Official Game Thread - 3/28 - Bucs & Marlins

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: Official Game Thread - 3/28 - Bucs & Marlins

Post by Surgnbuck »

OH, and how could I forget the bullpen today? 6.1 IP, 0 runs, 1 hit, 2 BB, 1 HBP
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

And no Bednar-
I know it was only one game but did you notice there wasn't the
usual fooling around with Brownie and Capp. Wonder if ownership
gave these guys a message
Carolina Bucco

Post by Carolina Bucco »

Is anyone else extremely concerned about the Bednar situation?

I hope this isn't a lot more serious ... and the Pirates just aren't announcing it.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am And no Bednar-
What I noticed is that the Pirates, and it appears baseball wide at least for one day, have shelved those goofy prop HR celebrations. Did I miss a rule change on it?
Doc

Post by Doc »

We had an Internet issue yesterday so, like Bednar, I was unavailable. Yesterday's game might be a microcosm of what so many have projected for the season: shaky starting pitching, a terrific job by the bullpen, and a more productive offense with more home run potential than a year ago. We just might have some fun around here.
Possum

Post by Possum »

For all the times I have dumped on Shelton when it comes to his lineup choices, I have to say his in-game strategy last night made the difference in the win.
His decision to intentionally walk the lead-off hitter and then Ortiz induces a DP grounder. Maybe he has finally come to his senses as a manager.
Let's Go Bucs
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Surgnbuck wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 am
Wildwoodcoach wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am And no Bednar-
What I noticed is that the Pirates, and it appears baseball wide at least for one day, have shelved those goofy prop HR celebrations. Did I miss a rule change on it?
I heard an announcer mention something about that but did not hear a reason.

I'll tell you this, the NFL should pay attention.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Regardless how your team finishes it's always a good feeling winning the opener.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Possum wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:52 am For all the times I have dumped on Shelton when it comes to his lineup choices, I have to say his in-game strategy last night made the difference in the win.
His decision to intentionally walk the lead-off hitter and then Ortiz induces a DP grounder. Maybe he has finally come to his senses as a manager.
No :lol: w Possum, lets not go overboard
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Nice win! I only saw the first 7 innings but tried to catch up on the taped replay to some extent. What a play at 1B by Joe to save the game. Didn't take long for Rabelo to get someone thrown out by 20 feet at home. Why that guy is back for another season is beyond me. Good judgment is not his thing.

I was curious how the broadcast would go since it's no longer AT&T Sportsnet. I was very pleased. I hope it wasn't just because it was opening day, but Brown took it seriously. No clowning around. Of course, it helped that his comedy foil, Bob Walk, wasn't there. I think Walk is only doing home games this year. And Wehner never goes in for all that silliness anyway. I hope that style continues. When Brown sticks to the game commentary and stops trying to be the comedy entertainment, he's as good as anyone. And he did a fine job yesterday. And although I didn't see the entire game, I did not see any camera shots of Brown and Wehner talking to one another in the booth. In previous years, we saw that every inning. Does the new production company understand that the entertainment is on the field and not in the booth? Perhaps! I hope so.

I saw Hannah's post game interview with Triolo. She asked him about first game jitters, the bullpen and specifically Jose Hernandez. She did not ask him "what led to" his game winning hit. I got the impression that she understands the game and can ask relevant questions. Robbie did not appear to understand baseball well enough to know what to ask. Hence, his standard, "what led to" question as if there was a magic formula about to be revealed. All in all, I thought it was a first-rate broadcast.
There's no basement in the Alamo.