SKENES

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Carolina Bucco

Re: SKENES

Post by Carolina Bucco »

I realize I'm beating a dead horse and the Pirates are not going to do it, but IMO it's inexcusable not to call up Skenes to start on Wednesday night vs. the Brewers.

We currently have a rotation of 4 starting pitchers.

We have an MLB-ready and No. 1 prospect who is NOT being challenged at AAA but it down there "checking boxes" for some reason.

Starting Skenes tonight and letting him go 5 innings would give the Pirates a much better chance of actually WINNING THE GAME ... which I realize is not a priority for this franchise.

Also, we all know Skenes is probably on a very low total pitch count for the season. So why not let him get those pitches in Pittsburgh rather than Indy. Every meaningless pitch he throws in Indy is one less meaningful he can throw for the Pirates.
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

UtahPirate2

Post by UtahPirate2 »

Bucs have a potential 40-man issue facing them if they call up Skenes. They seem to like Ryder Ryan and he is most likely the next option off the 40-man, or Hunter Stratton. Wouldn't think either one would clear waivers. Perhaps it is time for a mysterious pitching injury. But you have to wonder if that is causing some hesitancy as our 40-man isn't as full of fluff as it used to be.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

UtahPirate2 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:53 pm Bucs have a potential 40-man issue facing them if they call up Skenes. They seem to like Ryder Ryan and he is most likely the next option off the 40-man, or Hunter Stratton. Wouldn't think either one would clear waivers. Perhaps it is time for a mysterious pitching injury. But you have to wonder if that is causing some hesitancy as our 40-man isn't as full of fluff as it used to be.
Jason Delay could be moved to the 60-day IL.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Bobster wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:01 pm
UtahPirate2 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:53 pm Bucs have a potential 40-man issue facing them if they call up Skenes. They seem to like Ryder Ryan and he is most likely the next option off the 40-man, or Hunter Stratton. Wouldn't think either one would clear waivers. Perhaps it is time for a mysterious pitching injury. But you have to wonder if that is causing some hesitancy as our 40-man isn't as full of fluff as it used to be.
Jason Delay could be moved to the 60-day IL.
Same with Marco Gonzales.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I will be very surprised if Skenes does not join the Pirates during the homestand after this 6 game California road trip. His next start for Indy should be Tuesday, so possibly he may start in Pittsburgh on Monday May 6th vs the Angels.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Skenes pitching line tonight. 6 innings,4 hits, 0 runs, 7ks and 1 walk. He threw 75 pitches. I am still expecting his next start in Pittsburgh.
JollyRoger8

Post by JollyRoger8 »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:39 pm Skenes pitching line tonight. 6 innings,4 hits, 0 runs, 7ks and 1 walk. He threw 75 pitches. I am still expecting his next start in Pittsburgh.
I hope you are right.
The Bucs need a jump start and Skenes is just the guy to provide that. If he does make his debut it would be on Sunday against the Rockies. Perfect time to call him up. Weekend should be a sellout and pitching against a weak Colorado team
3pirates3

Post by 3pirates3 »

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

They mentioned on The Fan this morning that the Pirates still are stretching out Skenes.

Their biggest woes are offensively. The success of the pitching staff has bought them more time to drag their feet. He could come up and be the next guy losing games 2-1.

Also, they could finish stretching him out in the majors. There is nothing to prove at AAA. And the team he's scheduled to face Sunday is the one he just handed their ass to. So what's the point of pitching against them?

Is it a fear that now that the Pirates have floundered after the fast start, that he could possibly bomb out, like he did in his Altoona start last year?

Skenes isn't the answer. However, he IS clearly one of the best 26 in the organization. He should be on the team, either dominating, getting pounded, or somewhere in between.