Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upcoming Rule 5 Draft (Read 3512 times)
UtahPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Upcoming Rule 5 Draft
Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
MaineBucs wrote on Sep 12th, 2022 at 6:24pm:
Thanks for the BC comments.  Very encouraging to read the comment about Endy Rodriguez.   A ball, to AA, to the majors in one year, even if it would be for a cup of coffee. 

And while I know that they are running out of roster spots at the major league level, I see that Madris wasn't on his list of call-ups he mentioned.  Madris is not yet too old, but he is older than many of the current rookies on the team.   

Madris DFA'd, Ortiz added.

Kind of surprised as Madris has been pretty hot again at AAA lately. But Mitchell seems to have figured something out, so maybe we figure we have enough OFers. Can't imagine that someone won't grab Madris.

IP Logged

Osushawn

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
UtahPirate wrote on Sep 13th, 2022 at 2:42pm:
MaineBucs wrote on Sep 12th, 2022 at 6:24pm:
Thanks for the BC comments.  Very encouraging to read the comment about Endy Rodriguez.   A ball, to AA, to the majors in one year, even if it would be for a cup of coffee. 

And while I know that they are running out of roster spots at the major league level, I see that Madris wasn't on his list of call-ups he mentioned.  Madris is not yet too old, but he is older than many of the current rookies on the team.   

Madris DFA'd, Ortiz added.

Kind of surprised as Madris has been pretty hot again at AAA lately. But Mitchell seems to have figured something out, so maybe we figure we have enough OFers. Can't imagine that someone won't grab Madris.

I would rather they DFA position guys as they are harder to keep on a MLB roster for a year.  You can hide pitchers much easier

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #17 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Sweep Raise it

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #18 - Sep 13th, 2022 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
WildwoodDave 2 wrote on Sep 13th, 2022 at 9:13pm:
Sweep Raise it

How bout that Underwood!!

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #19 - Sep 26th, 2022 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Now that Bae and Ortiz are on the roster, the Pirates may only add Rodriguez, Burrows, Sabol, and Nunez when they need to set their roster for the Rule 5 Draft.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #20 - Sep 26th, 2022 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
fjk090852-7 wrote on Sep 26th, 2022 at 2:43pm:
Now that Bae and Ortiz are on the roster, the Pirates may only add Rodriguez, Burrows, Sabol, and Nunez when they need to set their roster for the Rule 5 Draft.

I think the 6 on 60 day IL will have to be considered.  Perez might be a free agent after end of year so they could let him go or not sign him until after the draft.
Cedarlind may be iffy depending on his health.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #21 - Sep 26th, 2022 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Ecbucs wrote on Sep 26th, 2022 at 4:56pm:
fjk090852-7 wrote on Sep 26th, 2022 at 2:43pm:

I think the 6 on 60 day IL will have to be considered.  Perez might be a free agent after end of year so they could let him go or not sign him until after the draft.
Cedarlind may be iffy depending on his health.

Several of the players on the 60 day IL need to be added to the roster, but I still think there are enough fringe players who will be released at the end of the season to make room for some of the 60 day IL players, and to add a few rookies to protect from Rule 5 Draft.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #22 - Nov 9th, 2022 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Next Tuesday is the date teams must add players to their 40 man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft in December. Tomorrow the Bucs must add 5 players on the 60 Day IL to the roster. The roster is currently at 40 players, so due to both these player dates, I am going to assume 8 to 10 players currently on the 40 man roster will have to be removed in order to add the players from the IL, and those to protect from the Rule 5 Draft.

IP Logged

3pirates3

Reply #23 - Nov 11th, 2022 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
"Cherington said that the Pirates are still working through who they will protect in the Rule 5 Draft, adding that the team will be protecting a 'handful.'" - delos Santos

https://twitter.com/justdelossantos/status/1591138514326138886

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #24 - Nov 11th, 2022 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
3pirates3 wrote on Nov 11th, 2022 at 5:07pm:
"Cherington said that the Pirates are still working through who they will protect in the Rule 5 Draft, adding that the team will be protecting a 'handful.'" - delos Santos

https://twitter.com/justdelossantos/status/1591138514326138886

That’s a very interesting comment. Maybe players like Sabol ,Gorski and Flowers will be protected as well as Endy, Burrows and Nunez.

IP Logged

3pirates3

Reply #25 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
"We have added RHP Mike Burrows, C Endy Rodriguez, RHP Colin Selby and INF/OF Jared Triolo to the 40-man roster.

To make room on the 40-man roster, C Tyler Heineman, RHP Jeremy Beasley, RHP Junior Fernandez and LHP Manny Bañuelos have been designated for assignment." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1592659636741513217

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #26 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
3pirates3 wrote on Nov 15th, 2022 at 6:41pm:
"We have added RHP Mike Burrows, C Endy Rodriguez, RHP Colin Selby and INF/OF Jared Triolo to the 40-man roster.

To make room on the 40-man roster, C Tyler Heineman, RHP Jeremy Beasley, RHP Junior Fernandez and LHP Manny Bañuelos have been designated for assignment." - Pirates

https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/1592659636741513217

I am surprised Nunez, Sabol, and Gorski were not protected. I thought Nunez would be protected because he was part of the Quintana trade. We will see what happens in December at the Rule 5 Draft.

IP Logged

MaineBucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #27 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
I too am surprised about not including Nunez on the list of protected players.  I have never seen him play, but he appeared to post good numbers in the minors this year.

I am surprised that BC chose to hang onto Park, who appears to be a redundancy in the organization (middle infielder who doesn't hit all that well and having Newman, Castro, Bae, Marcano, and Cruz available with Peguero and Gonzalez likely not that far away), rather than protecting someone like Nunez, Gorski, and Sabol who appear to have some power.   

Continuing, perhaps Choi will be a good addition, but he appears to have mediocrity stamped on his forehead.  I want to win at the major league level as much as anyone else, but I would rather give a shot to someone like Andujar or Mitchell at first than giving time to a 1 year player with a .730 or so OPS.   Perhaps Choi's spot could have gone to protecting another player. 

And, with Heineman now designated, the Bucs essentially have no catchers with major league experience on the roster.  Looks like lots of roster turn-over yet to come, particularly if the Pirates make a pick in the Rule 5 draft.

IP Logged

UtahPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #28 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
MaineBucs wrote on Nov 15th, 2022 at 8:00pm:
I too am surprised about not including Nunez on the list of protected players.  I have never seen him play, but he appeared to post good numbers in the minors this year.

I am surprised that BC chose to hang onto Park, who appears to be a redundancy in the organization (middle infielder who doesn't hit all that well and having Newman, Castro, Bae, Marcano, and Cruz available with Peguero and Gonzalez likely not that far away), rather than protecting someone like Nunez, Gorski, and Sabol who appear to have some power.   

Continuing, perhaps Choi will be a good addition, but he appears to have mediocrity stamped on his forehead.  I want to win at the major league level as much as anyone else, but I would rather give a shot to someone like Andujar or Mitchell at first than giving time to a 1 year player with a .730 or so OPS.   Perhaps Choi's spot could have gone to protecting another player. 

And, with Heineman now designated, the Bucs essentially have no catchers with major league experience on the roster.  Looks like lots of roster turn-over yet to come, particularly if the Pirates make a pick in the Rule 5 draft.       

There are several pitchers that seem to be easy subtractions - Ramirez and Underwood being two. And I don't get the addition of Vilade from Colorado. He seems like an easy subtraction (along with Park). The point being if we lose anyone it will seem pretty Littlefield to me. And even losing them for part of the season always seems to hold up their growth.

It's all strategy that I don't completely understand. But honestly, no excuse to take a chance with Nunez - or Thomas or Gorski either.

IP Logged

MaineBucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #29 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Geez, completely forgot about the addition of Vilade.  I thought they acquired him so they could DFA him and hope that he passes through waivers.

My other comment.  These moves - designating some players and adding others is not about the money/payroll.  These are talent evaluation issues.  I sure hope that BC and his staff evaluated well.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint