top talent. The fan base is well aware that he simply chooses not to. Nutting knows the fans don't like it. He knows the fans are always angry. But he has a monopoly on MLB in Pittsburgh. It's not as if fans are flocking to the ballpark. In 2023 their attendance was 26th of 30. Nutting doesn't care. He knows attendance increases if he puts more money into the team and improves them. But he's making a profit without doing that.

It's not as if the fans are being fooled and don't see how Nutting operates. MLB refuses to make Nutting operate any differently. What should fans do about it?
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:02 pm

I guess I accept Nuttings ways is because I have followed the Bucs for over 62 years. Pirates baseball is part of my DNA. I have followed Clemente, Stargell, Groat, Maz and Donn Clendenon. Sure, I would really enjoy several playoff more games like the 2013 Wild Card Game. Sometimes I wonder whether Nuttings long term goal is to get the fan base so upset with losing that he will approach MLB to move the franchise to Nashville or Charlotte. I am sure the city of Pittsburgh and possibly MLB would oppose the movement of the franchise, but Nutting with his Scrooge attitude would still attempt to move it. I have noted it in the past, but MLB needs a floor so owners such as Nutting need to spend to a specific amount each year. If a team doesn’t spend to a certain percentage to the floor amount they get penalized whether by money, or draft choices. Something such as that would force Nutting to spend or sell to someone who would be willing to pay up to the annual floor amount.
I don't think it's Nutting's intention to move the Pirates. He's fine where he is because he's found a way to maximize his profits with little risk. He's perfectly content to have the current system, where he's basically a welfare recipient, remain in place because it's easier for him this way. He doesn't have to increase spending because he's not required to. He's happy to go along with the way things are, aligning himself with the big market owners in keeping the current system in place. In exchange, those owners are fine with sharing money with Nutting because he's not trying to compete with them on the field.

We all know a cap/floor is in our best interests as Pirates fans, but it's not going to happen. Wishing for it, demanding it, won't bring it about. Nor will protesting against him, trying to embarrass him into change, demanding that he sell move Nutting in the least. He's incapable of feeling shame. He's in it to make as much money as he can regardless of the criticism that comes his way.

What frustrates me is when people/fans buy into the lie that the Pirates can't afford to sign a top end free agent. Nutting is simply unwilling to do it because I'm convinced he abhors the uncertainty that comes with the additional spending. Back in 2013-15, his payroll jumped to around $100 million and, while the team was more competitive, it didn't win even a division title. I think right there he decided it wasn't worth the added expense to try to win because there were no guarantees. The man doesn't have the stomach for the risks inherent with owning a baseball franchise.

Like you, I've been a long time Pirates fan, and I'll remain one until my time is done. But this owner is testing my resolve. He's a liar, and he's convinced too many people that he's unable to compete. It's not that he's unable. It's that he's unwilling.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

I just read an article on Bleacher Report that the Pirates are screening the
questions which will be asked ahead of Pirate Fest 2024
I will be interested in what you guys have to say about that.