Onlybucs Fan Forums
April 17, 2014, 04:58:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Japanese lefty?  (Read 2321 times)
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »

Don't know how much stock to place in this, but the Pirates may have a good chance of signing Hisanori Takahashi.

http://www.npbtracker.com/2010/02/sanspo-on-hisa-takahashi/
81omar
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:33:01 PM »

Unless they know something we dont,the Bucs rotation for next year has been set since about the end of September,we just dont if Hart loses the 5th spot to McCutchen,will he be the long man or start at Indy. It wouldnt be a bad idea to say the loser of the battle for the 5th spot goes to the minors no matter who it is and if Takahashi is good enough he can be the longman/2nd lefty/spot starter
blackmax
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:50:09 PM »

How often do all five of our projected starters make it through spring training without injury, conditions, control issues?  I think a decent team would go into training with at least 7 plausible starters to open the season.
81omar
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:23:57 PM »

I think they had 7th and beyond options like Karstens,Virgil Vazquez,Brad Lincoln and Brian Burres, just none of them have a realistic chance of making it unless theres 2 guys who get injured or struggle.
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 12:08:12 AM »

I imagine they'd be interested in this guy as a reliever.
The Moose
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 12:39:43 AM »

Oh, I don't know, Wilbur.

First off, while we hope that Ohlendorf can build on his 2009 second half success, we don't know that he will. In fact, who was the last Pirates starting pitcher to post back-to-back sub-4.00 ERAs, over 2 or more seasons? Denny Neagle?

Additionally none of us knows which Maholm or Duke will show up in 2010. Both of those guys can either pitch like #1 starters, or pitch like they shouldn't be in MLB. And sometimes, can pitch like that in back-to-back starts. Let alone over month long or more stretches.

Plus, Charlie Morton is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. He's either going to be very good, or pretty bad.

The Pirates first 4 starters have the potential to be a solid rotation. But any of the 4 of them can blow up sky-high, at the drop of a hat. Or go on the DL. Which would make Takahashi a pretty handy guy to have around.

Also, he would make Duke easier to trade at any time, while still keeping Lincoln in Indy until at least June (gaining the extra year of control over him).

So, yeah, in a utopian Pirates world, Ohlendorf, Maholm, Duke, Morton, and D-Mac would all pitch solid, while Lincoln, Hart, and Veal were mowing them down in Indy, and knocking on the door. Which would leave no room for Takahashi, except in the bullpen.

But in the real world, where much goes wrong with amazing frequency, Takahashi, or any additional starter/reliever Huntington happens to sign, will wind up getting some starts.
Doumits Girl
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 08:27:48 AM »

How old is this Japanese import?

If it's anything like Neal's other acquisitions, I'm sure he's going to be in his mid- to late-30's.  Not what a rebuilding team needs, especially considering the rather mediocre debuts most Japanese pitchers have when they come over here.

...Whoopie.

Jacen
kansasfan
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »

Moose, not to be over optimistic, but the top 4 seem to be pretty solid and don't seem to have any indication of "blowing up sky high" -- on the other hand, none of them have proven that they will consistently be #1 or #2 starter on a good team, either.

Duke and Maholm really look like basic middle of the rotation, big-league starters.  They've been around a few years and posted 5+ ERAs in 2007, but the last two years have been respectable.  I don't really see any reason that those two will regress back to their 2007 form, but I would expect ERA's around 4.50.  Again, not top-end rotation, but not Snell-like, either.

Ohlendorf really seemed to learn a lot during the year, both from the experience of starting the whole year and from his time with Kerrigan.  From what I've heard he's a pretty bright guy, and don't really see any reason to expect him to get a lot worse than his full season's stats.  He did post a sub-3.00 ERA after the all-star break.

And Morton has the best stuff on the staff.  If you're concerned about him blowing up in Chicago, hey, I'll take a guy who has a 3.50 ERA in 17 starts and gives up 10 runs in 1 inning in his other start.  That guy gives me a chance to win 17 out of 18 games.
mouse
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 10:42:54 AM »

From the sounds of things, he wants a major league contract. He has four minor league offers but hasn't accepted any of them. You would have to be pretty sure he's a keeper to make an offer. And who would you drop from the current 25-man group?
Will
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »

From the sounds of things, he wants a major league contract. He has four minor league offers but hasn't accepted any of them. You would have to be pretty sure he's a keeper to make an offer. And who would you drop from the current 25-man group?

If the Bucs were to maintain their use of a 7-man bullpen, I'm guessing it would just be the 7th guy, be it Jakubauskas or whoever. A more interesting dilemma would be who do you drop from the 40-man roster if you give this guy a Major League contract. Unless they could get him to agree to a deal structured like D.J. Carrasco's, which appears to be a minor league contract in name only, just to keep other fringe guys on the 40-man roster around for a bit longer.
Dogknot3
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »

I have to question this player.  I read his stats and they look pretty good, but the Major Leagues is a little different than the Japanese league. 

I just think if this guy was so god, he would have been in the Majors a long time ago.  It seems to me that his career is almost over and he wants to see if he could actually pitch in the Major League. 

The Pirates don't need him for exposure reasons.  They have Iwamura to help spread the Bucco love.
Bloop and a Blast
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 04:52:23 PM »

I have to question this player.  I read his stats and they look pretty good, but the Major Leagues is a little different than the Japanese league. 

I just think if this guy was so god, he would have been in the Majors a long time ago.  It seems to me that his career is almost over and he wants to see if he could actually pitch in the Major League. 

The Pirates don't need him for exposure reasons.  They have Iwamura to help spread the Bucco love.

When did he become a Japanese FA? They've got you for 9 years before you can leave, so it's not like he was going to be less than 30-32 anyway, right?

But as for being a safe pick, I don't think there is such a thing. When someone gets to the big leagues and performs, then I'll say he's a safe pick. Until that happens, there's no such thing. -Bruce Seid- Brewers Director of Scouting
The Moose
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 12:37:57 AM »

Moose, not to be over optimistic, but the top 4 seem to be pretty solid and don't seem to have any indication of "blowing up sky high" -- on the other hand, none of them have proven that they will consistently be #1 or #2 starter on a good team, either.

Duke and Maholm really look like basic middle of the rotation, big-league starters.  They've been around a few years and posted 5+ ERAs in 2007, but the last two years have been respectable.  I don't really see any reason that those two will regress back to their 2007 form, but I would expect ERA's around 4.50.  Again, not top-end rotation, but not Snell-like, either.

Ohlendorf really seemed to learn a lot during the year, both from the experience of starting the whole year and from his time with Kerrigan.  From what I've heard he's a pretty bright guy, and don't really see any reason to expect him to get a lot worse than his full season's stats.  He did post a sub-3.00 ERA after the all-star break.

And Morton has the best stuff on the staff.  If you're concerned about him blowing up in Chicago, hey, I'll take a guy who has a 3.50 ERA in 17 starts and gives up 10 runs in 1 inning in his other start.  That guy gives me a chance to win 17 out of 18 games.

Well, aside from the strong speculation that Duke will be traded at some point this season, look at it this way:

Heading into 2009, the Cubs rotation of Zambrano, Lilly, Dempster, Harden, and Marshall looked very solid. In fact, it looked to be the rotation of the favorites in the NLCD.

Yet, Randy Wells wound up coming up from AAA Iowa, and making 27 starts for the Cubs. (And did so well, that he's a mainstay in the 2010 Cubs rotation.)

Mitchell Boggs made 9 starts for the NLCD-winning Cardinals. He wasn't quite the rousing success that Wells was in Chicago, but he did ok - posting a 4.19 ERA.

The point is, that while "lady luck" hasn't exactly been the Pirates friend recently, the one area they've been quite lucky on is having almost all the starters make their scheduled starts. The rotation has seen very little DL time.

Now, that's great, and I hope it continues. But the law of averages says that it won't.

And when the Pirates lose a SP to the DL, then having a reliable innings-eater around would lessen the blow.

Now, I'm not advocating for Takahashi, necessarily. But whether it's Takahashi, or Braden Looper, or Livan Hernandez, or Noah Lowry, or Eric Milton, or any one of a number of guys whose price will come down, once pitchers and catchers report, and Huntington has a chance to grab one, he should.

And if he can get one on a minor-league deal, even to stick in the Indy rotation, along with Lincoln, Veal, Hart, etc., all the better.

He can hang a sign on whatever one he signs, saying, "Use only in Emergency". But a guy like that may prove to be very handy to have around, in a few months.

It would save from Lincoln being called up too early, if the Pirates do wind up needing a starter. Or calling up Veal before he's ready.

Sometimes, a team needs a little luck. But at the same time, luck tends to favor the prepared. And I see nothing wrong with Huntington signing an extra SP, if he can get one for under $2M. Even if they pitch half the year in Indy.
Dogknot3
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:56:53 PM »

When did he become a Japanese FA? They've got you for 9 years before you can leave, so it's not like he was going to be less than 30-32 anyway, right?

Ichiro was 27 and Iwamura was 28 when they came to the Majors.  Dice-K was 26. 

I don't know how the Japanese league actually works.  I thought teams sold most of them to the Majors.  Meaning, teams had to pay the Japanese teams for their contract rights.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: