Kneeling during National Anthem

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

5D787B7B6E4578707265170 wrote: I have had more than enough family members die while serving this country. My son is currently in the Army.

However we cannot look at this as being unpatriotic

We must look at it as exercising our freedom of speech and freedom to protest which are some of the values we as a nation have fought for.

Being alive during the Civil Rights movement I truly believed that racial equality and harmony was being addressed. I was wrong.

The election of 2016, the BLM movement opened my eyes to see that our country is divided not united.

I am hopeful that real change will occur and we can hopefully become a real UNITED States. When that happens we can enjoy our sports without debating the kneeling during the anthem
What are you talking about, we elected a black president, everyone has a opportunity to proper in America, that's why millions of people want and are coming here. If you don't like it here no one is making you stay. Players are millionaires and they need to respect the country that made them rich. They had better keep their politics to themselves if they know what's good for baseball.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

6B707D7C757976180 wrote: I am a Pirate fan.   I don;t care what the other teams do.  But I will be watching very closely.  If the Pirates kneel during the anthem, then I am no longer a Pirate fan.
absolutely
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

7B4945455163404944414E49280 wrote: It wasn't that big of a deal until the people who don't like it made a big deal out of it.
Your misguided, it's a big deal, disrepectful and I could go on and on and on.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

Is there a way we could stick a "great American" thread

Put a YouTube of the national anthem, maybe even a different version sung by various stars (like Whitney Houston super bowl) and every day before a poster comes in to read or post they could stand and honor America. Then maybe post an appreciative post about why they love our country and something that we might wish to see different in our country.

It's super important to see these young men's patriotism before they begin the task of running, throwing, and catching. Why not be patriotic before we get to the critical discussion of them hitting, throwing, catching?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I agree. Politics has no place in MLB. Like getting stadiums built....like....integration back in the day.....like, President Bush using baseball to unite our country shortly after September 11, 2001.

It's only a big deal when we disagree with the subject matter and how it's displayed.

I'm a Pirates fan. Been kneeling since 1972.

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

6A5F4848437A48484344482D0 wrote: I agree.  Politics has no place in MLB.  Like getting stadiums built....like....integration back in the day.....like, President Bush using baseball to unite our country shortly after September 11, 2001.

It's only a big deal when we disagree with the subject matter and how it's displayed.

I'm a Pirates fan.  Been kneeling since 1972.

Well said GW
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

113A3B263D253C102731313D520 wrote: Is there a way we could stick a "great American" thread

Put a YouTube of the national anthem, maybe even a different version sung by various stars (like Whitney Houston super bowl) and every day before a poster comes in to read or post they could stand and honor America. Then maybe post an appreciative post about why they love our country and something that we might wish to see different in our country.

It's super important to see these young men's patriotism before they begin the task of running, throwing, and catching. Why not be patriotic before we get to the critical discussion of them hitting, throwing, catching?

How about Jimmy Hendrix at Woodstock.  Now there is a great rendition of the National Anthem!

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

55707373664D70787A6D1F0 wrote: I have had more than enough family members die while serving this country. My son is currently in the Army.

We must look at it as exercising our freedom of speech and freedom to protest which are some of the values we as a nation have fought for.

Being alive during the Civil Rights movement I truly believed that racial equality and harmony was being addressed. I was wrong.

The election of 2016, the BLM movement opened my eyes to see that our country is divided not united.

I am hopeful that real change will occur and we can hopefully become a real UNITED States. When that happens we can enjoy our sports without debating the kneeling during the anthem

Having lived during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's I agree that there is more to kneeling during the anthem. It is not a lack of patriotism as some suggest. It is a plea by those who are affected by those complaining about kneeling. Especially a guy who did not do as your son did by getting a deferment for service during that era due to bone spurs on his ankles. Of course, if you believe that guy he is the greatest thing since sliced bread happening to this country. ;D
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

It's not that complicated though. Players can decide whether to make a statement, and we can individually decide how much of the stink of politics we want to be a part of the game before we're no longer interested. For me it won't take much to turn me off of what is already a tainted season, but we'll see.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

65444C654E46210 wrote: I have had more than enough family members die while serving this country. My son is currently in the Army.

Having lived during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's I agree that there is more to kneeling during the anthem.  It is not a lack of patriotism as some suggest.  It is a plea by those who are affected by those complaining about kneeling.  Especially a guy who did not do as your son did by getting a deferment for service during that era due to bone spurs on his ankles.  Of course, if you believe that guy he is the greatest thing since sliced bread happening to this country.   ;D

Some people get it.

Some people don't.

Some people don't get what they don't get.

Some people already know what they don't have.

Some people need a lot of time to see what they have.

This world's made of all kinds, and not all of them get everything.