Official Game Thread - 4/25 - Bucs vs Brewers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: Official Game Thread - 4/25 - Bucs vs Brewers

Post by Surgnbuck »

Well, not sure how I feel about Chapman blowing this one. 103 about 4 inches off the plate at chin level, and it's taken deep opposite field.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Wow, Rabelo must be coaching 3B for the Brewers.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I expect a couple roster moves before this upcoming road trip. My guess is that Gonzales and Grandal will be brought up. Gonzales has been hot at Indy, so they should see if he upped his game.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Disappointing after winning the first two games of this series.
I must say that Tellez has given the bucs nothing so far, Lousy at the
plate and and his defense was somewhat responsible for losing these
last two games
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:04 pm Disappointing after winning the first two games of this series.
I must say that Tellez has given the bucs nothing so far, Lousy at the plate and and his defense was somewhat responsible for losing these last two games
Tellez is a typical Pirate offseason acquisition. A free agent not in demand by better teams. He has power if he makes good contact but he's not a good enough hitter to frequently make good contact. The only times he has put up respectable batting averages were in small sample sizes (70 ABs in 2018 and 113 ABs in 2020). In his other seasons he hit .227 in 2019, .242 in 2021, .219 in 2022 and .215 in 2023.

Believe it or not, defensive metrics show this is his best year at 1B and that's not saying much. Last year he achieved a 0 in runs saved. In every other year he was in the minus column. So what you see is what you get. He's not going to get better defensively. And while he should hit better than his current .183, he'll likely top out at about .215. But the Pirates knew what they were getting when they dove into the dumpster for him.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:24 pm
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:04 pm Disappointing after winning the first two games of this series.
I must say that Tellez has given the bucs nothing so far, Lousy at the plate and and his defense was somewhat responsible for losing these last two games
Tellez is a typical Pirate offseason acquisition. A free agent not in demand by better teams. He has power if he makes good contact but he's not a good enough hitter to frequently make good contact. The only times he has put up respectable batting averages were in small sample sizes (70 ABs in 2018 and 113 ABs in 2020). In his other seasons he hit .227 in 2019, .242 in 2021, .219 in 2022 and .215 in 2023.

Believe it or not, defensive metrics show this is his best year at 1B and that's not saying much. Last year he achieved a 0 in runs saved. In every other year he was in the minus column. So what you see is what you get. He's not going to get better defensively. And while he should hit better than his current .183, he'll likely top out at about .215. But the Pirates knew what they were getting when they dove into the dumpster for him.
I hope they don’t give him beyond the end of May to begin contributing. They can’t keep batting him in the middle of the order and watch him flounder. He’s stifling scoring opportunities. The team would be better off with Triolo playing first base and bringing Gonzales up from Indy. The home run threat would be much lower but, the way it is now, he’s not hitting balls over the fence anyway.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

I just noticed that Joey Bart is tied for the team lead in HRs.