Random MLB fun facts

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Random MLB fun facts

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

One of my favorite stories is when Babe Herman of the Dodgers doubled into a double play when he, and two other base runners, ended up on third base together.  The joke around Brooklyn thereafter was this:  First fan:  "The Dodgers have the bases loaded."  Second fan:  "Yeah, which one?"

There's another funny story about Herman, a famously bad fielder.  When informed by his bank that someone was impersonating him and trying to cash bad checks, he told them  to "just hit him some fly balls.  If he catches them, he ain't me."
Surgnbuck

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Surgnbuck »

Joaquin Andujar never allowed a grand slam in his MLB career, but hit one.
Surgnbuck

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Surgnbuck »

Dick Wickersham, Aurelio Monteagudo, Moe Drabowsky, and Ken Sanders share what distinction?
DemDog

Random MLB fun facts

Post by DemDog »

7C5A5D48414D5A4C442F0 wrote: Dick Wickersham, Aurelio Monteagudo, Moe Drabowsky, and Ken Sanders share what distinction?

They all played for both the KC Athletics and the KC Royals.
Surgnbuck

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Surgnbuck »

5D7C745D767E190 wrote: Dick Wickersham, Aurelio Monteagudo, Moe Drabowsky, and Ken Sanders share what distinction?

You Googled!!!! And, more appropriately, the ONLY four guys to play for both of those teams ;) ;) ;)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Random MLB fun facts

5A7C7B6E676B7C6A62090 wrote: Dick Wickersham, Aurelio Monteagudo, Moe Drabowsky, and Ken Sanders share what distinction?

You Googled!!!! And, more appropriately, the ONLY four guys to play for both of those teams ;) ;) ;)

That was a great question, Surge, and it had me looking up info regarding the Expos/Nationals and the Braves. Jose Vidro was the only guy to play for both the Expos and Nationals, and Eddie Mathews was the only Brave to call Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta home.
Surgnbuck

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Surgnbuck »

Only one guy for the Expos and Nationals? What am I missing here, weren't they the Expos one year, Nationals the next? Seems like a whole team would be part of that.
DemDog

Random MLB fun facts

Post by DemDog »

426463767F7364727A110 wrote: Dick Wickersham, Aurelio Monteagudo, Moe Drabowsky, and Ken Sanders share what distinction?

Google, you bet, my son-in-law is a Sr Engineer for Google. :) :) :)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Random MLB fun facts

5C7A7D68616D7A6C640F0 wrote: Only one guy for the Expos and Nationals? What am I missing here, weren't they the Expos one year, Nationals the next? Seems like a whole team would be part of that.

I wondered the same thing. If I recall, the Expos kind of eased out of Montreal by playing maybe a couple dozen games in Puerto Rico for a couple of seasons before permanently locating in Washington. Maybe that’s why it seems like they closed shop in Canada one year and then started up in DC the next. Even still, it’s pretty amazing that they changed out their whole roster, except for Vidro, over a three year period.
Surgnbuck

Random MLB fun facts

Post by Surgnbuck »

03222A032820470 wrote: Dick Wickersham, Aurelio Monteagudo, Moe Drabowsky, and Ken Sanders share what distinction?

Google, you bet, my son-in-law is a Sr Engineer for Google.   :) :) :)

Tell him to keep an eye on me!