Is It Over?

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Is It Over?

Post by GreenWeenie »

I know that we have members from all over the US and I won't be surprised if some international, too. I seem to recall someone from somewhere post something to that effect maybe a week or so.

-----------------

Wondering if the movie "?It Ain't Over is playing in or around The Burgh and other parts where members live, and if anyone plans to see it?

I'm giving serious thought to treating myself to watch it. The nearest theater to me that's advertised it is in NJ; some 45 minutes from me.

I always agreed with Yogi's granddaughter that he was often overlooked for as his accomplishments. It might have been the result of his humorous persona and physical characteristics- as well as some of the other stars next to him. The guy had my respect, anyway.
GreenWeenie

Is It Over?

Post by GreenWeenie »

Turns out, the movie is showing in town, so I'm going to see it in a couple of hours. I hope to be able to give it two Green Weenies. Will write a review.
GreenWeenie

Is It Over?

Post by GreenWeenie »

I returned from the movie in time to catch the ending of today's Pirates game.

I absolutely give "It Ain't Over" two Green Weenies.

While much too young to have appreciated Yogi Berra while he was a player, I've always known him to be among the greatest catchers- and champions of any team sport- of all time. 

Giving away no secrets- it's all for anyone to see in the movie's trailer, the premise is that Berra is one of the most over-looked superstars in baseball; they argue because of his personna and appearance.

I hold the opinion that those two factors are certainly contributors, but it could also be that the population is such that there aren't as many people around who saw him play during his day, and that other guys from his era (Aaron, Mays, and Koufax) held more "watched" positions than catcher.  Johnny Bench is younger, and more of the population is still around to have seen him play.

That aside, the movie is factual, not overly-whitewashed, and entertaining.

On a Pirates' fan level, they, of course, have appearances of Berra's surviving family members, including his son and former Pirates, Dale.  I liked that they mentioned the difficult family period when Dale was caught up in the Pittsburgh Cocaine Trial, and that they didn't gloss over it....and, also didn't give it excessive focus. 

I would say that it's a movie that most people would enjoy regardless of whether they're a baseball fan or not.  There are parts of the movie that deal with American history that I choose not to give away. 

Yogi's granddaughter produced the documentary, and I think that she did a very fine job with it. 

A few weeks ago, I saw that the movie is unavailable online.  I don't know whether that has changed.  It was in limited release in select cities and theaters.  Weeks ago, I would have had to travel to see it.  Then, a few days ago, I saw that it was playing where I live.  So, if you have interest, keep an eye out.

It Ain't Over.  You might not be banking on the Pirates, but, rest assured- it's far from over.  The division's there for the taking.  Let's take it!