Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trades made by Pirates in December... (Read 299 times)
icantwatch

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Trades made by Pirates in December...
Reply #15 - yesterday at 8:28am
Print Post  
I'm not really a young man. You could never be my grandpa....only an older brother. I started to follow the Pirates in the summer of '71 as an 8-year old. All I knew was Willie Stargell but a bunch of homers. Milk Duds had pictures of baseball stars on the back of their. Ices that summer.  The featured Pirates was some guy named Roberto Clemente. Who? I thought. Never heard of the guy. Where's Stargell?  By the fall of 1971 I understood why Clemente was featured. From that World Series on I studied box scores and watched any game I could get on channel 2. KDKA.  There weren't many.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #16 - yesterday at 11:36am
Print Post  
Possum wrote yesterday at 7:59am:
icantwatch wrote yesterday at 7:50am:
I was not alive for the '60 series but once was a rabid Pirates fan so I devoured anything written about the Bucs. Mentioning that trade reminds me of a Don Hoak story I once read. YOu know how we were all taught to return to our base and tag it after a foul?  Well, the story suggested that this came about because of Hoak. He was running the bases one day and was on second. The batter lined a foul and Hoak took off. Upon hearing it was foul, he stopped about 5 feet short of third. Ump threw a new ball into play, and they all look at Hoak. Ump says for him to get back to second and Hoak replies "Nah, this is my lead."  The umpires forced him back but no rule really made that necessary so it was added that you had to return to the vicinity of your occupied base. Don't know if it's a true story but it might have captured husband style of play. Ever hear that grandpa...I mean Possum?

'Tis true young man.  And Bobster the absolute expert on the '60 team will back me up.   

As far as I know, that's a true story. Which is why a rule was instituted to ensure play does not begin after a foul ball until the last held base was tagged.

IP Logged

mouse
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #17 - yesterday at 1:25pm
Print Post  
I heard that story as well. I think Bob Prince mentioned it and always understood it to be a true story. I think Prince said the umpires invoked something called the travesty rule which allows them to direct play to avoid any situation that would make a travesty of the game. I understood (or am recalling) it to be between third and home, though. Would be interesting to know if it's a true story.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #18 - yesterday at 1:41pm
Print Post  
mouse wrote yesterday at 1:25pm:
I heard that story as well. I think Bob Prince mentioned it and always understood it to be a true story. I think Prince said the umpires invoked something called the travesty rule which allows them to direct play to avoid any situation that would make a travesty of the game. I understood (or am recalling) it to be between third and home, though. Would be interesting to know if it's a true story.

It was between 2nd and 3rd.

Chime in Bobster, what say ye?

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - yesterday at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Possum wrote yesterday at 1:41pm:
mouse wrote yesterday at 1:25pm:

It was between 2nd and 3rd.

Chime in Bobster, what say ye?

I don't really know, Possum. But he may have tried it more than once and at different bases.  Wink

IP Logged

mouse
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #20 - yesterday at 2:24pm
Print Post  
I'm going by (faulty) memory only. Second to third makes more sense.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint