Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Official Griping About Announcers Thread (Read 2466 times)
Bobster
Global Moderator

Re: Official Griping About Announcers Thread
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2022 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
It appears Neil Walker's indoctrination into the friendly chitchat style of broadcasting is complete. Never let the game get in the way of idle conversation. Joe Block is training him well.

There is no Choi in Mudville.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #16 - May 30th, 2022 at 11:34am
Print Post  
I just realized who Greg Brown reminds me of. Michael Scott of Dunder Mifflin.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #17 - Jun 5th, 2022 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
After 3 unbearable innings of Joe Block's incessant chatting, I switched to the radio and was pleasantly surprised to hear Brown and Walk to a very good, very professional job. They focused on the game and had none of the annoying attempts at comedy or running gags that they routinely do when they are the TV crew. They are more than capable of providing good broadcasts but seem to want to be the entertainment (as opposed to the game being the entertainment) when they are on TV. I wish they would carry over their radio style to TV.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2022 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
It finally occurred to me why Greg Brown changed over the past few years from good PBP guy to always trying to be funny to entertain the audience. Brown loved working with Steve Blass. Blass is quick, witty, clever and a naturally funny guy. Since Blass retired from the booth, Brown has always tried to be funny. But he's not clever and witty like Blass. Brown tries too hard to be entertaining and is constantly laughing at his own comments (and seems to be the only one). Blass was an entertaining guy to have in the booth. But Brown trying to replace that is like a square peg in a round hole. Brown's forte is PBP, not comedy. 

IP Logged

GreenWeenie
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2022 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Comedy or not, I don't like listening to Brown calling games.  After games; before games, OK.  I like him then.  During games, I check off.  Not my cup of tea.

Nutting, Cherington, Shelton.

Serious Baseball.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2022 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
GreenWeenie wrote on Jun 10th, 2022 at 9:21pm:
Comedy or not, I don't like listening to Brown calling games.  After games; before games, OK.  I like him then.  During games, I check off.  Not my cup of tea.

I've never liked his obsession with nicknames and catch phrases. I think he's fine describing the action in the game but these days he does less of that so that he can be on camera nearly every inning to "entertain" us.

IP Logged

GreenWeenie
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2022 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Bingo....and, double bingo!

Not every game is Game 7 of the WS.

In my home region, we Pirates fans know a thing or two about home runs.

Not every home run is the most recent Mazeroski-equivalent.

I have no problem with being exciting....or, being excited.  But, for heaven's sake.....Calm Down Brown!

Serious Baseball.

IP Logged

Surgnbuck
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2022 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
It is quite a stark contrast watching other teams broadcasts on mlb tv, in how little the booth announcers are shown during the game. Not that other teams announcers also don't go off on tangents, and try entertaining with witty reparte.

Really liked the Cards announcing crew last night.

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your time here on earth."  Muhammed Ali

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #23 - Jun 16th, 2022 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Surgnbuck wrote on Jun 16th, 2022 at 2:51pm:
It is quite a stark contrast watching other teams broadcasts on mlb tv, in how little the booth announcers are shown during the game. Not that other teams announcers also don't go off on tangents, and try entertaining with witty reparte.

Really liked the Cards announcing crew last night.

I noticed that too. Other broadcasters are rarely seen. There seems to be a stationary camera in the Pirates booth. Always the same angle (nearest the analyst). I wonder who makes the decision when to show the announcers. They are usually on camera at least once an inning. Often just to show them while they talk to each other rather than because they have something to show to the camera.

It appears AT&T SportsNet sees the game production as a "total entertainment package." They want the game of course but they also want the announcers to be personalities doing funny bits with each other, often a segment with Robbie visiting the booth with food for them to talk about, and in-game clinics with McKenry.

I think AT&T SportsNet also does the Astros. I should tune in and see if this a formula they use there too.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #24 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 5:33am
Print Post  
Greg Brown, the master of comedy, seems to think he's found comedic gold in the name "Bligh." As a nickname on a Pirates team, "Captain Bligh" is fine. Leave it at that. We don't need "blighmey" or "unblighlievable" accompanied by his own laughter as though Brown just can't stop himself from being so freaking hilarious.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #25 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Just read that Peacock will stream the July 3rd. game between
the Royals and Tigers WITHOUT ANNOUNCERS . They plan on having reporters take fans around the ballpark and view the game
from different vantage points. The producer, Sam Flood said, " the whole idea of this is to treat the game completely different. We are going to take you out to the ballpark"
Hmmm- watch out Mr. Brown!!

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #26 - Jul 22nd, 2022 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
It's very distracting to watch a game when Joe Block announces. He feels he has to talk continuously throughout the game, which results in him spending the majority of the game talking about things not related to the game being played in front of him. When a ball is put in play, he interrupts whatever his current topic is to describe the action and then immediately goes back to his non-game related topic. As a viewer, you either have to tune out Block to focus on the game, or else spend the game focused on Block's ramblings with brief interludes to describe the game.

IP Logged

GreenWeenie
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #27 - Aug 18th, 2022 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
After listening to the home team last night, I see what you mean.

I agree that Block would benefit from more pausing.

Case in point was toward the end of the game.  Walk explained how, with such a large lead, the Red Sox didn't need to focus on throwing a Pirate out at home plate; all that was needed is to get the third out before the tying run came up to bat.  Getting the guy out at home plate or any other base didn't matter until then.

I thought that Bob did a fine job with that explanation.  Listeners should've gotten it by that alone.

A few words from Block weren't necessary at that point (my opinion.)

That said, I don't find him annoying as often as I do Brown.  I think that Block has a pleasant voice.  Brown probably does, too, until he makes an ordinary home run out to be a WS Game 7, extra inning grand slam. 

I can overlook a lot of the "outside" stuff because most of the time, I concentrate on what announcers say about the plays.  I tune a lot of the other stuff out. 

Bottom line- more pausing would help, IMO.  Less is sometimes more.

Serious Baseball.

IP Logged

Surgnbuck
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #28 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
You know, I would support Bob Costas for MLB Commish. IDK who, when, why, where, how this guy ever became considered a great announcer.  What am I missing? He is the most annoying, pompous, smarmy announcer ever to sit in a booth for big games.

And people think Joe Buck is terrible? Costas has him by at least two lengths.

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your time here on earth."  Muhammed Ali

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint