Official Game Thread - 5/4 - Bucs vs Rockies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Official Game Thread - 5/4 - Bucs vs Rockies

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:30 am
Surgnbuck wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:58 pm The Poncho Patrol was out in force this afternoon. I go to 3-4, Mister Man goes to 3-3, my nephew and his fiance finally see the Bucs win, and are 1-5 (though one game was in San Fran and another in Oakland).

Someone please talk me down off the ledge. Why does Shelton, or any manager for that matter, send a guy up to bunt who probably hasn't bunted since little league? I know one run wins it. I know moving a guy to second removes the double play, and gives you two shots to drive him in.

I also know that when a guy can't bunt, if the ball gets over the plate, it's usually not a productive out that ends up being made. That being said.....

If you are trying to bunt the guy over, stay committed, and let them bunt with two strikes. I wonder if there is a statistic showing the success of bunting with two strikes, versus tryin to bunt and getting two strikes against you, then swinging away.

Either bunt with two strikes, or don't bunt at all.
I think a lot of managers (and certainly Shelton) want to put the onus on the players rather than themselves. If Olivares doesn't bunt and hits into a DP, Shelton gets criticized for not bunting. Shelton can say that a bunt in that situation was the right call and blame the player if he can't bunt (even when Shelton knows he can't bunt). Managers these days don't like to think too much and expose themselves to criticism. It's easier to stick to a formula and let the fans and media blame the players when the formula doesn't work.
And with the DH eliminating pinch hitting decisions and double switch situations, along with computer nerds determining the line-up construction, managers barely have to show up much less do any thinking.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Doc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:23 pm Bucs win in perhaps the only way they can these days, with a single run. Suwinski pinch hits and singles home Joe with two outs in the 9th. Jared Jones is other-worldly. Seven innings, one hit, 10 strikeouts. What lies in the future for this guy: a no hitter, All Star Games, Rookie-of-the-Year, Cy Young Award?
I wonder what team he will be on when he wins some of those awards? ;)
Doc

Post by Doc »

bucs607179 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:22 pm
Doc wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:23 pm Bucs win in perhaps the only way they can these days, with a single run. Suwinski pinch hits and singles home Joe with two outs in the 9th. Jared Jones is other-worldly. Seven innings, one hit, 10 strikeouts. What lies in the future for this guy: a no hitter, All Star Games, Rookie-of-the-Year, Cy Young Award?
I wonder what team he will be on when he wins some of those awards? ;)
I think we know which teams have the best chance: Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, Braves, Jays, Astros, Cubs, Phillies, Red Sox, Giants, Padres, Rangers, and Cardinals. It’s mostly always this way.