Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Upcoming Rule 5 Draft (Read 3514 times)
fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft
Sep 12th, 2022 at 10:10am
Print Post  
The Pirates are about two months away from setting their roster prior to the December Rule 5 Draft. There are several players who are eligible to be added to the roster this offseason, but there  is probably not room for all of them. Players such as E. Rodriguez, Bae,and Burrows  are probably locks to be added. Players like, Nunez, Sabol, Gorski, and Triolo are other players to consider. It appears Luis Ortiz is joining the club in Cincinnati so he will already be on the roster in November. Some difficult decisions will have to be made by BC and his staff this offseason because we will probably lose a player or two in the draft, and hopefully we won’t look back, and say we once had that player in our System.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Upcoming Rule 5 Draft
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
I don't see the 40 man being a problem this off season.  Look at all the players on it that the Bucs got off waivers.

They may have a couple people who are left off and get picked but chances are they are going to be more filler type players than ever be major league regulars.

Here are some pitchers that most likely wouldn't be missed if their spots are needed:

Jeremy Beasley
Tyler Beede
Dillon Peters
Peter Solomon
Robert Stephenson
Eric Stout
Bryse Wilson

other pitchers
Max Kranick
Zach Thompson
Duane Underwood
Nick Mears

catchers who could lose roster spots

Zach Collins
Tyler Heineman

infielders

Hoy Park

maybe Castillo

outfielders

Greg Allen
Ben Gamel (by free agency)

depending on what the team thinks of them

Bligh Madris
Travis Swaggerty I think both will have roster spots this off season and get a chance next year.

The Bucs can probably get 10 roster spots painlessly.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2022 at 12:39pm by Ecbucs »  

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
I think if Bae was ever going to be on the MLB roster it would have happened this year. Most likely, his domestic violence baggage has made him persona non grata and he will not be protected.

Currently on the roster, Allen, Park, Ramirez, Stephenson, Beede, Underwood and either catcher could be DFA'd without batting an eye. Those wouldn't even be tough decisions.

There is no Choi in Mudville.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
There are several players who could easily be removed from the 40 man roster, but there are a few guys on the 60 day IL which must be added back onto the roster shortly after the season is over.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on Sep 12th, 2022 at 12:38pm:
I think if Bae was ever going to be on the MLB roster it would have happened this year. Most likely, his domestic violence baggage has made him persona non grata and he will not be protected.

Currently on the roster, Allen, Park, Ramirez, Stephenson, Beede, Underwood and either catcher could be DFA'd without batting an eye. Those wouldn't even be tough decisions.

I understand the baggage for Bae, but rather him being taken in the Rule 5 Draft I wish they could trade him. You would think he would bring something back in a trade.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
fjk090852-7 wrote on Sep 12th, 2022 at 1:02pm:

I understand the baggage for Bae, but rather him being taken in the Rule 5 Draft I wish they could trade him. You would think he would bring something back in a trade.

Wouldn't surprise me if they have already been trying to trade him. Barring that, they may hope to lose him in rule 5.

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 1:40pm
Print Post  

I wish they would bring back JVM for one day so they could DFA
him again Cheesy

IP Logged

MaineBucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Bobster

Bae's conviction on assault charges are now 4+ years ago and his conviction and 30 game suspension from baseball is now 3+ years ago.  I see where the Pirates initially signed him to a $1.2 million bonus, but that too is now almost ancient history.

Question --- If the Bucs are not interested in him because of his past assault conviction, why do you believe they have kept him around for another 3+ years? 

Regardless, I do agree that it seems odd that he has not been recalled this year based on his production at AAA and his ability to play the outfield (I recognize that he was injured for a while in August).

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
MaineBucs wrote on Sep 12th, 2022 at 2:18pm:
Bobster

Bae's conviction on assault charges are now 4+ years ago and his conviction and 30 game suspension from baseball is now 3+ years ago.  I see where the Pirates initially signed him to a $1.2 million bonus, but that too is now almost ancient history.

Question --- If the Bucs are not interested in him because of his past assault conviction, why do you believe they have kept him around for another 3+ years? 

Regardless, I do agree that it seems odd that he has not been recalled this year based on his production at AAA and his ability to play the outfield (I recognize that he was injured for a while in August).

I think Atlanta paid Bae's bonus and the Bucs picked him up after he was released because of the domestic violence charge.  That being said, unless he has done something else, I can't see the Pirates leaving him off the roster this winter.

IP Logged

UtahPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Bobster

So an 18-year old who has grown up in a culture that has domestic abuse problems and history of extreme gender inequality issues can't be forgiven - or counseled - by his organization and be rehabilitated?

I don't get the view here about this charge lingering and affecting his reputation. This is not some 28 year old NFL lineman with domestic abuse problems. He was a kid and from any indications has acted properly ever since he was sentenced.

Perhaps the non-40 man move so far is part of his counseling program and an effort to keep him working towards certain goals and "in a straight line." He seems to be wearing down a bit, but he has hardly thrown in the towel because he hasn't been called up.

I would be hugely disappointed if the actions of an 18 year old would keep him off our roster 4 years later.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2022 at 5:25pm by UtahPirate »  

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Ecbucs wrote on Sep 12th, 2022 at 3:18pm:
Bobster

I think Atlanta paid Bae's bonus and the Bucs picked him up after he was released because of the domestic violence charge.  That being said, unless he has done something else, I can't see the Pirates leaving him off the roster this winter.

The info I see is that Bae's contract (among others) with Atlanta was voided due to the Braves GM violating international signing rules. Huntington then gave Bae a 1.25 million signing bonus. A year later, his domestic violence charge in South Korea was learned and he was suspended for 30 days in April 2019 while playing for Greensboro. He ended up having an outstanding year for Greensboro but before Huntington could decide what, if anything, to do about Bae, Huntington was fired in October 2019.

Cherington inherited Bae but it was a moot point in 2020 with the minor leagues inactive that year. Bae remained in the org and had fine years for Altoona in 2021 and at Indy this year. But BC must know that promoting Bae to MLB will cause some PR problems but also knows Bae has talent and Nutting paid a 1.25M bonus for him. With all the prospects being given a chance this year while Bae has excelled at AAA, it seems as if BC is conflicted and is avoiding a promotion of Bae to MLB regardless of how he performs at AAA. I don't see why the situation would be any different next year. But if they release him for the reason of the domestic abuse charges, there will still be PR problems as they will be asked why they kept him in the org the past 2 years after the charges were known if they felt the charges justified a release. The easiest solution for the Pirates might be to trade him or leave him unprotected and hope he gets selected in rule 5.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21506598/ex-atlanta-braves-gm-john-coppolell...
https://www.milb.com/news/pittsburgh-pirates-ji-hwan-bae-suspended-30-games-3063...

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on Sep 12th, 2022 at 4:13pm:
Ecbucs wrote on Sep 12th, 2022 at 3:18pm:
Bobster

The info I see is that Bae's contract (among others) with Atlanta was voided due to the Braves GM violating international signing rules. Huntington then gave Bae a 1.25 million signing bonus. A year later, his domestic violence charge in South Korea was learned and he was suspended for 30 days in April 2019 while playing for Greensboro. He ended up having an outstanding year for Greensboro but before Huntington could decide what, if anything, to do about Bae, Huntington was fired in October 2019.

Cherington inherited Bae but it was a moot point in 2020 with the minor leagues inactive that year. Bae remained in the org and had fine years for Altoona in 2021 and at Indy this year. But BC must know that promoting Bae to MLB will cause some PR problems but also knows Bae has talent and Nutting paid a 1.25M bonus for him. With all the prospects being given a chance this year while Bae has excelled at AAA, it seems as if BC is conflicted and is avoiding a promotion of Bae to MLB regardless of how he performs at AAA. I don't see why the situation would be any different next year. But if they release him for the reason of the domestic abuse charges, there will still be PR problems as they will be asked why they kept him in the org the past 2 years after the charges were known if they felt the charges justified a release. The easiest solution for the Pirates might be to trade him or leave him unprotected and hope he gets selected in rule 5.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21506598/ex-atlanta-braves-gm-john-coppolell...
https://www.milb.com/news/pittsburgh-pirates-ji-hwan-bae-suspended-30-games-3063...

thanks,  I was definitely mixed up and didn't realize the Pirates had paid him such a large bonus, I figured the Pirates were just his favorite team. I hope the Bucs don't deal him or let him go in rule 5 draft for PR reasons.  They have treated him like a prospect the past two years under Ben.   The following was in Tribune Review article today:  he latter will continue with call-ups in September and early October, Cherington said, as the Pirates plan to take a look at prospects as they consider which ones to keep on the 40-man roster this offseason.

One of them is likely to be 23-year-old right-handed pitcher Luis Ortiz, who is expected to make his major league debut in one of Tuesday’s doubleheaders at Cincinnati. The 6-foot-2, 240-pounder from the Dominican Republic, ranked their No. 30 prospect by MLB Pipeline, tossed six no-hit innings and had nine strikeouts but allowed two runs and three walks for Triple-A Indianapolis in a 5-4 loss to Omaha on Thursday.

Where that move is made out of necessity, Cherington said the rest will be determined on a “case-by-case” basis. Other candidates include infielder Ji-hwan Bae and outfielder Travis Swaggerty, although Cherington could reward a prospect having a strong season like Double-A catcher/outfielder Endy Rodriguez the way he did last October with the major league debuts of Roansy Contreras and Oneil Cruz. Cherington and his baseball operations staff continue to evaluate which players the Pirates will protect from the Rule 5 Draft. https://triblive.com/sports/gm-ben-cherington-focused-on-making-the-pirates-bett
er-this-offseason/

IP Logged

MaineBucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the BC comments.  Very encouraging to read the comment about Endy Rodriguez.   A ball, to AA, to the majors in one year, even if it would be for a cup of coffee. 

And while I know that they are running out of roster spots at the major league level, I see that Madris wasn't on his list of call-ups he mentioned.  Madris is not yet too old, but he is older than many of the current rookies on the team.

IP Logged

gileszee

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
If Bae can play, he should be brought up to Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh sports have had quite a few non angels amongst their midst over the years.  One is going to the football HOF in 5 years.  The Pirates need talent at the ML level.  The kid f**ked up and was wrong for what he did, 100%.  He paid for his transgressions.  He should be brought up, now, to at least see what he can do.  But like most things about this management team, they will most likely screw this up.

IP Logged

Babe Adams
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2022 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
I've been wondering if they'll bring Bae up at the very end of the season. That's what they did Jung Ho Kang a few years ago - brought him up in the last week, on the road, when no one is paying attention. Then next spring he's old news.

"From here on in, I rag nobody" - Henry Wiggen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint