Onlybucs Fan Forums
November 24, 2014, 02:47:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pirate City PM  (Read 2540 times)
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2010, 04:50:43 PM »

Saw most of the exhibitions against the class A Toronto teams before I had to leave.

Hanrahan started for Bradenton and Hayden Penn for WV.  Penn just threw one quick inning, so I got little impression other than seeing 93 and 94 on the radar gun.

Hanrahan had little trouble over 3 innings.  He was sitting at 94 and carving up the class A hitters with his slider.  Not a fair matchup, but he certainly seemed healthy and his command was good.  I suspect the business with him opening on the DL was just to allow some roster maneuvering.  I'll be very surprised if Penn is the last pickup before opening day.

Locke relieved Hanrahan, which may be an indication that he's headed back to high A.  He looked good for two innings but struggled in his third, as he was falling behind in the count.  He then gave up a solo HR to Travis D'Arnaud in his 4th inning.  He was mainly throwing 88-89, a little harder a few times.  His curve seemed to have good break but he wasn't getting it over.

Gabriel Alvarado came after Locke.  He was throwing 90-91, but his FB seemed to have a lot of movement.  He also showed a good slider.  He fanned the first two guys he faced.  Not real sure how he fared after that.

Penn was followed by a lefty who's not on the roster.  Maybe MAL knows who it was.  After that, Kyle McPherson threw, I think, 4 innings.  He got hit pretty hard.  After that was Joely Rodriguez, a LHP who had bad numbers in the DSL last year.  The attraction was pretty clear:  he threw 90-91 consistently to the first couple batters and I saw one 95.  Not much control, though.  I saw him face three batters before leaving and he didn't retire any.  With the third hitter he dropped to the upper-80s, probably trying to get something over.  Looks like a project, but a worthwhile one.

The infielders were the same as the morning drills.  I think the regulars will be Farrell-Holt-Cardona/Chourio-Anderson/Morgan, with the other 1B DHing at Bradenton.  At WV:  Brito-Benji-Cunningham-?.  I'd guess Aaron Baker at first.  He didn't play today, but that may not mean anything.  Gerlis Rodriguez was at first and Chris Garcia DHing.  My best guess is that those last two are competing for a bench/DH job, rather than passing Baker on the depth chart.  If you don't recall, Garcia was signed out of indy ball.  He washed out of the Angels org. despite hitting for high averages.  He's listed at 214 but he's way heavier than that and probably would have to be strictly a DH.  He hasn't shown that much power yet, which may account for the Angels releasing him.

The entire Bradenton OF (Grossman, Marte, Latimore) was elsewhere, so they had what were probably fill-ins:  Edward Garcia, David Rubinstein and Exicardo Cayones.  Cayones being in there made me think maybe he'll get a chance to play at WV this year.  In the plate appearances I saw he walked, lined a single past third and grounded into the hole at short.  The last one would have been a hit but a runner got caught leaning off base.  He took a lot of pitches and didn't have any bad swings.  He even looks a little bit like Bobby Abreu.

The WV OF at the start, L-R, was not-that-Jose Hernandez, Evan Chambers and Wes Freeman.  I think Freeman is getting a serious shot at a spot in WV.  He's been grouped with class A rather than rookie level players every time I've seen him.  He's also swinging the bat much better than I've seen before.  He hammered a double off the fence his first time up today.  Chambers took a LOT of pitches, which cost him because the ump in his game pretty much called strikes on everything but wild pitches.  He did have at least one hit.  Benji G swung the bat well, too.  Cunningham flied to right and was out on a pretty good play on a grounder up the middle, in the ABs I saw.

There was also an odd scrimmage on a third field, with live pitching, that seemed to be partly hitting away and partly bunt drills being done for the benefit of Jeff Clement, who was playing first.  It went on a long time.  Russell was there and told NH afterward he thought the drill helped Clement a lot.  Zack Dodson pitched for a while.  He appeared to have good stuff, with a 90-91 FB and big-breaking curve.  I also saw Edison Barrios, a finesse RHP who throws about 88-89.  He was suspended for violating the drug program a couple years ago.  The last guy was Barrett Phillips, a HS lefty they signed as a NDFA last year.  I only saw him throw a couple pitches.  He's listed at 6'0", but I doubt he's more than 5'10".
Traco Bucco
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:04:45 PM »

Glad to hear that Wes Freeman is looking better.  How soon before opening day do they announce the minor league rosters?
aso513
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »

Great to hear about Cayonez, I have high hopes for him. Wilbur, did you manage to take any pictures today or in the past few days?
MAL
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »

Great to hear about Cayonez, I have high hopes for him. Wilbur, did you manage to take any pictures today or in the past few days?

There are a lot of good looking Latin prospects in camp.
Woobie
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »

Good to know that Cayonez doesn't have a Michaelangel Trinidad body type. Smiley

From a pure physical standpoint, Andury Acevedo looks like he has a great baseball frame. If only he would start hitting.
MAL
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 06:42:03 PM »

I was an interesting day.  As WTM said Clement and JR were on 1 field, Hanrahan and Penn were pitching on seperate fields.  Frank Coonelly was smooshing the littles, Huntington and Bill Lajoie were in the tower watching practice and Rene Gayo was also on hand.
MAL
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »

Another guy getting a lot of play with the WV group is Rogelio Norris but everytime I see him play he's walking back to the dugout after swinging at strike 3.
A. Senter
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »

Thanks for the report WTM!
GoBucs21
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 08:22:15 PM »

I watched Locke pitch a couple of times last season.  I saw nothing impressive.

People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 10:04:44 PM »

Got a few, yeah.  I haven't sent any more to Charlie.

One guy I haven't seen a single time is Jorge Bishop.  Saw plenty of guys like Avila, Barrios, Polanco, Nivar, etc.  No Bishop.
aso513
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 10:53:08 PM »

They keep him caged up to try and conceal his monster talent.
MAL
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 07:26:07 AM »

Got a few, yeah.  I haven't sent any more to Charlie.

One guy I haven't seen a single time is Jorge Bishop.  Saw plenty of guys like Avila, Barrios, Polanco, Nivar, etc.  No Bishop.

Polanco is another guy I was watching closely yesterday morning during BP. He was putting some nice swings on the ball and making some nice contact.  He appears to be more of a line drive hitter now but with his frame he has room to grow.  He's a good looking 18yo kid.
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »

Polanco is another guy I was watching closely yesterday morning during BP. He was putting some nice swings on the ball and making some nice contact.  He appears to be more of a line drive hitter now but with his frame he has room to grow.  He's a good looking 18yo kid.

I've been watching him off and on as opportunity allows.  He and Gavi Nivar are pretty similar, although Nivar looks to be faster and more athletic, and Polanco the better hitter.  They're both tall and thin, with good line-drive swings but not enough strength yet.  Clearly some potential there.  The Pirates just didn't used to have young guys like this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: