The Other Games 2024

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Re: The Other Games 2024

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:54 am We have the season's first no hitter as Houston's Ronel Blanco no hits Toronto.
I was telling my boss as they were showing hilights, "Must have been pretty routine, I don't recall seeing a single hilight of a great defensive play or two that usually occurs to keep the thing going." Right on cue, the hilight showed the play made by the first baseman in the ninth inning, with Blanco doing a great job on his end covering the bag.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I know it's early, but right now there are 9 teams on pace to score 1,000 or more runs. The last team to do it was the Indians in 1999 with 1,009. The 1931 Yankees hold the modern era record at 1,067. Not surprisingly, the Yankees are on the list quite a bit, doing it FOUR times in the 1930's (1930, 1931, 1932, 1936). Yet which Yankee team is the one referenced most often when you want to compare a team's greatness? Those 1927 bums only scored 975, and are only second in run differential in the modern era, to the 1939 Yankees.
Doc

Post by Doc »

bucs607179 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:49 pm
Doc wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:54 am We have the season's first no hitter as Houston's Ronel Blanco no hits Toronto.
That was fast! I'm guessing that in the history of MLB someone threw a no-no opening day.??
Bob Feller has thrown the only Opening Day no hitter, coming in 1940 against the White Sox.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:50 pm
I was telling my boss as they were showing hilights, "Must have been pretty routine, I don't recall seeing a single hilight of a great defensive play or two that usually occurs to keep the thing going." Right on cue, the hilight showed the play made by the first baseman in the ninth inning, with Blanco doing a great job on his end covering the bag.
Yep, it was a good play, and it came right at the end of the game. Otherwise, I don't think there was another difficult play.
Doc

Post by Doc »

This is a bit off topic but voters in Jackson County, Missouri voted down a tax increase that would've helped pay for a new downtown ballpark for the Royals. I didn't know the team was looking to replace Kaufmann Stadium. Officials of the team aren't giving up, though, as they're going to look into other ways of financing.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Doc wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:46 pm This is a bit off topic but voters in Jackson County, Missouri voted down a tax increase that would've helped pay for a new downtown ballpark for the Royals. I didn't know the team was looking to replace Kaufmann Stadium. Officials of the team aren't giving up, though, as they're going to look into other ways of financing.
Did you see that the Oakland (Las Vegas) A's are getting new stadium? After like 70 years the Tropicana closed it's doors and will be demolished to make way for it. The last resort standing from the 50's will be the Sahara. Vegas about to be like Pittsburgh, MLB, NHL and NFL. I'd guess they'd get a NBA team before Pittsburgh. Actually I can't see Pittsburgh supporting an NBA team.
Doc

Post by Doc »

bucs607179 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:55 pm
Doc wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:46 pm This is a bit off topic but voters in Jackson County, Missouri voted down a tax increase that would've helped pay for a new downtown ballpark for the Royals. I didn't know the team was looking to replace Kaufmann Stadium. Officials of the team aren't giving up, though, as they're going to look into other ways of financing.
Did you see that the Oakland (Las Vegas) A's are getting new stadium? After like 70 years the Tropicana closed it's doors and will be demolished to make way for it. The last resort standing from the 50's will be the Sahara. Vegas about to be like Pittsburgh, MLB, NHL and NFL. I'd guess they'd get a NBA team before Pittsburgh. Actually I can't see Pittsburgh supporting an NBA team.
If the NBA hasn’t moved into Pittsburgh by now it’s unlikely they ever will. Philly and Cleveland used to play the occasional game here in the past and I guess they were never well-attended. It’s been awhile since one of those teams was here so I guess the NBA has concluded this isn’t fertile ground.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

As of 4-5-24
Major League team with the worst record- Marlins ( were in he playoffs last year)
Major League teams with the best records
Pirates 6-1
Yankees 6-1
Dodgers 7-2
Javy

Post by Javy »

Doc wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:23 pm
If the NBA hasn’t moved into Pittsburgh by now it’s unlikely they ever will. Philly and Cleveland used to play the occasional game here in the past and I guess they were never well-attended. It’s been awhile since one of those teams was here so I guess the NBA has concluded this isn’t fertile ground.
We only need to look back to the Pittsburgh Pipers in the old ABA to realize the Burgh isn't a basketball town. They were the first ABA champion, not well attended, and Gabe Rubin moved the team to Minnesota for a year. They flopped there, and he brought the team back to Pittsburgh, changed the name to the Condors, and created an even worse situation. Fans were not into basketball, they had an an unscrupulous owner, and a roster that wasn't built to win, having allowed their biggest star (Connie Hawkins) to leave (sound familiar??). The team was sold to even worse owners (the parent company of Jack Frost sugar) and it floundered for several years under horrible management until they folded. At the end, with attendance around 1,000 per game, they took to playing games elsewhere. The played a game in Uniontown, and another in Connellsville. their last game as the Pittsburgh Condors was actually played in Tuscon, Arizona! Look up the Pipers on wikipedia, it is an interesting read.
At time, the Pirates were contenders, led by Clemente, Stargell, Maz, et al, and the Steelers were starting to build their dynasty. Fans also had a new sports team, the Penguins, and the entertainment dollars could only spread so far, as the work environment was slowly degrading with the mills and other related industries starting to struggle and shutting down.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Javy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:04 pm
Doc wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:23 pm

We only need to look back to the Pittsburgh Pipers in the old ABA to realize the Burgh isn't a basketball town. They were the first ABA champion, not well attended, and Gabe Rubin moved the team to Minnesota for a year. They flopped there, and he brought the team back to Pittsburgh, changed the name to the Condors, and created an even worse situation. Fans were not into basketball, they had an an unscrupulous owner, and a roster that wasn't built to win, having allowed their biggest star (Connie Hawkins) to leave (sound familiar??). The team was sold to even worse owners and it floundered for several years until they folded. Look up the Pipers on wikipedia, it is an interesting read.
At time, the Pirates were contenders, led by Clemente, Stargell, Maz, et al, and the Steelers were starting to build their dynasty. Fans also had a new sports team, the Penguins, and the entertainment dollars could only spread so far, as the work environment was slowly degrading with the mills and other related industries starting to struggle and shutting down.
Good synopsis, Javy. In high school, we used to go to a couple of Condors games each year and mostly had the Arena to ourselves. The games seemed wildly played, like playground games. It was a fun night for knuckleheaded teenagers who got in for about $2 but, looking at it from an adult's perspective now, it wouldn't be a way I would've wanted to spend my entertainment dollars.