Onlybucs Fan Forums
September 30, 2014, 06:54:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel Jones will be traded this week  (Read 1614 times)
fjk090852-2
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »

There has been a lot of talk about Hanrahan being traded at the upcoming Winter Meetings, but I also think Garrett Jones will be traded as well. Jones would make a solid DH in the American League, and I think if the right offer is made to Neal & Co. Jones will be traded. If I had a guess, I think he will be traded to the Indians.
slider
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »

There has been a lot of talk about Hanrahan being traded at the upcoming Winter Meetings, but I also think Garrett Jones will be traded as well. Jones would make a solid DH in the American League, and I think if the right offer is made to Neal & Co. Jones will be traded. If I had a guess, I think he will be traded to the Indians.

I also think Jones will be in play this weekend, some pros and cons-

Pro

- Three more years of control
- Supplies consistent power production
- Versatile enough to play 1b and OF

Con

- Is already 31 years old
- Not very good defensively
- Will start getting expensive next year as a 2nd time arb eligible player

I could see teams like the Red Sox, Mariners, and Rays all being interested in some degree.  Again the problem is that Jones is probably more valuable to the Pirates than he would be elsewhere.  The return would most likely not be to our liking (remember he was almost traded for Jeff Mathis at one point) unless he is part of a bigger package.

Slider
Dogknot3
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 05:30:45 PM »

Trading Jones would just open up another hole. 

I can see him being asked about, but unless the Pirates are offered a very good return I don't see it happening.  Jones is better than Tabata, Sanchez, Presly, and Snyder.
JollyRoger
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 05:45:24 PM »

I think it would be a HUGE HUGE mistake to get rid of Jones unless there is a excellent return which I do not have the confidence that NH would get.
It would make no sense to pay Martin 8.5 million and then jettison one of your best offensive players.
BTW: I disagree that Jones id poor defensively. He is average at worst and good most of the time.
Dogknot3
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 10:03:48 PM »

I think Jones is above average in RF considering his arm.  His defense at 1B is questionable, but he gets by.  It is at least average.

Jones is a fan favorite too.  I know that shouldn't matter, but the return better be pretty good for the average fan to understand.
ECBucs
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:08:21 PM »

I think Jones is above average in RF considering his arm.  His defense at 1B is questionable, but he gets by.  It is at least average.

Jones is a fan favorite too.  I know that shouldn't matter, but the return better be pretty good for the average fan to understand.

I don't know if he is above average but he is at least average.  And his offense is above average against righties.  He should not be dealt until the team knows it has another lefty power hitter for right field. Snider could turn into that but Jones has to stay and perform close to his 2012 numbers for Bucs to have shot at decent offense.
TNbucs
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:52:16 PM »

Rumors will be a dime a dozen this week, but here is one relevant to this thread:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/2012/12/02/heres-a-trade-possibility-for-the-mariners-you-havent-heard-about-yet-pirates-slugger-garrett-jones/

CanadianBucco
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »

I was actually going to propose something along these lines, and now there is some documented truth to a rumor.  NICE

Getting Smoak (who I still think has excellent potential) and is a gold glove calibre 1B too boot.  Would be a real nice find for NH, in my opinion. Sucks losing a fan fav. in G.I. Jones but really when you think about how we got Jones (Minor league free agent?) and parley him into Smoak would be a PLUS PLUS PLUS.

Gonna be a fun week, Hotstove here we come.
SpeedyG
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 04:00:37 AM »

I don't know about Smoak.  He hasn't done a whole lot over the past three seasons and we haven't had the best success with the "faded prospect" type.

John Jaso would have looked a bit better a week or so ago before we shelled out $17 million for Russell Martin.  I wouldn't have minded a Jaso/Fort pairing behind the plate.

Also, that article from the Seattle Times doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.  The guy supposes that the Pirates are desperate to shed salary after signing Martin.  He projects Noesi as a back-end guy and even goes as far as to question Jaso's defensive abilities.

It seems like we would be giving up two relatively proven commodities for potential and some spare parts.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:04:46 AM by SpeedyG » Logged
scrapiron
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:02:56 AM »

The only player in this deal that appeals to me would be Jaso.  The bucs have better guys than Hector Noesi to move into the back end of the rotation.  Smoak just doesn't excite me.  He's has about three combined years of experience in the majors now and he hasn't hit for average, hasn't hit for power, hasn't gotten on base well.  Swapping Jones for him would be a trade for potential alone which at this point I don't know if that potential was real or all just hype.  And I really think the bucs want to give Gaby a chance to rebound and take over that 1B job, or at least make a solid platoon with Jones.   Jaso would be a good backup catcher that hits from the left to complement Martin. 

There's something kind of eeEEEEeeehh about a kid that's never played baseball.   --Foghorn Leghorn
Pirates2014Champ
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:16:29 AM »

I think Seattle is doing whatever it takes to get offense and a decent closer.  They are moving the fences in at Safeco Field I heard.

Garrett Jones would be very suitable for Seattle. Hanrahan as well. I think the deal will be done with them this week.

Smoak fits the Neal mold. Jaso I rafter have him behind the plate instead of Martin. Noesi is terrible.

The deal should be teaked up a bit.  One darkhorse to get Hanrahan's return is Stephen Pryor. Dude got crazy strikeout numbers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=pryor-001ste

Neal will love him.
A. Senter
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:42:04 AM »

Smoak fits the Neal mold.

Agreed.  A player  to give a starting job to...if it was three years ago.
steve19981
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 08:54:59 AM »

I like this deal before they sign Martin but I'd be surprised if the Pirates still had any interest in it now. Smoak is unlikely to establish himself and he's not the kind of player the Pirates should be looking to acquire now.  The pitcher seems like a throw in. Jaso on his own could pretty much justify the move, but with Martin in the fold, a trade with Seattle seems dead to me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:58:28 AM by steve19981 » Logged

Fire Everyone
SpeedyG
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »

The more I think about it, the more I'd rather have three years of a Jones/Sanchez platoon at 1B than Justin Smoak.
gnarburger
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 09:24:16 AM »

I'm all for moving Hanrahan, and I'm really not sold on 2012 being the real Jones vs. what we saw in 2010 and 2011.  I just can't get behind that proposed package at all.

I could have gotten behind a Jaso/McKenry L/R catching tandem, but I can't really see the point now.  2012 was pretty much the best case scenario for Jaso and he was utilized very well, which couldn't happen if you're trying to use him to back up Martin (although I doubt that was ever the plan).

I liked Noesi as a potential Karstens-type starter at one point, but he just blew up last year.  Not sure what happened there, but he has pretty much no value right now.  An ERA nearing 6 despite pitching his home games in Seattle.

Smoak had 50 good games in the PCL before his first callup and hasn't done anything since.  He had a big September this year but that's about it.  He has the pedigree, but I'm just not sure he'll ever adjust.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: