Onlybucs Fan Forums
October 21, 2014, 07:00:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Contact Us at onlybucs1 @ gmail.com

If you would like to join OBN please use the email addy above to let us know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFL Thread  (Read 20812 times)
steve19981
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »

In his chat today someone asked Keith Law if Robbie Grossman was a top 100 prospect for 2012.  Law said yes.  Crazy how wildly opinions vary on him.  BA acted like he wasn't even considered for the FSL top 20.

From knocking him for a typical Arizona league hr in game one to a top 100 prospect. Klaw has zero credibility in my book.
How was he knocking him for that?  He just said it happened.

Did he make that point for any of the other 7 hrs hit that day or did he single out grossman?

Fire Everyone
steve19981
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2011, 04:08:40 PM »

In his chat today someone asked Keith Law if Robbie Grossman was a top 100 prospect for 2012.  Law said yes.  Crazy how wildly opinions vary on him.  BA acted like he wasn't even considered for the FSL top 20.

From knocking him for a typical Arizona league hr in game one to a top 100 prospect. Klaw has zero credibility in my book.
Doesn't intelligence allow for change?

Certainly does, but intelligence also does some amount of thinking before taking a position in the first place. Law has been lukewarm on him and now he's a top prospect?

Fire Everyone
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »

Somebody at BD posted this link to Dejan's video of Grossman hitting the HR:

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2011/10/20/on-location-cole-grossman-in-fall-ball/#
That was a good swing.  Leg kick its a bit high but he keeps his hands still until he starts his swing.  Grossman's numbers this year were amazing.  After seeing that swing, there isn't a lot to hate.  There is a lot to like.

I really liked what I saw of him in Bradenton last July.  LH power was an issue for him in the past, but I saw him drive two balls to the wall (one off it, one short-hopped) in left-center batting LH.  No, he's never going to be Texeira or anything, but he does drive the ball.  He's not the same guy he was two years ago.  At his age, that's not exactly remarkable.
GoBucs21
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2011, 04:18:03 PM »

Somebody at BD posted this link to Dejan's video of Grossman hitting the HR:

http://blog.triblive.com/dejan-kovacevic/2011/10/20/on-location-cole-grossman-in-fall-ball/#
That was a good swing.  Leg kick its a bit high but he keeps his hands still until he starts his swing.  Grossman's numbers this year were amazing.  After seeing that swing, there isn't a lot to hate.  There is a lot to like.

I really liked what I saw of him in Bradenton last July.  LH power was an issue for him in the past, but I saw him drive two balls to the wall (one off it, one short-hopped) in left-center batting LH.  No, he's never going to be Texeira or anything, but he does drive the ball.  He's not the same guy he was two years ago.  At his age, that's not exactly remarkable.
It was one swing on a pitch that he obviously was comfortable with but, I saw no reason to think he can't hit for power.  His swing was really good.  He showed some power this year.  If his issues were from the left side, he will get a lot of repetitions from that side to improve.

One of the things that people need to understand about Grossman is how much he cut down on his strikeouts.  One can't look at his strike outs as a ratio of his at bats because he walks so much.  He struck out just over 18 times per 100 plate appearances this year.  Marte struck out just under 18 times per 100 plate appearances.

ECBucs made the comment about Henderson without the speed.  Henderson hit about .280 but had a .400+ OBP.  Ricky would have been an all-star without the speed and the other numbers.  Another comp would be Johnny Damon with more OBP.  Or, Nick Swisher minus some homerun power.  I would take any of those.

People say I am ruthless. I am not ruthless. And if I find the man who is calling me ruthless, I shall destroy him.
Robert F. Kennedy

Moral courage is a more rare commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence.
Robert F. Kennedy
thegreatchris
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2011, 04:20:54 PM »

This makes no sense. Law observed that a ball he hit got the benefit of the doubt from the wind and that it happens often in AFL. That has nothing to do with the skillset or evaluation of the player. He could say Bryce Harper hit a popup that went out and it's unrelated to ranking him the top hitter in the minors.
Pirates2014Champ
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »

More awesome stuff from Robbie Grossman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rGSNQCdsMM

He also hit a 2-run single in the 5th

He is overshadowing Gerrit Cole's performance today.
TNbucs
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2011, 04:37:58 PM »

I didn't realize that he had just started hitting LH a couple of years ago--it's pretty amazing how far he's come in that short of time and bodes well for the future.
Pirates2014Champ
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2011, 04:51:42 PM »

I didn't realize that he had just started hitting LH a couple of years ago--it's pretty amazing how far he's come in that short of time and bodes well for the future.

I stated from the very beginning that his skill set was similar to Brian Giles.  Now I don't expect Grossman to be a 35-40 HR man at PNC but it's hard not to be too giddy even if he hasn't reached Altoona yet.
aso513
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »

Wasn't a knock, he's been a big Grossman and Cole supporter. He doesn't hate the Pirates he just doesn't like their not so good prospects.
VaPirate
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2011, 12:26:26 AM »

I don't think that is true.  GC - 3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 K, 1 BB, no runs.  This against a very strong line up in a hitters league.  Plus he busted 100 mph a couple of times.  In his SECOND professional start.  Is Cole the Pirates #1 prospect???

Not dissing Cunningham, but let's say that it looks like the Pirates have a couple of legit potential stars in the system.  VERY encouraging.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:41:55 AM by VaPirate » Logged

VaPirate
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2011, 12:41:11 AM »

In the "Wonder if this really means anything dept":

Grossman OPS is over 1.10
Cunningham OPS is over .900 (w/ 3 HRs)
Bryce Harper OPS is .697 (1 HR) after 10 games

I could find no stats on Anthony Rendon

thegreatchris
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »

I don't think that is true.  GC - 3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 K, 1 BB, no runs.  This against a very strong line up in a hitters league.  Plus he busted 100 mph a couple of times.  In his SECOND professional start.  Is Cole the Pirates #1 prospect???

Not dissing Cunningham, but let's say that it looks like the Pirates could have a couple of legit potential stars in the system.  VERY encouraging.

Cole is the Pirates' #1 prospect, with Taillon a close second.
gnarburger
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2011, 12:47:10 AM »

The Nationals actually didn't let Rendon play in Instructs.  He was there, but wasn't allowed to participate in games or even hit real pitching.  He took infield and BP, but wasn't allowed into any real action.
gamecckfn
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »

The Nationals actually didn't let Rendon play in Instructs.  He was there, but wasn't allowed to participate in games or even hit real pitching.  He took infield and BP, but wasn't allowed into any real action.

Any reason why?  That seems odd.
WTM
Global Moderator
Pirate Fan

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »

Any reason why?  That seems odd.

They're worried about his shoulder.  Of course, they claim they're not worried and he says he's just fine (as he did all season when he couldn't play the field and wasn't hitting well).  Everything is fine . . . no worries at all.  Really.  He'll be fine.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: