Anybody interested....

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

TheMoose

Anybody interested....

Post by TheMoose »

082C383035590 wrote: I wasn't always so cynical.  But im just about ready to believe that anybody that runs for office is automatically unfit to hold the office.

I don't think I've ever voted against a presidential candidate, I've always found a reason to vote "for" someone.  But with this election, there is simply no one to vote "for" IMHO. 

I don't mean to offend anyone on here, but I genuinely believe that Clinton avoided indictment simply because she is above the law compared to the rest of us.  And Trump I'm convinced doesn't know the difference between the constitution and his own warped opinion. 

Can anyone give me even one positive reason to vote for either of these two?

Possum For President

"A Possum In Every Pot"

I can give you my 'positive' reasoning although it is not necessarily something that everyone will view as lavishly positive.

The last true Washington outsider that was elected president was Jimmy Carter. He is a man that I admire as a thoughtful, intelligent and ethical human being, arguably the man with the finest character to hold the office of president in my lifetime.

Unfortunately his presidency was a failure on many levels. He lacked the experience and knowledge to wield executive power, build consensus and to effectively lead the nation. Learning on the job as president is necessary and expected, but there is a minimum basic prerequisite understanding of the job that must be met for a successful presidency.

Of the two major candidates only Hillary Clinton has the experience in government to meet that prerequisite. Donald Trump has less government experience than Jimmy Carter. I would expect a Trump presidency to be fraught with the same practical inadequacies as the Carter administration. In fact when it comes to building consensus it's clear that Donald Trump's problem in achieving that even within his own party is worse than Carter's. One can agree or disagree with Trump's proposed policies, but I see his chances of accomplishing anything as president as extremely remote.

I will be voting for Hillary Clinton mostly in recognition of her experience in the executive and legislative branches of government and her knowledge of how to 'work the system' which a leader must do to be able to lead. I would rather have a strong and successful presidency where I may not be in total agreement with every policy than a failed presidency of any sort.   

That's pretty much were I'm at.

Clinton is far from a perfect candidate, and there's little doubt that she hasn't been completely honest about her emails. But at least she isn't lying through her teeth at every campaign event.

Meanwhile, I recently watched a Trump stump speech, from beginning to end. it lasted 66 minutes. And in those 66 minutes, I counted 15 outright lies, exaggerations, and misrepresentations. And I'm just a semi-informed old fart with a PC. There were probably more.

So, when he, or the rest of the Republicans call Hillary a liar, I just laugh. It seems to me that Trump is building his campaign on a foundation of lies.
Ecbucs

Anybody interested....

Post by Ecbucs »

I agree with Quail. I have not liked Clinton and can't believe she was elected Senator in New York.

However, she does have government experience and knows the system.

IMO, Trump would make a great dictator. But I can't see him working with Congress and he has changed his positions so much that who knows what he really wants to do.

Did everyone see that former Texas Governor and Trump supporter Rick Perry said it is impossible to build a wall between US and Mexico?

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... gital-wall
DemDog

Anybody interested....

Post by DemDog »

Moose,

You hit it right on the head about Jimmy Carter. I am a big fan but when it came to that 1976 election I for one crossed party lines and voted for Gerry Ford for that exact reason. A lack of true experience of using his executive power to build consensus so the govt could be run to benefit the people.

I'm not the biggest Hillary fan but she is certainly better in my view than Trump or any Republican candidate in the last 30 years.

Oh how I long for the bi-partisan politics of my youth and young adulthood. The nation got things done and done better in those days.
TheMoose

Anybody interested....

Post by TheMoose »

1B3D3C2B3D2D5E0 wrote:

Did everyone see that former Texas Governor and Trump supporter Rick Perry said it is impossible to build a wall between US and Mexico? 

Oh, he can build a wall (at great expense), but he can't build a continual 1200 mile long one. The terrain along the border is too uneven. So, it would wind up going wall-gap-wall-gap-wall-gap-wall. Making the whole project silly and a waste of money. If someone wanted to cross the border, they still could around Trump's gappy wall.
rucker59@gmail.com

Anybody interested....

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7448456D4F4F5345200 wrote:

Oh, he can build a wall (at great expense), but he can't build a continual 1200 mile long one.  The terrain along the border is too uneven.  So, it would wind up going wall-gap-wall-gap-wall-gap-wall.  Making the whole project silly and a waste of money.  If someone wanted to cross the border, they still could around Trump's gappy wall. 

It's not a waste of money - he's making Mexico pay for it!

See, that's a positive reason to vote for someone! :D
rucker59@gmail.com

Anybody interested....

OK, I hear the argument that Clinton has experience. But I consider that more of a negative reflection on Trump than a positive on Hillary.

I'm looking for someone that can heal this country, deal with terrorism, lead the free world because a leader is definitely needed. We need someone who can reign in the deficit without smashing the economy. And that's the agenda just for the first Monday.

Honestly - I think either of these candidates will go into office with such a negative opinion that they will further divide this country. In most places, as far as I can see, the negative feelings for both of them is off the charts high.

DemDog

Anybody interested....

Post by DemDog »

5750464E4057101C654248444C490B464A48250 wrote: OK, I hear the argument that Clinton has experience.  But I consider that more of a negative reflection on Trump than a positive on Hillary. 

I'm looking for someone that can heal this country, deal with terrorism, lead the free world because a leader is definitely needed.  We need someone who can reign in the deficit without smashing the economy. And that's the agenda just for the first Monday. 

Honestly - I think either of these candidates will go into office with such a negative opinion that they will further divide this country.  In most places, as far as I can see, the negative feelings for both of them is off the charts high. 

I don't think there is such a person. Politics and the political attitude has changed very much in the last 60-70 years. We have become a country of special interests. From those who argue over abortion, gay rights, women's rights, foreign policy, environmental issues, entitlements, you name it. Each side, progressive and conservative have taken stands and will not budge. There is no place for compromise.

This extremist attitude I believe comes from the way news, ideas, and information are spread these days. The internet being the biggest way, followed by the tech of a cell phone. Each of them and there are other ways that I can't put my finger on this early in the morning are used to spread hate, hate of ideas that are different from ours, hate for people who are "different" from what we perceive as being good and worthy.

I use as an example something from baseball. The Cubs, yes the "hated" Cubs. Why would you or I be upset if the Cubs broke there 108 year run WS winlessness? Hey, don't their fans deserve one WS win in their lifetime? Well, most of us, me included feel the opposite, hate the Cubs root against them. Just remember, the Buccos just a few years ago broke a 20 yr streak of losing seasons.

What this country needs most is someone who will reach out to the country and the world with a hand of love, a real love such as the one that Christ suggested, Love your neighbor as yourself.
rucker59@gmail.com

Anybody interested....

75545C755E56310 wrote: OK, I hear the argument that Clinton has experience.  But I consider that more of a negative reflection on Trump than a positive on Hillary. 

I'm looking for someone that can heal this country, deal with terrorism, lead the free world because a leader is definitely needed.  We need someone who can reign in the deficit without smashing the economy. And that's the agenda just for the first Monday. 

Honestly - I think either of these candidates will go into office with such a negative opinion that they will further divide this country.  In most places, as far as I can see, the negative feelings for both of them is off the charts high. 

I don't think there is such a person.  Politics and the political attitude has changed very much in the last 60-70 years.  We have become a country of special interests.  From those who argue over abortion, gay rights, women's rights, foreign policy, environmental issues, entitlements, you name it.  Each side, progressive and conservative have taken stands and will not budge.  There is no place for compromise.

This extremist attitude I believe comes from the way news, ideas, and information are spread these days.  The internet being the biggest way, followed by the tech of a cell phone.  Each of them and there are other ways that I can't put my finger on this early in the morning are used to spread hate, hate of ideas that are different from ours, hate for people who are "different" from what we perceive as being good and worthy.

I use as an example something from baseball.  The Cubs, yes the "hated" Cubs.  Why would you or I be upset if the Cubs broke there 108 year run WS winlessness?  Hey, don't their fans deserve one WS win in their lifetime?  Well, most of us, me included feel the opposite, hate the Cubs root against them.  Just remember, the Buccos just a few years ago broke a 20 yr streak of losing seasons. 

What this country needs most is someone who will reach out to the country and the world with a hand of love, a real love such as the one that Christ suggested, Love your neighbor as yourself. 

Possum - that's really good. Really well written. And I think you're right. Someone sent me an article this morning written by Billy Graham and his point is that we are literally saturated with messages from media, most of which is simply bad stuff.

I have a brother who is a great guy on many levels, but he's retired now and he'll work around his house or sit with a beer and listen to Rush Limball (sp?; is he still on the air?) and similar shows. It's hours upon hours of hate, literally. It's turning my brother into someone that literally scares me.

And it works both ways. There is somebody out there willing to get any of us fighting mad about whatever issue that rubs us the wrong way. The rhetoric builds an rhetoric d builds. The internet creates endless news cycles.

We need someone who can challenge the country to be better then this. I thought Obama delivered a good speech to the country. Tried to exercise leadership (at the police memorial). A few days later, three more cops shot dead.

I guess that's my point - I'm concerned for us as a country, I'm concerned for the human race. We need extraordinary leadership. Someone that can bring us together, someone that points us to love rather than hate. I'm afraid that either candidate is simply going to cause the rhetoric of hate and anger to be elevated to an entirely new level.

Anyway, your post is excellent.
johnfluharty

Anybody interested....

Post by johnfluharty »

4975785072726E781D0 wrote:

Oh, he can build a wall (at great expense), but he can't build a continual 1200 mile long one.  The terrain along the border is too uneven.  So, it would wind up going wall-gap-wall-gap-wall-gap-wall.  Making the whole project silly and a waste of money.  If someone wanted to cross the border, they still could around Trump's gappy wall. 

Even if we managed to build a wall 100 foot thick and 10 stories high along the entire border, it would be mostly useless.  They would simply go UNDER it, which they already do.  There are very elaborate tunnels, complete with lighting, that run from well south of the border to well north.
Ecbucs

Anybody interested....

Post by Ecbucs »

2A2D3B333D2A6D61183F35393134763B3735580 wrote: OK, I hear the argument that Clinton has experience.  But I consider that more of a negative reflection on Trump than a positive on Hillary. 

Neal Huntington is busy with the Pirates. Maybe if they had won the world series last year he would throw his hat in the ring.