2016 trade deadline

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

2016 trade deadline

Post by DemDog »

4E495F57594E09057C5B515D5550125F53513C0 wrote: ........

If we ever want to get something for Melancon, this is the time. But this bullpen has been so iffy, can we get something to solidify it, slide Watson into the closer slot get something valuable for the longer term for Melancon?

If we bring Bell up then either Freese or Jaso is expendable. Do we move one of those two for a bullpen arm and bring Bell up for the rest of the year? Jaso seems to be struggling at the plate, but Freese might have some decent value to the right team. He's been steady and can play a couple of positions.

I'd like to see us go through some of the growing pains we surely face with call-ups -- Bell and Glasnow -- this season and maybe get something interesting at the deadline that solidifies us for next year.

It looks to be a sellers year with so many possible wildcard teams still in contention in the AL. Who knows what we might get. Melancon is a really decent chip...

Gunner, thanks! First post on the new board. Glad to be back!

A couple of interesting comments to follow up on:

I had not thought of this, but I agree about Bell - he probably needs some meaningful bats this summer to prepare for NEXT year.  So somebody has to go. My guess is Freese.  Too bad, he's done a nice job.

I had not considered the idea that this could be a sellers market.  That would certainly increase the value of Melancon.  But if the Pirates are in the playoff hunt, can they possibly justify a trade?  They may have to face Mark in a playoff situation....

If it were me I would get rid of Jaso. Yes, he is a great story with his almost seamless move from C-DH to 1B, he finds ways to get on base, even hits a long ball once in awhile, finally has great hair.

I keep Freese around because he offers decent ability to get on base, hits for more power than Jaso and can play several places on defense.

But I guess we just wait and see what the market for each is. If Freese brings some long term help in the BP then maybe his is the one to go. Don't see Jaso bringing much in return though.
ArnoldRothstein

2016 trade deadline

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I think most of the additions will be the ones we're seeing from inside the organization. Maybe shore up the bullpen a little, and deal a redundant bench piece or underperforming pitcher.
dmetz

2016 trade deadline

Post by dmetz »

416A6B766D756C407761616D020 wrote: I just don't see a buyer for Jaso

He is over exposed with this many AB's and has extreme platoon splits with almost zero power. He is not an upgrade for any team and not worth more than an A ball player for a team that may need some bench help. But even as a bench player he doesn't offer versatility. Joyce might have some value to team that may have some OF injuries in july

Pirates only 4 games out of wild card and they've actually made some of the biggest acquisitions in a few trade deadlines in the last few years as far as taking on the most $. So. Don't think we can just say it's not the pirate way to try to make something happen at the deadline anymore.

exactly. theres no market for Jaso as a 1bman. at 4 mil per, just hold him as a good bench bat.
sdimmick3

2016 trade deadline

Post by sdimmick3 »

I read somewhere that Searage stomped out of a bullpen with Liriano because he simply will not listen....could there be someone to buy low here? Do we sell low at this point? He only has next year left on the 3-year deal. Im not saying trade him, but his negative turnaround is interesting to watch.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2016 trade deadline

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I expect a starter and a bullpen arm.

My prediction all season was for them to be in the hunt, bring up Taillon, and then trade for a starter. Two out of three so far.

They could use another bullpen arm too. Maybe a catcher? I voted small pieces.
NCBuccofan

2016 trade deadline

Post by NCBuccofan »

5D5F454355300 wrote: I'm expecting them to be in the wildcard hunt but the end of July and to add maybe a relief pitcher (I assume this relates to trades with other teams). Most of what they need is available internally. The issue is experience in a pennant race. Sometimes teams prefer the veteran to the untested rookie in that situation.

Well they need starting pitching and do not really have starting pitching.  Offensively they do not need anything other than McCutchen to get healthy.

If they can replace Hughes in the pen, they might be ok there going forward. 

Interesting that some are saying they predict small pieces, but then say they need to add to the bullpen, a catcher and starting pitching. That is not small.
NCBuccofan

2016 trade deadline

Post by NCBuccofan »

08292108232B4C0 wrote: ........

If we ever want to get something for Melancon, this is the time. But this bullpen has been so iffy, can we get something to solidify it, slide Watson into the closer slot get something valuable for the longer term for Melancon?

If we bring Bell up then either Freese or Jaso is expendable. Do we move one of those two for a bullpen arm and bring Bell up for the rest of the year? Jaso seems to be struggling at the plate, but Freese might have some decent value to the right team. He's been steady and can play a couple of positions.

I'd like to see us go through some of the growing pains we surely face with call-ups -- Bell and Glasnow -- this season and maybe get something interesting at the deadline that solidifies us for next year.

It looks to be a sellers year with so many possible wildcard teams still in contention in the AL. Who knows what we might get. Melancon is a really decent chip...

Gunner, thanks! First post on the new board. Glad to be back!

A couple of interesting comments to follow up on:

I had not thought of this, but I agree about Bell - he probably needs some meaningful bats this summer to prepare for NEXT year.  So somebody has to go. My guess is Freese.  Too bad, he's done a nice job.

I had not considered the idea that this could be a sellers market.  That would certainly increase the value of Melancon.  But if the Pirates are in the playoff hunt, can they possibly justify a trade?  They may have to face Mark in a playoff situation....

If it were me I would get rid of Jaso.  Yes, he is a great story with his almost seamless move from C-DH to 1B, he finds ways to get on base, even hits a long ball once in awhile, finally has great hair. 

I keep Freese around because he offers decent ability to get on base, hits for more power than Jaso and can play several places on defense. 

But I guess we just wait and see what the market for each is.  If Freese brings some long term help in the BP then maybe his is the one to go.  Don't see Jaso bringing much in return though.

Jaso has another year on his contract, so that would probably make teams go in a different direction.

The Pirates are not going to add much this year, NH has basically said as much already.
OrlandoMerced

2016 trade deadline

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I think this is a deadline where NH has to be open to anything. I'm not sure what's going to be available that would entice NH to deal from his prospect stock, but that would be an option with the system depth that they have. They have until the deadline to decide what to do with Melancon and Freese, can't move those guys now. If Cleveland decides to make a move for McCutchen and puts an offer to NH that he can't turn down, then I think that move has to be in play.