Onlybucs Fan Forums
April 25, 2014, 01:22:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jarek to start at Bradenton. Wow.  (Read 3421 times)
aso513
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:15:02 PM »

In FC's chat over at Pirates.com someone asked about Cunningham, and FC said he's expected to open at Bradenton, guess they think highly of him huh.
wat.da.buc.up
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »

I think this is great! But I do feel it is a little too aggressive. As great as he was in 2008, he hasn't been in a game situation since then and could possibly be overmatched. I feel a short stay in low-a could do him well followed by a promotion to high a after about 150 at bats.
MAL
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:03:47 PM »

Organizations usually start their #1 picks at A+ so if indeed Cunningham does start there this year the Pirates REALLY think a lot of him.  I know he had a little time in rookie ball in 2008 but this would be a very aggressive promotion. 
Dignan
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:07:31 PM »

Are we sure he was talking about high A Bradenton and not GCL Bradenton?  Just checking.
MAL
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »

Are we sure he was talking about high A Bradenton and not GCL Bradenton?  Just checking.

pnrsteelers: I was wondering how Jarek Cunningham is doing with is comeback from a season-ending injury last year.

Coonelly: Jarek Cunningham is fully recovered from the knee injury that he suffered shortly after having a dynamic start to his professional career following his selection in the 2008 Draft. Jarek is an exciting infield prospect who is likely to open the 2010 season with our new High-A club in Bradenton, Fla. In fact, Jarek was -- along with Tony Sanchez -- one of our "models" for the new Marauders jerseys that we introduced in Bradenton last week. Jarek worked extremely hard to rehab from his injury and we look forward to his progression through the system.

Woobie
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 05:20:16 PM »

And I thought Marte to West Virginia last year was aggressive.

Wow.
Dignan
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 05:37:22 PM »

pnrsteelers: I was wondering how Jarek Cunningham is doing with is comeback from a season-ending injury last year.

Coonelly: Jarek Cunningham is fully recovered from the knee injury that he suffered shortly after having a dynamic start to his professional career following his selection in the 2008 Draft. Jarek is an exciting infield prospect who is likely to open the 2010 season with our new High-A club in Bradenton, Fla. In fact, Jarek was -- along with Tony Sanchez -- one of our "models" for the new Marauders jerseys that we introduced in Bradenton last week. Jarek worked extremely hard to rehab from his injury and we look forward to his progression through the system.

Well, that's pretty unambiguous!  Good for Jarek.  I'll be looking forward to seeing how he does this year, that's for sure.
Traco Bucco
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:31:09 PM »

When I saw that Cunningham was one of the models for the Bradenton jerseys, I hoped that this would be in the works.  It's good to see that he's keeping up with his "born in 1989/2008 HS draft" peers in Quinton Miller and Robbie Grossman.  Bradenton could have a really interesting starting lineup:

C - Tony Sanchez
1B - Cal Anderson or Kyle Morgan
2B - ??
SS - Jarek Cunningham
3B - Jesus Brito or Jeremy Farrell
OF - Quincy Latimore, Starling Marte, Robbie Grossman
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 06:35:11 PM »

Cunningham said in an interview that he expected to play second this year to reduce the stress on his knee.  I'd guess the SS there will be Brock Holt.  If not him, then somebody out of Jose de los Santos, Rodolfo Cardona or Greg Picart.
81omar
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:10:15 PM »

Just a wild guess but he might be starting there because of the weather down in Florida will be much better for someone coming back from a 2nd major leg injury. He hasnt played in cold weather since sometime in 2007,he missed his senior year in high school,played in the GCL in 2008,rehabbed all last year in Bradenton
aso513
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »

Can we possibly do a thread for each of the minor league teams asking posters who they think will be at each level?
Woobie
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »

I, for one, wouldn't have any problems with a Chase and Jarek DP combo in Pittsburgh. Smiley
gnarburger
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 05:31:05 PM »

The craziest thing about putting Cunningham there is that not only was he a high school pick, he was a guy who missed most of his senior year in HS.  That time in rookie ball was almost the only baseball he played in 2 years.
wvbucco
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 05:43:52 PM »

He must have a pretty advanced approach to be put that high.  I hope they are not putting him over his head.

Go Bucs!
CAfan
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »

Did he rehab all year in Pirate City, and was he there in the fall, and early again this year.  If so, i can see the approach.  I'm sure they know enough about the young man, to be able to formulate that decision.  He did seem to have an advanced approach at the plate, if healthy, I think he will do good things.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: