Onlybucs Fan Forums
November 27, 2014, 05:15:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 69 games left after today...  (Read 626 times)
SteadyFreddy_12
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:14:06 AM »

That is how many games will remain after the Pirates play the Mets today and start the 2nd half of the season next Friday night in Cincy. The Pirates still will play 36 of their remaining 69 games left against teams with losing records and they will play 17 of those 36 games at PNC Park. They still have 6 games left with Miami,6 with Colorado,7 with San Diego,6 with Milwaukee,7 with the Cubs,and 4 with the Giants. The other 33 remaining arent very easy. They of course have 14 games remaining with the Cardinals 8 home 6 away,9 left with the Reds 3 home 6 away, 4 with the Nats on the road who have a losing record now but I am going to put them in the winning record category for now,3 at Texas,and 3 at home against the D Backs. Let's assume the Pirates beat the Mets today and worse case scenario go 20-16 in that 36 games they have left with losing teams, they would still only need to go 13-20 in the stretch they have against the winning teams to win 90 games and most likely qualify for the playoffs. Now I know you cant automatically just look at series against bad teams and pencil in wins, but still I believe the Pirates are going to do much better then 20-16 in that 36 game stretch against teams with losing records. A lot of those games are at home where the Pirates have played very well also.

Of course the 14 games left with the Cards and 9 left with the Reds are 23 of the remaining 33 games left the Pirates have against teams with winning records. And of course we all know those games will go a long long way to determining who wins the division and who is the top wildcard team and gets to host that 1 game playoff in their home ballpark. The bottom line is the Pirates still dont have a very tough schedule remaining and they MUST take advantage of still having to play teams like the Marlins,Rockies,Padres,and even the Cubs and Brewers numerous times before the season is over. The division title and their playoff positioning could and probably will depend on it so you absolutely MUST take advantage...
ChiTownBucco
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 10:21:23 AM »

nice break down, thanks for taking the time to do that 2nd half schedule breakdown.

I think I saw something yesterday, that the 56 first half pirate wins are 2nd all time. I think 1971 was the most... so in my lifetime this is literally the best first half of Pirate baseball I've ever witnessed. even better than the early 90's

i'm thankful for that.

I'm in Pa visiting family, so its nice that I can watch Root sports and stuff while I'm here. So just being back since yesterday morn in the airport, driving and listening to sports radio, and watching local tv I get a good buzz vibe that I never got from 1993-2004 before I moved out of western pa. Unfortunately i'm here during the all-star break mostly and won't see many more games after todays and won't be able to go to PNC as I have a very sick father i'm helping take care of. 

I guess it all just struck me that, no matter what. This Pirates first half was special. and you can't take that away. Even if they don't make the moves/trades we want to make, or they do make the moves/trades we DON'T want them to make, and even if they do suffer a 2nd ( I don't count 2011) straight 2nd half collapse.

I feel like I got my money's worth already.

Go Bucs!!!
duker
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:37:05 AM »

"I think I saw something yesterday, that the 56 first half pirate wins are 2nd all time. I think 1971 was the most... so in my lifetime this is literally the best first half of Pirate baseball I've ever witnessed. even better than the early 90's"

It seems like the All Star game is bit later this year than normal...I am guessing that contributes to the above "statistic"  Probably should look at same number of games rather than some what arbitrary AS game date.
Pirates2014Champ
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »

Every single remaining game is gonna tough.

Miami has been very competitive the past month with the return of Stanton and the emergenge of Fernandez, Turner and Eovaldi.

In addition they have some very tough road trips coming up (10 to start the 2nd half, a WC trip to SF and SD, and 9 gamer in Sept featuring Cards and Rangers)

I'd say the first 15 games of the 2nd half will determine the fate.  They cannot stumble out of the gate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: