Onlybucs Fan Forums
November 01, 2014, 12:00:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Correia named opening day starter  (Read 1704 times)
IABucFan
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2011, 02:51:41 PM »

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_729008.html
ECBucs
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »

Good news.  I knew he had potential to be a number one starter.

I hope the Cubbies beat the Bucs out for 6th place.
Pirates2014Champ
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »

We'll be talkin about this 10 years from now as to how we went from Correja to Tallion/Heredia as far as Opening Day starters good.
Will
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 03:07:34 PM »

In before uproar to remind everyone what a token title "opening day starter" is. If healthy and moderately effective, Correia will make 30 starts. So will Maholm (if not traded). So will Ohlendorf. So will McDonald. There will be 162 total starts over the course of the 2011 baseball season for the Pirates. It's such a non-issue that Correia happens to be making the first one of those, the amount of time and energy I've seen spent on this topic is pretty silly.
shamtown
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »

With Mcdonald missing time, and the fact that they probably want Maholm to open at home there wasn't much choice.

Thunder
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »

In before uproar to remind everyone what a token title "opening day starter" is. If healthy and moderately effective, Correia will make 30 starts. So will Maholm (if not traded). So will Ohlendorf. So will McDonald. There will be 162 total starts over the course of the 2011 baseball season for the Pirates. It's such a non-issue that Correia happens to be making the first one of those, the amount of time and energy I've seen spent on this topic is pretty silly.
If the past 18 Opening Day starters are any example...healthy and moderately effective are two adjectives that won't be able to describe Correia at the end of the season.
scrapiron
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 04:43:03 PM »

That post was a breath of fresh air.  The opening day starter is a nice 'honor' on a team with good pitching, but we already know that the bucs pitchers are mediocre at best.  It doesn't label Correia as the ace of the staff or anything like that.   Maholm gets the 'honor' of starting the home opener, but that means little as well.  Would it really make anyone feel better if one of the others had been named the starter? 

There's something kind of eeEEEEeeehh about a kid that's never played baseball.   --Foghorn Leghorn
81omar
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »

Now that we know Correia is the opening day starter you can now look at the calendar and figure out the approx date the Bucs will begin to shop around guys like Beimel,Overbay and an overpriced catcher and start building towards a better team in 2012. That date would be March 31st unless my math is wrong?
Dmetz
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 05:23:36 PM »

That post was a breath of fresh air.  The opening day starter is a nice 'honor' on a team with good pitching, but we already know that the bucs pitchers are mediocre at best.  It doesn't label Correia as the ace of the staff or anything like that.   Maholm gets the 'honor' of starting the home opener, but that means little as well.  Would it really make anyone feel better if one of the others had been named the starter?  

I understand your point there Scrap, and agree.  But it's even less important than that.  Because "mediocre at best" is giving considerably too much to the starting pitching.  At least it is using a reasonable person standard.   Basically, he's #1 on the worst starting staff in baseball.  (On paper, at least)  So yeah.  Meaningless.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:25:45 PM by Dmetz » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: