Ever sell some of your memorabilia?

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

Back in the early 90's, I collected some autographs when I went to the various Piratefests. Unfortunately, I primarily got my autographs from '93 on, and I left a lot with my ex when we split up. I'm sure most aren't worth the baseball I had them sign now (Mark Smith, anyone?), but something I read today made me think of Harvey Haddix. I have his autograph on a ball, and on the card that commemorates his 12-inning perfect game.

I looked online. I saw one memorabilia seller offering the two items for about $700. I looked on Ebay, and the lowest price those items were being offered for was about $430.

Well, the game-room/multimedia room I always thought I'd have never came to be, and since becoming disabled, it never will. I have a small place, and am having trouble just storing things, much less displaying them.

I figure this is gonna be a fool's errand, but I don't wan tot just throw them out. If i try to sell on Ebay, someone could scribble Harvey's name on a ball and say I sent them a counterfeit. I'd never be able to prove otherwise. I could sell it to a memorabilia reseller at considerably less than the prices I quoted above, and I'd be less likely to run into an outright thief, just someone who will lowball me. In both cases, I will probably have to have the items appraised and verified as genuine, and I know nothing about that and how much that would cost.

Anyone here ever been down the rabbit-hole of selling their memorabilia? I love the ball and card, they are my favorite autographs and I love the story of his famous game. I remember Harvey taking time to explain who the umpire and the batter was on the card I had him sign. . .but I just don't have any room to do anything with them but jam them in a drawer, at best, and money always finds a use, especially these days.

Sorry this was so long.

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

the only real memorable memorabilia I have is my 89 Andy Van Slyke game calendar poster.  Haha, don't think I'll get much.

My dad has me beat by a little with his '60 Game 7 ticket and score card.  Something tells me it's not for sale.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I still have my 60 Pirate yearbook and a tix stub from game 2 of the WS. You know its a shame that these days in the era of digital tech that many tix are no longer printed like in the old days but are instead downloaded and then printed at home on our own printers. Season tix holders may get fancy tix stubs but for the average Joe who buys the tix online there is nothing worth saving.
TBird

Post by TBird »

I am still old school in getting the Tix I prefer a stub and save them instead of printing them.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I do too but if you buy online you can only print them or get them on the phone.

I have a lot of them still, but not as cool of ones as you all probably do.  Probably the best one is the last game at 3RS.  Of course that's if you don't include the one I have for unplayed playoff game in '13.  :
Lecom

Post by Lecom »

I have about 70 baseballs that are autographed by various players from about 2005 -to present. I take 5 or 6 with me every year since I have been going down. I get these for my grandson who loves the game. A lot of them are worthless but a few like Mazeroski , Virdon and a few other Pirates who attend spring training over the years are probably worth a few bucks