Bae recalled.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Bae recalled.

Post by Bobster »

The PG is reporting that Bae has been recalled. No word on who is exiting.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
3pirates3

Re: Bae recalled.

Post by 3pirates3 »

Looks like Tellez is still around.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:11 pm The PG is reporting that Bae has been recalled. No word on who is exiting.
Sadly, it could be one of any four guys and the team would be better for it.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:31 pm
Bobster wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:11 pm The PG is reporting that Bae has been recalled. No word on who is exiting.
I'm guessing Tellez. The delay in announcing the move could mean they are trying to see if anyone is interested in trading a stale bag of peanuts for him before going ahead with a DFA. Otherwise they could just announce who is being optioned or DFA'd. But if it's Tellez and the announcement would depend on whether he was traded or DFA'd, they would be waiting to make the announcement until they knew which it was. I can't imagine anyone trading for him. But I can imagine Cherington desperately hoping someone will before releasing the guy he spent 3.2 million on.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:45 pm
Doc wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:31 pm
I'm guessing Tellez. The delay in announcing the move could mean they are trying to see if anyone is interested in trading a stale bag of peanuts for him before going ahead with a DFA. Otherwise they could just announce who is being optioned or DFA'd. But if it's Tellez and the announcement would depend on whether he was traded or DFA'd, they would be waiting to make the announcement until they knew which it was. I can't imagine anyone trading for him. But I can imagine Cherington desperately hoping someone will before releasing the guy he spent 3.2 million on.
A stale bag of peanuts? Sheeesh, Bobster, you can't expect another GM to overpay like that.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

We're still stuck with Tellez. Ryder Ryan was optioned.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

the MLB Trade Rumors article contained this info to: Currently, Pittsburgh is tied with Oakland for the third-fewest runs in the majors (180). Pirates hitters collectively rank 27th in batting average (.226), 26th in on-base percentage (.301) and 28th in slugging percentage (.353). At 24.7%, they have the game’s sixth-highest strikeout rate, although to their credit, the 9.4% team walk rate is also tied for fifth-highest in MLB
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Ecbucs wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:52 pm the MLB Trade Rumors article contained this info to: Currently, Pittsburgh is tied with Oakland for the third-fewest runs in the majors (180). Pirates hitters collectively rank 27th in batting average (.226), 26th in on-base percentage (.301) and 28th in slugging percentage (.353). At 24.7%, they have the game’s sixth-highest strikeout rate, although to their credit, the 9.4% team walk rate is also tied for fifth-highest in MLB
The walks don't help them because they don't get hits to drive in the runs. They are 2nd in MLB in runners left on base. Their philosophy of taking pitches to driving up the pitch count results in walks and nothing else. Those walks are often the result of letting good pitches go by early in the count. But the walk only leaves it up to the next guy to get a hit. And since that rarely happens, they just strand the runners who walked.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Good move on the recall, not good on the demotion. Only 7 relief pitchers now. I knew the moment I saw Bae recalled that Tellez wasn't dumped, I thought for sure it meant that Suwinski or Williams was sent back down.

It's funny looking at the MLB site preview for the game. The Pirates are listed as having 2 catchers, 1 first baseman, 4 second baseman, 1 shortstop, no third baseman, 2 left fielders, 1 centerfielder, and 3 right fielders.