Onlybucs Fan Forums
October 23, 2014, 04:20:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minor league transactions  (Read 1590 times)
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:45:14 PM »

Lots of minor league moves listed at BA today.  Most are technical moves, like recalling guys on the 40-man roster and re-instating guys on the inactive list.  Some guys become FAs now (depends on the type of contract), although most don't become FAs until after WS.  Among the new FAs are Kris Benson, Chris Duffy, Craig Stansberry, Bryan Bullington, Chris Shelton and Jeff Salazar.

Some guys the Pirates might want to consider offering minor league contracts:  LHP Travis Blackley, IF Wilson Betemit, OF Mitch Jones, LHP Royce Ring, RHP Joe Nelson, and LHP Brian Burres.  Nothing great in there, just guys who might provide AAA depth, although Betemit could be an upgrade in the majors as a UT IF who actually can hit just a bit.
81omar
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »

I was looking at these when you posted,I think Blackley would be a good sign,he had a good K rate this year at AAA and showed good control plus hes a lefty and he tried relief work for the first time and he has some major league experience which is always a plus. Mitch Jones could be next years GI Jones,he had 35 homers and hes shown legit power in the past,hitting a career high 39 a few years back in Trenton which isnt the easiest HR park. Royce Ring would be another cheap lefty option,hes even had some major league success right before the Mets traded him away,he looks good at times and his minor league numbers are impressive. Maybe Kerwin can turn him from a AAAA guy to a legit major leaguer. If I was the Bucs I'd be on the phone with Ring's(I was gonna say give Ring a ring but I passed) and Blackley's agents right away just to have as many cheap lefties as I could get and hope one works out
UtahPirate
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:47:02 PM »

Mitch Jones is from Utah and established quite a reputation for power both at Utah Valley State College and then at Arizona State quite a few years ago. He put up some really decent power numbers while in the Yankee organization--but they really aren't developing many players, just looking for the next big FA, so he was really wasting his time.

I saw that the Dodgers called him up this year for a week, so after 10 years in the minors with a stint in Japan thrown in, he got is cup of coffee.

He has gotten pretty old and turns 32 in a couple of days. Not sure he is the next Garrett Jones but who knows, he hits the ball hard......

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."  J.R.R. Tolkien
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:58:17 PM »

Another one I meant to include but forgot:  RHP Phil Humber.  He hasn't done much since he reached AAA, but who knows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: