Onlybucs Fan Forums
April 20, 2014, 03:22:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Josh Bell rumor from BP Podcast  (Read 4426 times)
BuccoFla
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:35:36 AM »

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=14197

The Baseball Prospectus podcast is free to listen/download. The Josh Bell discussion starts at the 53 minute mark and goes on for about 5-6 minutes. Here is the rumor that Kevin Goldstein heard on the Saturday before the draft.

Officials from MLB went to Josh Bell's mom after his don't draft me I'm going to college letter came out and offered to make him ineligible for the draft and take his name completely off of the draft eligible player list. His mom said in response "No No don't do that".

Keith Law heard that the Red Sox , Rays , Rangers and Tigers were very interested in Josh Bell. He also thinks it will take eight million to get him signed.
bucs_lose_again
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:57:59 AM »

The Baseball Prospectus podcast is free to listen/download. The Josh Bell discussion starts at the 53 minute mark and goes on for about 5-6 minutes. Here is the rumor that Kevin Goldstein heard on the Saturday before the draft.

Officials from MLB went to Josh Bell's mom after his don't draft me I'm going to college letter came out and offered to make him ineligible for the draft and take his name completely off of the draft eligible player list. His mom said in response "No No don't do that".

Keith Law heard that the Red Sox , Rays , Rangers and Tigers were very interested in Josh Bell. He also thinks it will take eight million to get him signed.

Ha!
GoBucs21
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 06:05:12 AM »

Everybody has a price, like I said.

That $8M is Scott Boras staking his position through Bell's mother.  I've seen him do this with every player he "advises".

Bell will sign.

People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy
markson33
Pirate Fan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 07:09:30 AM »

Anything over $3 million will probably be more than he would get under the new slotting system.  I'm fine with something in the $6-$7mm if it has to be.
blackmax
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 07:42:43 AM »

This is the sort of information that the Pirates must have had when they made the pick. It's still very possible that Bell will decide to go to college to get both a good education and to go on to make many multi millions playing pro baseball, but it is looking like the Pirates have a serious chance.
gamecckfn
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 07:45:15 AM »

This is the sort of information that the Pirates must have had when they made the pick. It's still very possible that Bell will decide to go to college to get both a good education and to go on to make many multi millions playing pro baseball, but it is looking like the Pirates have a serious chance.

Bell could also sign with the Pirates to go to get both a good eduation and to go on to make many more millions playing pro baseball now.
blackmax
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 07:47:44 AM »

That rarely happens.
Born4RF
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 07:50:29 AM »

Anything over $3 million will probably be more than he would get under the new slotting system.  I'm fine with something in the $6-$7mm if it has to be.

I still think he will sign a lot lower than that and I am of the camp that overpaying for teenagers is not a great investment  BUT... this may be the last year you can blow the draft budget out to $16M so there is zero reason to restrict yourself on "principle" and I think MLB tends to look away when small market teams do this than the big guys.  One thing we do know, the PBC has the money to do it so now's the time.  

"Remember when I told you I'd KEEELLL you last?  I lied........"
gamecckfn
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 07:53:50 AM »

That rarely happens.

Not if the player really wants an education.  The Cubs provided a good friend of mine with a education from Villanova.  I know someone else that had the rest of his education at Viriginia paid for.

It is rare for a player to actually follow through with the education, but those players did not want it to begin with.  What is the point of going to college if you do not want to be there?
blackmax
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 07:57:36 AM »

That rarely happens.

Not if the player really wants an education.  The Cubs provided a good friend of mine with a education from Villanova.  I know someone else that had the rest of his education at Viriginia paid for.

It is rare for a player to actually follow through with the education, but those players did not want it to begin with.  What is the point of going to college if you do not want to be there?

Crescat scientia; vita excolatur
SammyKhalifa
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 08:07:58 AM »

I can't listen to it right now, but I was looking at the "Table of Contents."  Could anyone fill me in briefly about what they said about the Rendon situation?
Cutch is a Boss
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »

I'd rather see the Pirates spend $8 mill on Bell than another batch of free agents like Overbay/Diaz/Olsen in the offseason.  Both investments have a very high bust rate, but at least the Bell investment has a significant upside.
TNbucs
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 08:57:46 AM »

I'm sure the family is well aware that signing for $4 million now could translate to an additional $6-$12 million over the course of his career--1-2 years earlier to arbitration, free agency, etc.  And if he isn't the player that people think he is so that arbitration and free agency become irrelevant, then that would likely come out in his college years and he'll never see $4 million even.

And in terms of the college experience--D1 athletes experience college in a much different way than the typical student.  This may not be as extreme for baseball players as football and basketball players, but in general they stick with each other in their own dorms, eating halls, schedules (which revolve around practices and road trips), etc.  But I can see that growing up in Texas the lure of playing for UT would be attractive.
gamecckfn
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 08:59:24 AM »

That rarely happens.

Crescat scientia; vita excolatur

He is not going to UC.  JT's life is still enriched despite not going to college.  Playing baseball does not mean you cannot get an education.  And what is the point if he does not finish the degree? His future is in baseball, not latin classes.
gamecckfn
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 09:03:09 AM »

And in terms of the college experience--D1 athletes experience college in a much different way than the typical student.  This may not be as extreme for baseball players as football and basketball players, but in general they stick with each other in their own dorms, eating halls, schedules (which revolve around practices and road trips), etc.  But I can see that growing up in Texas the lure of playing for UT would be attractive.

The dorms and cafes are the same for athletes and non athletes, but you are right they stick together for the most part.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: