Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Minor Leagues - 2023 Thread (Read 12089 times)
Surgnbuck
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Minor Leagues - 2022 Thread
Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2022 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Cruz walk off 2 run HR bottom 11 today. Mason Martin continues to rip it.

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your time here on earth."  Muhammed Ali

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #16 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Tough night for Cruz. An 0 for 5 with 4 strikeouts.  He has really struggled so far this year at Indy.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #17 - May 3rd, 2022 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
It is only early May, but I am beginning to have concerns with Cruz and Gonzales. Both are supposed to be two of the Pirates top prospects, and both continue to struggle. Gonzales is playing this afternoon in Erie and has another strikeout. I know the draft is a crapshoot, but the Pirates cannot continue to miss on their number 1 picks. Newman, Cole and Swaggerty were all high picks and so far Newman has been okay, nothing special. When they drafted Gonzales  I thought they got a solid hitter, but now I am having doubts. Cruz at Indy still only has one homer, and his average is near the Mendoza line. I hope these two players soon find their swing, and begin to hit consistently.

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #18 - May 3rd, 2022 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
fjk090852-7 wrote on May 3rd, 2022 at 1:47pm:
It is only early May, but I am beginning to have concerns with Cruz and Gonzales. Both are supposed to be two of the Pirates top prospects, and both continue to struggle. Gonzales is playing this afternoon in Erie and has another strikeout. I know the draft is a crapshoot, but the Pirates cannot continue to miss on their number 1 picks. Newman, Cole and Swaggerty were all high picks and so far Newman has been okay, nothing special. When they drafted Gonzales  I thought they got a solid hitter, but now I am having doubts. Cruz at Indy still only has one homer, and his average is near the Mendoza line. I hope these two players soon find their swing, and begin to hit consistently.

Please, we don't need anymore bad news Cry

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #19 - May 3rd, 2022 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
WildwoodDave 2 wrote on May 3rd, 2022 at 2:09pm:

Please, we don't need anymore bad news Cry

Sorry I was just stating facts. On the flip side Peguero is doing very well at Altoona. More reason for Cruz to work in the outfield, because Peguero looks like a keeper for shortstop.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #20 - May 3rd, 2022 at 5:27pm
Print Post  

It's all small sample sizes at this point. But over the past week, Gonzales is hitting .273.

There is no Choi in Mudville.

IP Logged

dave3BA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #21 - May 4th, 2022 at 6:30am
Print Post  
I was at the game in Erie yesterday afternoon. Gonzales' strikeout was not real concerning. Check swing strike, then an outside pitch called, and a check swing for the out. He seemed to be trying to be more aggressive (criticism has been he's been a little patient). He would have had a homerun had he hit the ball 10 feet toward center, but instead it hit off the wall for a double.

As you might expect, Peguero looks like a major leaguer. Burrows looked ok. Didn't seem to have much of a third pitch. The curveball was tough to hit.

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #22 - May 4th, 2022 at 8:14am
Print Post  
dave3BA wrote on May 4th, 2022 at 6:30am:
I was at the game in Erie yesterday afternoon. Gonzales' strikeout was not real concerning. Check swing strike, then an outside pitch called, and a check swing for the out. He seemed to be trying to be more aggressive (criticism has been he's been a little patient). He would have had a homerun had he hit the ball 10 feet toward center, but instead it hit off the wall for a double.

As you might expect, Peguero looks like a major leaguer. Burrows looked ok. Didn't seem to have much of a third pitch. The curveball was tough to hit.

Thanks for the update

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #23 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Cruz is now down to .159 at Indy. That's a shame because the Pirates really need an influx of hitters to replace the deadwood currently on the roster.

Here's some other Indy BAs:
Park .148
Swaggerty .194
Oliva .205
Madris .220
Smith-Njigba .233
Castro .234

Maybe it's time to give Ji-hwan Bae a shot. He's at a modest .269 but plays 2B and hit .323 at Greensboro at .278 at Altoona and can't be worse than VanMeter or Tucker. At least there's a possibility that Bae has a future with the Bucs, which is more than can be said for Tucker and VanMeter.   

Calvin Mitchell is hitting .307 and playing RF for Indy. Maybe Suwinski, who was raking (.353) at Altoona but struggling in MLB, could switch places with Mitchell and get some AAA experience. Releasing Tucker and/or VanMeter would open slots on the 40-man roster for Bae or Mitchell. 

Mason Martin is at .274 with 4 HRs. But after giving Yoshi $4 million I'm sure he'll be given every chance to start hitting before being replaced.

Or, since they brought Suwinski directly from AA, why not do the same with Peguero? He's hitting .346 at Altoona and is a good glove. Probably the SS of the near future for a team that right now is without their SS. And he's already on the 40-man roster. And seeing Peguero playing SS for the Pirates might light a fire under the slumping Cruz, who badly wants that role.

No one expects Tucker or VanMeter to ever become competent hitters. Nor Marisnick, who should be limited to late inning defense and rare starts. I was encouraged that they recalled Suwinski from AA to take a look at him and give him some MLB experience. It's a good idea and needs to be applied to some other prospects as well instead of keeping useless players on the MLB roster.

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #24 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on Apr 7th, 2022 at 1:54pm:
A few notable assignments today:
Henry Davis, Endy Rodriguez to High-A Greensboro.
Nick Gonzales, Quinn Priester, Liover Peguero, Jared Triolo, Matt Frasier, Jack Suwinski and Tucupita Marcano, Mike Burrows, Carmen Mlodzinski and Tahnaj Thomas, Emmanuel Mejia to Altoona.
Oneil Cruz, Roansy Contreras, Mason Martin to AAA.

Altoona looks stacked.

Cruz is currently hitting .159 after 21 games Embarrassed

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #25 - May 5th, 2022 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on May 5th, 2022 at 8:03am:
Cruz is now down to .159 at Indy. That's a shame because the Pirates really need an influx of hitters to replace the deadwood currently on the roster.

Here's some other Indy BAs:
Park .148
Swaggerty .194
Oliva .205
Madris .220
Smith-Njigba .233
Castro .234

Maybe it's time to give Ji-hwan Bae a shot. He's at a modest .269 but plays 2B and hit .323 at Greensboro at .278 at Altoona and can't be worse than VanMeter or Tucker. At least there's a possibility that Bae has a future with the Bucs, which is more than can be said for Tucker and VanMeter.   

Calvin Mitchell is hitting .307 and playing RF for Indy. Maybe Suwinski, who was raking (.353) at Altoona but struggling in MLB, could switch places with Mitchell and get some AAA experience. Releasing Tucker and/or VanMeter would open slots on the 40-man roster for Bae or Mitchell. 

Mason Martin is at .274 with 4 HRs. But after giving Yoshi $4 million I'm sure he'll be given every chance to start hitting before being replaced.

Or, since they brought Suwinski directly from AA, why not do the same with Peguero? He's hitting .346 at Altoona and is a good glove. Probably the SS of the near future for a team that right now is without their SS. And he's already on the 40-man roster. And seeing Peguero playing SS for the Pirates might light a fire under the slumping Cruz, who badly wants that role.

No one expects Tucker or VanMeter to ever become competent hitters. Nor Marisnick, who should be limited to late inning defense and rare starts. I was encouraged that they recalled Suwinski from AA to take a look at him and give him some MLB experience. It's a good idea and needs to be applied to some other prospects as well instead of keeping useless players on the MLB roster.

when the Bucs signed Marisnick, I thought he became the most likely player to be traded this season.  he has value for his defense alone.

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #26 - May 5th, 2022 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Surgnbuck wrote on Apr 24th, 2022 at 7:08pm:
Cruz walk off 2 run HR bottom 11 today. Mason Martin continues to rip it.

Currently, the starting rotation for Indy has a combined ERA of 2.21. This is the lowest in Minor League Baseball

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #27 - May 5th, 2022 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
I am no expert, but I am beginning to wonder if the Bucs farm system is as good as people have said. If there are not a group of young players in the system which can turn the team around, we are looking at several more seasons of losing baseball.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #28 - May 6th, 2022 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Henry Davis might be overqualified or high-A Greensboro. He's hitting .350 with 6 HRs.

IP Logged

WildwoodDave 2
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #29 - May 6th, 2022 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on May 6th, 2022 at 11:27am:
Henry Davis might be overqualified or high-A Greensboro. He's hitting .350 with 6 HRs.

Would you happen to know the catching situation in Altoona?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Send TopicPrint