Any Penguin Fans Out There?

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

I'm a very big hockey fan. Thought I'd put this thread up to see if there are any like-minded folks at onlybucs. Sure would like to discuss some pucks this winter with anyone here who's interested.

They'll be raising the Stanley Cup Championship banner at the PPG Paints Arena in about an hour!

Go Pens!!!!!!!!!!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Me! I like hockey but not like baseball. Former Pens season tix holder that goes back before Mario and continued pretty much through Mario's career.

Got tired of going to the games as they became more successful with Mario on the ice. Fans there only because it was the "ticket to have" in the Burgh at the time. Had no idea about the rules of the game. But the cost of the tix also helped me lose some interest in the game mainly going to every game.

It was a nice win last nite. Fleury sure came up big in the SO. Looks like they can make another deep run into the playoffs if they stay healthy and some of the kids keep growing into their game.

Kinda disappointed in Maatta on the first Caps goal. He let Burakovsky come right down the slot and take the pass and whoosh its between Fleury's pipes. But like Sheary the little guy setting up Malkin.

Good game and I look forward to the Pens raising my spirits after the season I endured with my beloved Bucs this summer.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Hey Possum!

How about those Pens! Another high intensity game and another Pens win!

Just wait til Crosby gets back! I thought Fleury was outstanding again. Guess he feels he has something to prove.

Did you happen to see any of the pregame ceremonies? They had a bunch of the Pens players from 1968-1975 seasons. I was thrilled to see those guys and especially my old favorite player, Dave Burrows. Great D-Man!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Missed the pre-game in fact missed most of the 1st 2 periods. Taking the bride of nearly 45 yrs out for a nice dinner took precedence over the game.

Sure am impressed with the way all the young guys are playing and actually give forth maximum effort. Sheary is one of my faves as he just puts out like 1000 percent effort. And the other is Carl Haglen. Man is that guy fast. I would bet he could out run Billy Hamilton ;D

Nice to see how a good owner can spend money and bring in some great players and prospects. Of course the two big things that make that possible is that Ron Burkle has more money than he knows what to do with and the NHL has a salary cap. Wish the Bucs could operate with both those advantages.

Rutherford is going to have a real situation on hand come trade deadline day. With the possibility that they will have two All-Star Cup winning goalies on hand what do you do? Trade Fleury and let Murray finish out the season with Jarry as the backup? Go with both Fleury and Murray and then do something with Fleury? How nice to be able to make a deal from a position of great strength.
Quail

Post by Quail »

I understand how important it is keeping the spouse happy! After 45 years I know you're an expert! Congrats! My wife and I will be married 43 years next month but she'd rather watch hockey than eat so I almost never miss a Pens game ?.

Speaking of dining out, since we're in Pittsburgh now do you have any favorite restaurants to recommend? We both love seafood and Italian so anything you think we should not miss?

Go Pens!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Have to think a bit on the food aspect. Not great seafood lover but Italian I love. Will let you know.

Watching the 3rd period. Nice disallowed goal for Malkin. Can't believe it took the refs so long to make the right decision. Geesh, worse than MLB.

Fleury standing on his head, his hands and anywhere needed to keep the biscuit out of the basket. Nice 5 on 3 penalty kill thanks to the Flowers work.

Off to bed and to watch the rest of the game on tv in bedroom.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Unfortunately the Pens had to settle for a single point. Colorado was skating like this was their Cup final. Seems like every team will be using the Pens as a measuring stick so they probably won't have too many 'easy' games this season.

Hockey refs have to be the worst in pro sports. It was beyond obvious that Malkin had interfered with their goalie before he scored. As you said, what could have taken so long on that call.

Looking forward to attending Thursdays game with my wife. Should be a rip shorter of a rematch!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Teams will be looking to beat the Pens with that exact attitude. The games are their game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

From what I saw of the game last nite the Pens were just a bit out of sync especially with their defensemen moving the puck up the ice. Passes seemed to just miss their target or didn't take the right bounce when sent off the boards. I've seen many games like that in my life and the Pens win some and loses some. Hey, if Malkin does not hit Pickard's glove with his stick as he bulled his way through the crease his goal may have happened and been allowed. Although as it looked to me from the replays Geno sure as heck looked like he made a deliberate attempt to hit the glove. ::)

As for restaurants I am sending you a PM with some info for you.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Looks like the Pens did not show up for the game last nite. I was not able to watch but did see the score and can imagine just how charged up the Habs fans were and the Pens, well, were not the Pens we have grown accustomed to watching. Not to worry though, Murray and Sid will be back soon.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Well the Stanley Cup champs certainly showed up last night! What a gritty come from behind win!! Down 2 goals and 2 defensemen, no Sid, no Letang.

I couldn't have been prouder of that team, and my wife and I were lucky enough to have been there to see it. Simply amazing!!