NFL Pro Bowl

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

NFL Pro Bowl

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't see why they play this game. Obviously, the #1 priority is to avoid injury, so the game is essentially played as "touch." I switched over to the game several times and each time I saw WRs running casually downfield, RBs stopping when a defender got close and defensive linemen making no effort to get to the QB. Once when Watt actually went after the QB and stripped him of the ball, the OT appeared taken by surprise as he was just backpedaling instead of blocking. There is probably more risk of injury during pregame stretching exercises than in the game.

I'm totally in favor of avoiding injury by playing in the Pro Bowl. But wouldn't it be better to just announce selections as an honor and not have the players go through the farce of this kind of activity on the field? Fly the players and their families to Hawaii for a banquet. I can't imagine the TV ratings are even worth it to televise the exhibition as it is now conducted.
WildwoodDave2

NFL Pro Bowl

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

557875646372652526170 wrote: I don't see why they play this game. Obviously, the #1 priority is to avoid injury, so the game is essentially played as "touch." I switched over to the game several times and each time I saw WRs running casually downfield, RBs stopping when a defender got close and defensive linemen making no effort to get to the QB. Once when Watt actually went after the QB and stripped him of the ball, the OT appeared taken by surprise as he was just backpedaling instead of blocking. There is probably more risk of injury during pregame stretching exercises than in the game.

I'm totally in favor of avoiding injury by playing in the Pro Bowl. But wouldn't it be better to just announce selections as an honor and not have the players go through the farce of this kind of activity on the field? Fly the players and their families to Hawaii for a banquet. I can't imagine the TV ratings are even worth it to televise the exhibition as it is now conducted. 
I totally agree.- I watched two minutes of it and switched to a college basketball game. Why fans would pay good money to watch flag football is beyond me. I like your idea of a banquet or some other form of recognition.
GreenWeenie

NFL Pro Bowl

Post by GreenWeenie »

So says the guy who wants to watch minor leaguers play exhibition games.  ;)

So much for certain standards.
Bobster21

NFL Pro Bowl

Post by Bobster21 »

083D2A2A21182A2A21262A4F0 wrote: So says the guy who wants to watch minor leaguers play exhibition games.  ;)

Are you comparing the minor league season to Pro-Bowlers playing touch football at half speed?
WildwoodDave2

NFL Pro Bowl

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

172235353E0735353E3935500 wrote: So says the guy who wants to watch minor leaguers play exhibition games.  ;)

At least the minor leaguers are giving it their all!
WildwoodDave2

NFL Pro Bowl

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: So says the guy who wants to watch minor leaguers play exhibition games.  ;)

Are you comparing the minor league season to Pro-Bowlers playing touch football at half speed?
I believe you had told me that you have gone to see the

Wilmington Minor League Team
GreenWeenie

NFL Pro Bowl

Post by GreenWeenie »

Yeah. So what? I'm not the one who's dissing the NFL Pro Bowl.

So, they go to Vegas for a weekend. Gives the gambling public a bunch of prop bets to throw money on. Generates a lot more money for the economy than a banquet would. Gotta keep the cash registers humming. It's the American way.

GreenWeenie

NFL Pro Bowl

Post by GreenWeenie »

446964757263743437060 wrote: So says the guy who wants to watch minor leaguers play exhibition games.  ;)

There is no comparison. Minor leaguers are minor leaguers. Most will never see the light of day in a major league uniform.

Pro Bowl NFL player are among the better players in their profession.

As for the game itself? To each his own. When it was in Honolulu, it was their fans' only opportunity to see the players. For me, I have an opportunity to easily travel to Philadelphia, New York, Ne Jersey, Baltimore, DC, and Pittsburgh if I want. Those fans can't. They have to hop a plane, change time zones, etc. I won't dismiss them a chance to see a live "game."

So, it's a weekend in Vegas this time around.

It's always our choice to tune in or not. But, I'm not going to tell them what to do. I think the powers-who-be understand all the negatives and positives.
WildwoodDave2

NFL Pro Bowl

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

596C7B7B70497B7B70777B1E0 wrote: Yeah.  So what?  I'm not the one who's dissing the NFL Pro Bowl. 

So, they go to Vegas for a weekend. Gives the gambling public a bunch of prop bets to throw money on.  Generates a lot more money for the economy than a banquet would.  Gotta keep the cash registers humming.  It's the American way.

You're probably the only one who isn't. Also I had mentioned that I would like to take a ride to Greensboro ( great city from what I have been told) and see a Grasshopper game. Maybe go to Altoona for a Curve game. These are REAL contests played by Minor Leaguers busting their asses to get to the Bigs. Since you don't have a TV. you were unable to watch the Pro Bowl and see what a farce it is. I didn't know that you were so concerned about the Vegas Economy. Believe me, they don't need anymore. I've left my share there :'(
GreenWeenie

NFL Pro Bowl

Post by GreenWeenie »

Let me know if I have this right.

Here we have high and mighty WWD, the chauffer-driven Grey Poupon eating Snob of Sports Guys, who can't lower himself to watch the NFL Pro Bowl, but he can't get enough watching the Pirates who have had fewer than a handful of winning seasons since Sid Bream rounded third.  Then, there's Pitt basketball.

I'll tell ya.  ;)))))

===========

You know I'm just bustin' yer stones.