Onlybucs Fan Forums
August 27, 2014, 08:07:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good news from Tim  (Read 2932 times)
bradlej31
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:43:41 PM »

"....but Harrison has looked pretty good at shortstop. He won’t win any Gold Glove awards, but he looks like he can handle the position."

That would be pretty cool if we've found a decent hitting SS as a throw-in from the Grabow trade.

Mercer was playing 2B while Harrison was at SS, so it lends more credence to the thought.
slider
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:15:16 PM »

"....but Harrison has looked pretty good at shortstop. He won’t win any Gold Glove awards, but he looks like he can handle the position."

That would be pretty cool if we've found a decent hitting SS as a throw-in from the Grabow trade.

Mercer was playing 2B while Harrison was at SS, so it lends more credence to the thought.

I find it hard to believe that a guy who was not good enough to handle 3b or 2b as a regular would be an option at SS.  Coming up through the system Harrison was described as a bat first guy who had no defensive position, so to ask him to learn the most difficult position on the IF would seem a stretch.  I still think that he will be a good utility guy, but if Barmes is out for any stretch of time, Harrison should not be a starting ss option.

Slider
izzman
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:24:28 PM »

Sure Harrison can play shortstop like Dave Kingman had a glove or Manny Ramirez plays outfield.
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »

Surprisingly, Harrison showed up quite well at third in the defensive metrics last year.  Miniscule sample size, of course.
Xiga
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »

Surprisingly, Harrison showed up quite well at third in the defensive metrics last year.  Miniscule sample size, of course.

I noticed that too, which really surprised me because he definitely didn't pass the eye test with me.

As far as him playing SS, I doubt he'd ever be a regular option but it's another thing to have in his tool box. He seems to have the makings of a pretty solid utility guy and the more positions he can "play" the better. Has he gotten any work in the OF at all?
Piratesprospects
Pirate Fan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »

I find it hard to believe that a guy who was not good enough to handle 3b or 2b as a regular would be an option at SS.  Coming up through the system Harrison was described as a bat first guy who had no defensive position, so to ask him to learn the most difficult position on the IF would seem a stretch.  I still think that he will be a good utility guy, but if Barmes is out for any stretch of time, Harrison should not be a starting ss option.

Slider

I always felt he was fine defensively at third base. He just doesn't have the bat for the position.

But he's done a lot of work over the off-season, losing some weight and getting stronger. I think his play at second and short is about the same. He can handle the position, but his bat would have to drive his value at either spot.
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »

FWIW, NH told somebody I know that they see Harrison as potentially the backup middle IF because they figure Barmes will play full time, so they'll only need a backup SS for about 10-12 games.  That's the perspective I think they should have on it.  He could PH or come in on double switches when they're trailing in 100 games.  That'll have more impact than him starting two games a month.
UtahPirate
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »

He could PH or come in on double switches when they're trailing in 100 games.

Ha Wilbur! You aren't going to do that to me just yet.

It's sunny and 55 degrees outside right now. I just finished a wonderful hike on the mountains behind my house. My high school son has his first game on Wednesday and it actually looks like they will have good weather to play. I still remember the warm feelings of leading the division last July and am not ready to concede the murderous schedule we drew for April this year. No, no, no, my knowledgeable friend — my optimistic Pirate glass is half full right now and is going to stay that way through spring.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."  J.R.R. Tolkien
magnumo
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »

Seems to me that Harrison's primary competition is Navarro.  Harrison's ability to hit with Navarro AND show himself to be "adequate" at SS will determine whether he makes the team.

-  On one hand, it appears that Hurdle likes Harrison's attitude and energy.

-  On the other, McGehee seems likely to take any 3B playing time which is not given to Alvarez. 

-  As has already pointed out, Harrison isn't likely to get much PT in the middle infield.  If either Barmes or Walker gets hurt, I don't see them using Harrison as a long-term replacement.
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »

It's sunny and 55 degrees outside right now. I just finished a wonderful hike on the mountains behind my house. My high school son has his first game on Wednesday and it actually looks like they will have good weather to play. I still remember the warm feelings of leading the division last July and am not ready to concede the murderous schedule we drew for April this year. No, no, no, my knowledgeable friend — my optimistic Pirate glass is half full right now and is going to stay that way through spring.

I'm not saying trailing in 100 games.  I'm saying PH + double switches when trailing could = 100 games.  They do PH when ahead.   Smiley
UtahPirate
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »

I'm not saying trailing in 100 games.  I'm saying PH + double switches when trailing could = 100 games.  They do PH when ahead.   Smiley

Ahhh. Thanks for the clarification.

It fits better with my annual spring Kool-aid sipping!

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."  J.R.R. Tolkien
VaPirate
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »

Sure Harrison can play shortstop like Dave Kingman had a glove or Manny Ramirez plays outfield.

I've never understood why Harrison gets so little "love" among Pirate fans.  I always thought his glove played well at 3rd, better than Pedro.  And his bat, while not a lot of power, is a + off the bench.  Losing weight -  I can definitely see him playing SS.  His bat will be excellent there.

In the Gonzo trade he is the only one left standing between the Pirates and the Cubs - the Pirates got a good one.
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »

I've never understood why Harrison gets so little "love" among Pirate fans.  I always thought his glove played well at 3rd, better than Pedro.  And his bat, while not a lot of power, is a + off the bench.  Losing weight -  I can definitely see him playing SS.  His bat will be excellent there.

In the Gonzo trade he is the only one left standing between the Pirates and the Cubs - the Pirates got a good one.

My problem with Harrison isn't his glove, since he profiles as a UT guy anyway.  My problem is that he routinely swings at pitches over his head and three feet outside.
bobster
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »

As far as him playing SS, I doubt he'd ever be a regular option but it's another thing to have in his tool box. He seems to have the makings of a pretty solid utility guy and the more positions he can "play" the better.

I think that's it. Even Ty Wigginton made 9 appearances for the Orioles at SS in 2009. That was fun to watch. Sometimes you just need a guy for an inning or two. Maybe Harrison can do that. Probably better than Wigginton.

They might keep 2 utility infielders. If they go with 12 pitchers, 2 catchers, 2 1B men (Jones and McGehee), 4 OFers (Jones can also play there), Walker, Barmes and Alvarez, that leaves spots for Harrison and Navarro.

"we will be able to support that payroll very soon if our fans believe that we now have a group of players in Pittsburgh and on its way here in the near future that is competitive." - Frank Coonelly

" If he or others want a market-value deal, they'll sign elsewhere." - Neal Huntington
izzman
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »

I really just felt like making a joke. Even if a bad one. Smiley. I think we can all pretty much agree he is not an everyday SS.  Actually can we think of a case where a player has actually transitioned to a harder defensive position once reaching the majors? Walker went Catcher (very hard) to 3B easier. Now his transition from 3rd to second would that be considered harder. Freddy Sanchez did that. Van Slyke's transition from 3B to CF was plain remarkable.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: