Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Official 2022 Pirates Owner/Front Office Bitching Thread (Read 5595 times)
Bobster
Global Moderator

Re: Official 2022 Pirates Owner/Front Office Bitching Thread
Reply #45 - Aug 26th, 2022 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
GreenWeenie wrote on Aug 26th, 2022 at 7:30pm:
Every team will always have VanMeters.  Some, more than others, and more often.  Varying degrees..  It's just the way it is.

I bet we could look at 30 rosters and create a list.

We have the real deal.

Players like that don't usually last on the roster the entire season. And the Pirates are looking for playing time for prospects. But VanMeter blocks them in order to be and automatic out and be poor defensively. There's no way to make his presence on the team seem normal. 

There is no Choi in Mudville.

IP Logged

GreenWeenie
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #46 - Aug 26th, 2022 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Agree with all.

I dont understand the "why," but there are a lot of things I don't understand.

Nutting, Cherington, Shelton.

Serious Baseball.

IP Logged

German Township

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #47 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 7:20am
Print Post  
The Pirates are nothing but a JOKE! The problems begin at the top (Nutting), and now, Cherrington. With the current 2022 season turning into another disaster, lo and behold, the g.m. tells us that Shelton is coming back next year. WOW! Yet, people will continue to put their money in Nutting’s pockets by attending games. Does anybody realistically believe that this team (?) will get better next year? I have, in my own way of protesting the ownership, have cancelled my subscription to watch them.I did this three years ago. And, please don’t tell me that those that attend, in person, games, that they enjoy watching them, or seeing the other teams that come in. Nutting does not care how people feel about him in regard for how he conducts his various other businesses that he owns or has owned. He has run them into the ground.

IP Logged

GreenWeenie
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #48 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 7:40am
Print Post  
It turned into a disaster a few seasons ago. 

Face it, we had some good seasons, but we had 20 disastrous years before that.  So, it's a lot less common when things are good.

They have folks sold on what they're doing.

I don't know what next year calls for.  I always look for improvement and hope that the folks in charge make the legitimate steps for it.

Serious Baseball.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #49 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 8:53am
Print Post  
GreenWeenie wrote on Aug 27th, 2022 at 7:40am:
It turned into a disaster a few seasons ago. 

Face it, we had some good seasons, but we had 20 disastrous years before that.  So, it's a lot less common when things are good.

They have folks sold on what they're doing.

I don't know what next year calls for.  I always look for improvement and hope that the folks in charge make the legitimate steps for it.

If they do, I think it's a pretty small group. I think in general, fans are very frustrated and want the team to become good but are skeptical. Most of us are lifelong fans of the team and have to deal with the reality of how things are. Nutting is not going to open the checkbook and bring in a bunch of productive veterans. Anyone who is sold on the idea of that ever happening is dreaming. The organization was going downhill under NH after 2015 and he was replaced. BC started with little in the minors during a season in which the minors didn't even play so the reality is that even a successful plan will take a few years. So all we can do is hope BC's plan works. That's very different from "being sold" on the idea that it is definitely going to work. 

At this point I'm becoming more and more skeptical. Obviously I want the rebuild to succeed because that's the course they are embarked on. But none of the players who moved up to the MLB roster this season have impressed. Most are lost at the plate. Castro seems to be a headcase. There is no consistency by the starting pitchers. The totality of the manager's decisions provides compelling evidence that he is grossly incompetent to run an MLB team. His 3B coach appears unfit for his job. It's hard to believe they even have a hitting coach. Few pitchers have progressed as hoped. And players in the field appear unsure of what they should be doing. And there is very little at AAA this year. And now we've been assured that Shelton will return next year. As if things weren't already bad enough.

But I think Pirate fans these days pay a lot of attention to the minor league players. We don't accept at face value that the team will be rebuilt into a strong team in a few years. If that's the spin the team is selling, then we want to see the evidence. We look at prospect rankings, their minor league performance and their injuries. We have every right to be critical and skeptical until things change at the MLB level, if they ever do. So I don't think they have fans sold on what they are doing. Rather, they have fans who understand what they are doing and are watching very carefully for signs of success or failure. So far, it's not looking good.

IP Logged

GreenWeenie
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #50 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Hogwash.  Can't say that strongly enough.  Nonsense.  Sell that to somebody else.

How many times have you and I read- on this message board alone- "Play The Kids"?

This is what we get when we play the kids.

All the crowing about drafting and developing.

Guys like me being criticized for "Not giving them a chance."

Tunes are changing now.

Serious Baseball.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #51 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 9:17am
Print Post  
GreenWeenie wrote on Aug 27th, 2022 at 9:01am:
Hogwash.  Can't say that strongly enough.  Nonsense.  Sell that to somebody else.

How many times have you and I read- on this message board alone- "Play The Kids"?

This is what we get when we play the kids.

All the crowing about drafting and developing.

Guys like me being criticized for "Not giving them a chance."

Tunes are changing now.

Of course they should play the kids. That's, the course they are on. We don't know if it will work or not unless they play the kids. Your issue seems to be that it is wrong to attempt a rebuild, which only leaves the method of Nutting spending a lot of money on free agents or trading for productive players with huge contracts. That would be great in a fairy tale world where Nutting is not Nutting. So all we are left with is the hope that the rebuild--which they are currently embarked upon--will work better than an alternative universe idea that Nutting will open the checkbook and pigs will fly. Now that's hogwash! And I can't say it strongly enough.

IP Logged

GreenWeenie
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #52 - Aug 27th, 2022 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Of course, they should get guys who are bonafide, legitimate, authentic MLB players.  Then, we might win some games.

Serious Baseball.

IP Logged

Doc
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #53 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Watching the Pirates Hall of Fame ceremonies this morning had me thinking of all the baseball fans around the country who are under 30 years of age.  How many of them were smirking, or even laughing, at the idea of the Pirates having players who were Hall of Fame material?  What they've seen in their lifetime has been an organization that's been mostly pathetic, top to bottom, in every way.

The men inducted yesterday deserve better from those who are unfamiliar with the greatness this organization was prior to 1992.  There were certainly bad periods in Pirates history before that, but there were also five championships and some of the greatest teams in the game's history.  However, for younger people today, who don't know the past, they only know a franchise that's been the opposite.

We need lots of change from lots of places.

IP Logged

bucs607179

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #54 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Doc wrote on Sep 4th, 2022 at 6:47am:
Watching the Pirates Hall of Fame ceremonies this morning had me thinking of all the baseball fans around the country who are under 30 years of age.  How many of them were smirking, or even laughing, at the idea of the Pirates having players who were Hall of Fame material?  What they've seen in their lifetime has been an organization that's been mostly pathetic, top to bottom, in every way.

The men inducted yesterday deserve better from those who are unfamiliar with the greatness this organization was prior to 1992.  There were certainly bad periods in Pirates history before that, but there were also five championships and some of the greatest teams in the game's history.  However, for younger people today, who don't know the past, they only know a franchise that's been the opposite.

Glad The Cobra got in. Not sure about this but I think he was involved in the drug trade or at least there were rumors. I always thought the guy should have made it and wonder if any off field activities hindered that in the past?????

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #55 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 10:50am
Print Post  
bucs607179 wrote on Sep 5th, 2022 at 10:42am:

Glad The Cobra got in. Not sure about this but I think he was involved in the drug trade or at least there were rumors. I always thought the guy should have made it and wonder if any off field activities hindered that in the past?????

There is no doubt

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #56 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 10:52am
Print Post  

We only need one major change besides firing Shelton.
SELL SELL SELL

IP Logged

MaineBucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #57 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 11:15am
Print Post  
It was good to see the creation of the Pirates HOF and to see Dave Parker back in Pittsburgh.  Parker was a hell of a ballplayer and did honor to Pittsburgh by having another all-star in RF after Clemente.

In watching portions of the ceremony, I found it really sad that all too many of the fans in the stadium could have given a rats ass regarding the induction of so many Pirate greats.  No, I am not dissing the Pirate fans in attendance, I am commenting on how many of the prime seats were occupied by Blue Jay fans who have no connection to Pittsburgh.  Toronto is only 320 miles or so from Pittsburgh, a reasonable drive, so I do not begrudge their fans from coming to Pittsburgh and cheering on their team that is in play-off contention.

What is sad (anger may be a better word) is that Nutting made money off of the many Blue Jay fans, and that the Pirate team on the field looks so far away from potential play-off contention (or even winning baseball) that I'm not sure I will ever experience such again.   

The Pirate team on the field has often been pathetic, but Nutting has benefited from the Bucs having a number of home games against other teams in the general area who are having a good or decent season.  When the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Mets, Orioles, and now the Jays have been in Pittsburgh, their fans came to PNC, and they cheered for their team.  Even though their teams are out of contention, the Cubs and Reds also brought out some fans to Pittsburgh.

There is a lot wrong with the Pirates, but Nutting as the owner is so bad that we may need to start looking at Kevin McCarthy as being the good old days, which is another really sad comment.

IP Logged

GreenWeenie
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #58 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
McClatchy's teams never had a winning season.

Serious Baseball.

IP Logged

MaineBucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #59 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I am all too aware that McClatchy's teams never had a winning season. 

Guess I should have made more of a sarcastic reference to my last couple of words about that being another sad comment.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Send TopicPrint