Pitt Basketball

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Pitt Basketball

Post by DemDog »

Well, not a good start for the Panthers. Players transfer out of the program, players get hurt, players get arrested and they lose to The Citadel by 15 on their home court.

It makes me wonder if Capel is the man for the job? He has a tough job following Jamie who left the cupboard bare when he dashed off to TCU.

Having seen some of Capel's top recruits leave the program so soon after he signed them makes me wonder about his ability to teach and coach winning ways like his mentor, Coach K.

Looking at the ACC this season I would take Pitt as an under 10 wins in an over-under bet.

What says ye WWD?
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

68494168434B2C0 wrote: Well, not a good start for the Panthers.  Players transfer out of the program, players get hurt, players get arrested and they lose to The Citadel by 15 on their home court.

It makes me wonder if Capel is the man for the job?  He has a tough job following Jamie who left the cupboard bare when he dashed off to TCU. 

Having seen some of Capel's top recruits leave the program so soon after he signed them makes me wonder about his ability to teach and coach winning ways like his mentor, Coach K.

Looking at the ACC this season I would take Pitt as an under 10 wins in an over-under bet. 

What says ye  WWD?
I agree with you completely. This season will be comparable to Kevin Stallings last season at Pitt. I thought the hiring of Capel was a excellent choice at the time. Some things are out of his control but it seems his negatives outweigh the positives
DemDog

Pitt Basketball

Post by DemDog »

Paul Zeise says that Capel has not only lost in the recruiting area but he has also lost in the one thing he is known for and that is losing the ability to relate to his players. Guys are running away from him with all the transfers etc. What is up with that?
GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

1F3E361F343C5B0 wrote: Well, not a good start for the Panthers.  Players transfer out of the program, players get hurt, players get arrested and they lose to The Citadel by 15 on their home court.

It makes me wonder if Capel is the man for the job?  He has a tough job following Jamie who left the cupboard bare when he dashed off to TCU. 

What says ye  WWD?

Those are one way to look at it, sure.  I'm not as concerned about the transfers as I am of the arrests.  We're talking about....18 year olds.  I dnk if it's basketball, football, tennis, ping pong, or checkers.  18 to 21, 22 year olds?  Gotta have nerves of steel to take on the gambles with kids that age.  Heck!  Look at adult pros.....it's a crap shoot.  No coach in the world is going to come out with a perfect recruiting record.

Another way to look at it?  Let's be honest and let's be fair.  Coach didn't follow follow Jamie Dixon.  He followed Kevin Stallings.  What Capel took on makes Cherington's job look like a permanent vacation. I will give another year of a pass.

If we get rid of this Capel guy, who's the replacement?  We learned that lesson, I surely hope.  Unless you're willing to spend, you're winding up with The Derek Shelton of Basketball.

GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

0B2A220B20284F0 wrote: Paul Zeise says that Capel has not only lost in the recruiting area but he has also lost in the one thing he is known for and that is losing the ability to relate to his players.  Guys are running away from him with all the transfers etc.  What is up with that?

Whatever it is, it was up with JD and Stallings, too. By the time they made their ways through the exit, they lost their connectivity, too. Stallings never really had it here.

Could be that some kids don't know what they're in for. Are they willing to pay the price it takes to go up against the best in their class?

Capel knows that price. He's been with people who have, so I'll side with him more than with 18- and 19-year olds, at least for now.

I would think that HL has this very much on her radar, and if she thinks there's a problem with the coach's approach, I would think that she'd address it and make a change if she feels that it's warranted.

DemDog

Pitt Basketball

Post by DemDog »

Hey Weenie, you would make for a good defense attorney! What you say makes a lot of sense when it comes to how Capel has done as a coach. I guess it comes down to finding kids of not just playing ability, but also outstanding character and the will to do what it takes to become a D1 college basketball player.
GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

13323A133830570 wrote: Hey Weenie, you would make for a good defense attorney!  What you say makes a lot of sense when it comes to how Capel has done as a coach.  I guess it comes down to finding kids of not just playing ability, but also outstanding character and the will to do what it takes to become a D1 college basketball player. 

Just like I did this year with the MLB PS, I would lose every time! ;) 

In college sports, I have generally sided with the adults in the room- meaning, the more "mature" ones.  I've never been a parent, much to every kid's relief.  But, I've been around enough teenagers in my life to know how they can be.  Every kid who's out there today playing basketball- wherever they may be- thinks that theyt're the next LBJ or Elena Della Donna.

I'll give Capel this ONE- year pass, but I hold all the Options after this season.

It's similar to our Bucs to me.  I don't expect Pitt BB or FB to be a Top Five, Top Ten, or maybe even a Top 15 program, but I surely think that we're capable of putting up good fights and do as well as some similar programs.  I've never expected JD, Stallings, or Capel to have recruiting classes like the non-professional-professional schools......but, I think that we should rank among the best urban colleges in the country.

It's very difficult for schools to consistently do well when there is a major league professional team in that town, too.  That's because college coaches have egos.  They don't want to fight for attention against the Steelers coach, then the Penguins coach.  They want all of the attention on them.  Look at how USC and UCLA have fared out there in LA.  New York and Chicago, you name it.  It's tough for urban schools to get the very best coaches and recruit the very best of players.  Syracuse, Raleigh, Durham, Lansing MI, Ann Arbor.....most of those schools don't have major league professional teams to compete against for attention.  And, money.  Look at Penn State.  It's out in the middle of nowhere.  So are a lot of top collegiate programs.  Those coaches don't compete for attention or money. 

So, when a JD goes....a Stallings goes....a Capel goes.....a Wanstadt goes....a Narduzzi goes.....you have to think about who's taking their place. 

Folks from The Burgh region are blessed when it comes to the various programs, but those blessings sometimes come with a few curses, unfortunately.

On an off-tangent digression- I've been disappointed with Pitt's womens program for a long time.  I've enjoyed the womens game and would like to see that get considerably better, too.

WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0D382F2F241D2F2F24232F4A0 wrote: Hey Weenie, you would make for a good defense attorney!  What you say makes a lot of sense when it comes to how Capel has done as a coach.  I guess it comes down to finding kids of not just playing ability, but also outstanding character and the will to do what it takes to become a D1 college basketball player. 

Just like I did this year with the MLB PS, I would lose every time! ;) 

In college sports, I have generally sided with the adults in the room- meaning, the more "mature" ones.  I've never been a parent, much to every kid's relief.  But, I've been around enough teenagers in my life to know how they can be.  Every kid who's out there today playing basketball- wherever they may be- thinks that theyt're the next LBJ or Elena Della Donna.

I'll give Capel this ONE- year pass, but I hold all the Options after this season.

It's similar to our Bucs to me.  I don't expect Pitt BB or FB to be a Top Five, Top Ten, or maybe even a Top 15 program, but I surely think that we're capable of putting up good fights and do as well as some similar programs.  I've never expected JD, Stallings, or Capel to have recruiting classes like the non-professional-professional schools......but, I think that we should rank among the best urban colleges in the country.

It's very difficult for schools to consistently do well when there is a major league professional team in that town, too.  That's because college coaches have egos.  They don't want to fight for attention against the Steelers coach, then the Penguins coach.  They want all of the attention on them.  Look at how USC and UCLA have fared out there in LA.  New York and Chicago, you name it.  It's tough for urban schools to get the very best coaches and recruit the very best of players.  Syracuse, Raleigh, Durham, Lansing MI, Ann Arbor.....most of those schools don't have major league professional teams to compete against for attention.  And, money.  Look at Penn State.  It's out in the middle of nowhere.  So are a lot of top collegiate programs.  Those coaches don't compete for attention or money. 

So, when a JD goes....a Stallings goes....a Capel goes.....a Wanstadt goes....a Narduzzi goes.....you have to think about who's taking their place. 

Folks from The Burgh region are blessed when it comes to the various programs, but those blessings sometimes come with a few curses, unfortunately.

On an off-tangent digression- I've been disappointed with Pitt's womens program for a long time.  I've enjoyed the womens game and would like to see that get considerably better, too.

This new transfer portal has made it difficult for some coaches as well. For example, two very good players left last season when it became apparent the team wasn't going to make the tournament. Pitt's top recruit for 2022( ranked #68 in the country) decommitted Wed. Said he had to do what is best for him.
GreenWeenie

Pitt Basketball

Post by GreenWeenie »

So true.

As for "having to do what's best for me," Khem (second coming) Birch left Pitt to do what was best for him, too.

Grass isn't always greener.

Starting now, some of that "best" will take The NIL Factor into consideration.

Kids in The Burgh will fall somewhere after the Steelers, Pens, Pitt football, if we're lucky- a Pirates or two....so......

It will be all Capel's fault.
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Basketball

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

043126262D1426262D2A26430 wrote: So true.

As for "having to do what's best for me," Khem (second coming) Birch left Pitt to do what was best for him, too.

Grass isn't always greener.

Starting now, some of that "best" will take The NIL Factor into consideration.

Kids in The Burgh will fall somewhere after the Steelers, Pens, Pitt football, if we're lucky- a Pirates or two....so......

It will be all Capel's fault.
Pitt loses to West Virginia 74-59 which is no surprise. Gonna be a Kevin Stallings like year. Can't have a roster like they have and compete in the ACC