Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Trades made by Pirates in December... (Read 298 times)
Bucs Fan in GA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Trades made by Pirates in December...
Dec 7th, 2018 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Just wondering how many of us recall a specific baseball trade engineered by our beloved Pittsburgh Pirates?

Beat'em Bucs Cool

YIM  
IP Logged

Bucs Fan in GA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Trades made by Pirates in December...
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 8:13am
Print Post  
I will start the old ball rolling...

Dec 2nd, 1970....Pirates send Catcher-Jerry May, Shortstop-Freddie Patek and Pitcher-Bruce Dal Canton to the Kansas City Royals for Catcher-Jim Campanis, Shortstop-Jackie Hernandez and Pitcher-Bob Johnson Cool

YIM  
IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 10:32am
Print Post  
December 1, 1966. Bob Bailey and Gene Michael to the Dodgers for Maury Wills.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Jim Bunning was acquired in December 1967 for Woodie Fryman, Don Money and Bill Laxton. I liked Bunning but he was past his prime at age 36 and I hated giving up Don Money.

IP Logged

ScottinMass

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:12am
Print Post  
December 1, 2014 -
Pirates sent PTBNL to the Rays for Sean Rodriguez
December 12, 2014 -
Buddy Borden sent to the Rays to complete the trade.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 10:41am:
Jim Bunning was acquired in December 1967 for Woodie Fryman, Don Money and Bill Laxton. I liked Bunning but he was past his prime at age 36 and I hated giving up Don Money. 

So right Bunning was past his prime, Fryman hung around the majors for several more years and was successful, and Money played for Philadelphia and  the Brewers and had a good career.

IP Logged

fjk090852-7
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:29am
Print Post  
In December of 1977 we sent Al Oliver and Nelson Norman to Texas and acquired Bert Blyleven and John Milner. It was a four team trade, and actually Milner came from the Mets.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
fjk090852-7 wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:19am:

So right Bunning was past his prime, Fryman hung around the majors for several more years and was successful, and Money played for Philadelphia and  the Brewers and had a good career.

Fryman hung around for 16 more years. His 2 years as a Pirate were the first 2 of an 18 year career!  Shocked  And Money played 16 years.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
fjk090852-7 wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:19am:

at the time of the deal there was little reason not to think that Bunning had at least one very good year left in him.  He had just completed 4 years of averaging about 290 innings and his highest ERA during those 4 years was 2.63 (as a matter of record his ERA had gone down for 4 straight years).

Bunning was bothered by back problems in 1968.  I don't know if that was an older injury or one that happened with the Bucs.

In 1967 Bunning led the league in games started (40), shut outs (6) and innings (302) and strikeouts (253) and was second in ERA. 

Sure it was unlikely that he was going to pitch well for 3 or 4 more seasons but he certainly seemed like he was capable of one or two more very good seasons.

The Bucs were 9th in attendance in 1968 with less than 700,000 fannies in the stands.  The Bucs finished 17 games back.

I didn't remember how balanced the league was that year.   Houston had worst record with 72 wins. Cards with 97 were only team to win over 90.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
December 11, 1975

Bucs deal Willie Randolph, Ken Brett and Dock Ellis for Doc Medich.

The team's efforts to trade for a big ace failed again.

IP Logged

SammyKhalifa
Global Moderator

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Ecbucs wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 12:49pm:
December 11, 1975

Bucs deal Willie Randolph, Ken Brett and Dock Ellis for Doc Medich.

The team's efforts to trade for a big ace failed again.

That might be one of the worst Pirate trades ever.

IP Logged

Bucs Fan in GA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Another of my favorite trades was Jan 30th, 1959... Pirates sent
Pitcher-Whammy Douglas, OF-3B Jim Pendleton, Of Johnny Powers and 3b,1B, Of Frank "before the The Big Hurt" Frank Thomas of the ChiSox... to the Cincinnati Redlegs for Catcher-Smokey Burgess, Pitcher-Harvey Haddix and 3B-Don "The Tiger" Hoak... My Grandpa said this trade won the 1960 World Series!

Beatem Bucs Cool

YIM  
IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Bucs Fan in GA wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 3:41pm:
Another of my favorite trades was Jan 30th, 1959... Pirates sent
Pitcher-Whammy Douglas, OF-3B Jim Pendleton, Of Johnny Powers and 3b,1B, Of Frank "before the The Big Hurt" Frank Thomas of the ChiSox... to the Cincinnati Redlegs for Catcher-Smokey Burgess, Pitcher-Harvey Haddix and 3B-Don "The Tiger" Hoak... My Grandpa said this trade won the 1960 World Series!

Beatem Bucs Cool

Well if your Grandpa was alive and well at that time so was I so maybe I can be your OBN Grandpa!  I was only 11 at the time of the deal!  Grin Grin  So you and only you have my permission to refer to me as whatever you called your Grandpa when addressing me in the forum!

And your Grandpa was absolutely correct in his statement.

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

icantwatch

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #13 - yesterday at 7:50am
Print Post  
I was not alive for the '60 series but once was a rabid Pirates fan so I devoured anything written about the Bucs. Mentioning that trade reminds me of a Don Hoak story I once read. YOu know how we were all taught to return to our base and tag it after a foul?  Well, the story suggested that this came about because of Hoak. He was running the bases one day and was on second. The batter lined a foul and Hoak took off. Upon hearing it was foul, he stopped about 5 feet short of third. Ump threw a new ball into play, and they all look at Hoak. Ump says for him to get back to second and Hoak replies "Nah, this is my lead."  The umpires forced him back but no rule really made that necessary so it was added that you had to return to the vicinity of your occupied base. Don't know if it's a true story but it might have captured husband style of play. Ever hear that grandpa....I mean Possum?

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #14 - yesterday at 7:59am
Print Post  
icantwatch wrote yesterday at 7:50am:
I was not alive for the '60 series but once was a rabid Pirates fan so I devoured anything written about the Bucs. Mentioning that trade reminds me of a Don Hoak story I once read. YOu know how we were all taught to return to our base and tag it after a foul?  Well, the story suggested that this came about because of Hoak. He was running the bases one day and was on second. The batter lined a foul and Hoak took off. Upon hearing it was foul, he stopped about 5 feet short of third. Ump threw a new ball into play, and they all look at Hoak. Ump says for him to get back to second and Hoak replies "Nah, this is my lead."  The umpires forced him back but no rule really made that necessary so it was added that you had to return to the vicinity of your occupied base. Don't know if it's a true story but it might have captured husband style of play. Ever hear that grandpa...I mean Possum?

'Tis true young man.  And Bobster the absolute expert on the '60 team will back me up.   

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint