Official Game Thread - 5/4 - Bucs vs Rockies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Re: Official Game Thread - 5/4 - Bucs vs Rockies

Post by Possum »

Holy shit, Suwinski gets a bases-loaded single in the bottom of the 9th.
Let's Go Bucs
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Jones trade could haul in a real freakin bat !
Carolina Bucco

Post by Carolina Bucco »

This is why Skenes needs to come up ASAP.

Because our ONLY chance to win is a shutout + 1 random fluky run somewhere along the way from the worst offense possibly in the history of baseball.

That's the Pirate formula.
Doc

Post by Doc »

There’s much to be impressed by with Jones but I keep coming back to his ability to throw strike after strike and putting hitters in a hole right away. There’s a lesson there if the other pitchers are paying attention.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Had Pirates -1.5 so it reall sucks..3 baseball bets this season, 0-3.Im like the Pirates :lol: Done with it. Take Pacers +6 on monday !
Doc

Post by Doc »

One more thing regarding Jones: the Pirates are going to have to replace some of the sod on the first base side of the mound soon. After each strikeout, Jones stalks into the grass in a circular fashion and will soon wear a pathway. Nutting won’t be pleased.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The Poncho Patrol was out in force this afternoon. I go to 3-4, Mister Man goes to 3-3, my nephew and his fiance finally see the Bucs win, and are 1-5 (though one game was in San Fran and another in Oakland).

Someone please talk me down off the ledge. Why does Shelton, or any manager for that matter, send a guy up to bunt who probably hasn't bunted since little league? I know one run wins it. I know moving a guy to second removes the double play, and gives you two shots to drive him in.

I also know that when a guy can't bunt, if the ball gets over the plate, it's usually not a productive out that ends up being made. That being said.....

If you are trying to bunt the guy over, stay committed, and let them bunt with two strikes. I wonder if there is a statistic showing the success of bunting with two strikes, versus tryin to bunt and getting two strikes against you, then swinging away.

Either bunt with two strikes, or don't bunt at all.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:58 pm The Poncho Patrol was out in force this afternoon. I go to 3-4, Mister Man goes to 3-3, my nephew and his fiance finally see the Bucs win, and are 1-5 (though one game was in San Fran and another in Oakland).

Someone please talk me down off the ledge. Why does Shelton, or any manager for that matter, send a guy up to bunt who probably hasn't bunted since little league? I know one run wins it. I know moving a guy to second removes the double play, and gives you two shots to drive him in.

I also know that when a guy can't bunt, if the ball gets over the plate, it's usually not a productive out that ends up being made. That being said.....

If you are trying to bunt the guy over, stay committed, and let them bunt with two strikes. I wonder if there is a statistic showing the success of bunting with two strikes, versus tryin to bunt and getting two strikes against you, then swinging away.

I agree Surg- same reason why Tellez will be in the lineup tomorrow if a right hander is going for Colorado. Connor Joe will probably
be on the bench. To hell with Shelton and his analytics. Hasn't worked since he has been the manager
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:58 pm The Poncho Patrol was out in force this afternoon. I go to 3-4, Mister Man goes to 3-3, my nephew and his fiance finally see the Bucs win, and are 1-5 (though one game was in San Fran and another in Oakland).

I think a lot of managers (and certainly Shelton) want to put the onus on the players rather than themselves. If Olivares doesn't bunt and hits into a DP, Shelton gets criticized for not bunting. Shelton can say that a bunt in that situation was the right call and blame the player if he can't bunt (even when Shelton knows he can't bunt). Managers these days don't like to think too much and expose themselves to criticism. It's easier to stick to a formula and let the fans and media blame the players when the formula doesn't work.
There's no basement in the Alamo.