Official Game Thread - 4/24 - Bucs vs Brewers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 4/24 - Bucs vs Brewers

Post by Doc »

McCutchen, pinch hitting for Davis, goes down on strikes. The pitching was good enough tonight, except for one miserable inning, but the offense couldn’t put anything together. Tough loss.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

I want a guy that hits 35 2b 25+ hr and under 100 k`s. I don't care what position he plays. Trade an arm or a highly touted #1 catcher. Pirates have 2 surely another team wants one!
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

What a shame to lose on a bases loaded BB and a bases loaded HBP. In the same inning! But it doesn't take much to lose when you only score 2 runs. But it wasn't all bad news. At least Cutch got a rest after all that exhausting DHing. He had started 3 games in a row, so that was 12 trips from the dugout to the plate. I don't know what that distance is but it probably gave him his optimum steps for the day. At least on Sunday he was hitless so he could go right back and sit down and watch the game some more. But on Monday and Tuesday he was a combined 5 for 8 with 2 HRs. So that was 3 times running fast, 2 jogs around the bases before sitting back down and 3 times immediately going back and sitting down. I don't think I would have the stamina to be a DH 3 games in a row. No wonder Shelton felt Cutch needed a rest before playing an afternoon game. If they only rated managers on the 'rest' factor, Shelton would win manager of the year every year. He knows his offense is good enough to take out a hot bat after 3 straight days of playing half a game as a DH.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

PooperScooper ! wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:12 am I want a guy that hits 35 2b 25+ hr and under 100 k`s. I don't care what position he plays. Trade an arm or a highly touted #1 catcher. Pirates have 2 surely another team wants one!
Other than the disastrous Archer trade when they traded for a declining pitcher with a team friendly contract, the Pirates usually trade for prospects. But teams don't give up their top prospects. So they trade for 2nd tier prospects or very young ones in rookie or A-ball leagues. A guy that hits 35 2b and 25+ HRs comes with a big contract that the Pirates won't pay. Makes me wonder how often they are offered better players in a trade than they are willing to accept because of the money factor.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Bobster wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:23 pm What a shame to lose on a bases loaded BB and a bases loaded HBP. In the same inning! But it doesn't take much to lose when you only score 2 runs. But it wasn't all bad news. At least Cutch got a rest after all that exhausting DHing. He had started 3 games in a row, so that was 12 trips from the dugout to the plate. I don't know what that distance is but it probably gave him his optimum steps for the day. At least on Sunday he was hitless so he could go right back and sit down and watch the game some more. But on Monday and Tuesday he was a combined 5 for 8 with 2 HRs. So that was 3 times running fast, 2 jogs around the bases before sitting back down and 3 times immediately going back and sitting down. I don't think I would have the stamina to be a DH 3 games in a row. No wonder Shelton felt Cutch needed a rest before playing an afternoon game. If they only rated managers on the 'rest' factor, Shelton would win manager of the year every year. He knows his offense is good enough to take out a hot bat after 3 straight days of playing half a game as a DH.
Your bitterness gave me a good laugh. I agree with you 100%.