Onlybucs Fan Forums
October 30, 2014, 01:10:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirates release a bunch of guys  (Read 5165 times)
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2009, 01:11:08 PM »

From BA:

Pittsburgh Pirates
Released: RHP Yoslan Herrera, RHP Tyler Herron, 1B Kent Sakamoto, 3B Eddie Prasch, 3B Bobby Spain, 3B Brett Willemburg, OF Butch Biela, OF Justin Byler, OF Jason Delaney, OF Jared Keel
Granted free agency: RHP Denny Bautista

Some surprising, some not.  Several guys that some of us had some hopes for at one point or another.

Relieved to see Bautista not re-signed, at least not yet.
markson33
Pirate Fan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:19:42 PM »

NOT BOBBY SPAIN!!!  Cry
Woobie
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »

But Yoslon is ore futur ace. [/PBC blog]

Kind of surprised the Pirates dumped Keel. Thought some promise, albeit fading, was still there.

znc1
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:55:29 PM »

I liked Delaney, but he's probably a better fit for the front office than on the playing field.

The only guy I'm dissatisfied with is the release of Tyler Herron. Unless he's injured and has a very very slight shot of being healthy and effective with potential again.
dave3BA
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:12:26 PM »

I saw Herron pitch for Altoona a couple times last year.  He looked nothing like the guy I thought the Cardinals had drafted.  He was at 86-88mph with a 67mph curveball that wasn't fooling anyone.  No big loss.  He looks to be about done with pro baseball.
Bloop and a Blast
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »

Coming out of HS, I thought Herron was going to be very good. He had electric stuff for a 17 yr. old.  There's got to be something physical going on with him, because he's a mere shell of his former self. I can see where command can be a mental thing, but his velocity drop seems to go far beyond mental or mechanical problems.

But as for being a safe pick, I don't think there is such a thing. When someone gets to the big leagues and performs, then I'll say he's a safe pick. Until that happens, there's no such thing. -Bruce Seid- Brewers Director of Scouting
gamecckfn
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »

WTM, who were the surprises in your mind?  Not really much in the way of prospects, although I am surprised Delaney was cut loose.  Alot of position players too, something we are not exactly stacked with.
znc1
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:17:09 PM »

What a mighty disappointment/downright horrible selection Eddie Prasch was.
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 04:21:08 PM »

WTM, who were the surprises in your mind?  Not really much in the way of prospects, although I am surprised Delaney was cut loose.  Alot of position players too, something we are not exactly stacked with.

I was a little surprised about Delaney and Keel.  They're going to have to sign a bunch of FA outfielders to fill out the rosters in AAA and AA, although they may have felt Keel couldn't handle AA.  Surprised about Herrera, too, because he made some progress this year, although at his age there's no way he's going to be a major league pitcher.  There might have been more going on with him.  I was at a DH in Bowie this year and Herrera was up in the stands in the second game after pitching in the first game.  He was rooting loudly for Bowie, so I wondered what was going on.

Justin Byler really lost his shot when he missed all of last year with a broken arm.
Will
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »

Surprised about Herrera, too, because he made some progress this year, although at his age there's no way he's going to be a major league pitcher.  There might have been more going on with him.  I was at a DH in Bowie this year and Herrera was up in the stands in the second game after pitching in the first game.  He was rooting loudly for Bowie, so I wondered what was going on.

What a bizarre anecdote.

To be honest, as has been outlined in other threads, we can probably fill every rotation from here to the GCL with actual prospects, so I really don't think there would have been room for Herrera unless they moved him to the pen full time. It's this kind of house-cleaning that really shows how far the system has come under NH & co.
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 04:40:51 PM »

What a bizarre anecdote.

Trust me, it was more bizarre to watch than type.
aso513
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 05:18:13 PM »

Whoa, you have got to be kidding me. That may be the greatest story of all time, can you really blame the guy thou? I mean he should have been in AAA, actually when he made it to the big leagues two years ago, he was pitching quite well in AAA. They really stuck it to the guy by leaving him in AA for far too long. Good for him honestly.
DocJon49
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »

I was at a DH in Bowie this year and Herrera was up in the stands in the second game after pitching in the first game.  He was rooting loudly for Bowie, so I wondered what was going on.

I think we can see why he was released.  Kinda surprised he lasted until the end of the season.
CentralCABucsFan
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 06:53:26 PM »

What a mighty disappointment/downright horrible selection Eddie Prasch was.

Funny thing about Eddie Prasch.  I was following the draft with my Baseball America draft rankings that year.  After The first 10 picks, I remember looking at the rankings and saying that Prasch was the only pick they made that was on par with the Baseball America rankings. 
grm619
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 07:01:18 PM »

wasnt herrera on our 40 man??

if he was this is great for us since wed now have more room to spare Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: