Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pirates have signed Kang for 2019 (Read 399 times)
NJBucsFan

OnlyBucs.net Member

Pirates have signed Kang for 2019
Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:24am
Print Post  
From the Pirates Twitter feed, no details that I can find.

ANNOUNCED: The Pirates have signed free agent infielder Jung Ho Kang to a one-year contract for the 2019 season.

It's got to be a decent bit less than 5.5 million, hopefully low risk with potential decent reward, if only to fill the super sub position.

IP Logged

Osushawn

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Pirates have signed Kang for 2019
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Great news.  I can continue to wear my Kang jersey for another year

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:01am
Print Post  
I count this as good news too (and surprising to me).

IP Logged

SammyKhalifa
Global Moderator

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Ecbucs wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:01am:
I count this as good news too (and surprising to me).

Well they clearly didn't stick with him for 2.5 years or whatever just to decline his option and let him go.

IP Logged

CTBucco

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Like others, I’m happily surprised. When he wasn’t resigned by last Friday and all other teams got a shot at him, I figured it was less than 50-50 that he’d be back. Low risk, high upside. Good re-signing.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Good news. Tho he'll go to ST without a starting job, I suspect he will force Hurdle to use him quite a bit. He'll have more power than anyone else on the roster and this team lacks power. And he's a huge defensive upgrade over Moran. It would be great if he could work out at all 4 infield positions in ST and at least be a sub at all four spots. And he'll likely play 3B vs all LHP as well as some RHP.

IP Logged

Carolina Bucco
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Sweet. This checks off one of my 4 offseason priorities.

1. Sign Kang for a Kang/Moran platoon at 3B (or maybe Kang ends up winning the job outright).
2. Sign a LH hitting OF to hold down RF until Polanco is ready, and then become a key guy on bench. (Granderson?)
3. Sign an elite veteran glove at SS. (Hechavarria?)
4. Sign a legit LH starting pitcher. (Would love Happ but would settle for a Gio type).

1 down, 3 to go.

IP Logged

BenM

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I just hope the team makes sure that he can not drive in the States.

Not kidding.

IP Logged

SammyKhalifa
Global Moderator

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:32am:
Good news. Tho he'll go to ST without a starting job, I suspect he will force Hurdle to use him quite a bit. He'll have more power than anyone else on the roster and this team lacks power. And he's a huge defensive upgrade over Moran. It would be great if he could work out at all 4 infield positions in ST and at least be a sub at all four spots. And he'll likely play 3B vs all LHP as well as some RHP.

I'm still wait-and-see about what he's actually going to give us.  I think people are getting ahead of themselves with what to expect.

I think that if the Pirates had gone out and signed an outside 32 year old who hadn't played major league ball since 2016, fans would be less than excited.  I'm guessing that they would say it's a fine risk to take as long as it's a minor league deal.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Osushawn wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:43am:
Great news.  I can continue to wear my Kang jersey for another year

Not so quick about the jersey.  If Newman sticks out of ST then he most likely wears #27.  So you have to get a new one anyway.  Good ploy on Bucs part, more money in the coffers.  Angry

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Had to think this one over a bit.  If Kang can learn to be adequate at 1B that would be great and he definitely can replace Freeze with some added power.  With that said I am rooting for Ke'Bryan and Wil to pick it up in Indy this season so at least one of them is ready for 2020.

Speaking of Ke'Bryan does his prospects remind you of another young "Bonus Baby" named Bailey who came up in '63?  What say ye Bobster?

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

Bucs Fan in GA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
You mean old Beetle Bailey? He eventually became a Dodger than an Expo, then a Red and then a Redsox...I recall his bubble gum cards and that he hit homers in the double digits from 63-66. Recall the funny comic on the back of one card calling him a bonus baby...Know they had big expectations for Bob. Traded him to LA for Maury Willis..Somewhere I recall him being the final manager of the minor league Hawaiian Islanders in the Pacific Coast League Cool

Beat'em Bucs

Beat'em Bucs

YIM  
IP Logged

Bucs Fan in GA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Kang's Signing Details for 2019
Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 11:53am
Print Post  
According to Bucs Dugout ....Pirates signed Kang to $3 million in base salary, with $2.5 million incentives...

Glad they brought him on board. Now to get that SS, 4th OF and left handed reliever...

Beat'em Bucs Cheesy

YIM  
IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #13 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
SammyKhalifa wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:54am:
Bobster wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:32am:

I'm still wait-and-see about what he's actually going to give us.  I think people are getting ahead of themselves with what to expect.

I think that if the Pirates had gone out and signed an outside 32 year old who hadn't played major league ball since 2016, fans would be less than excited.  I'm guessing that they would say it's a fine risk to take as long as it's a minor league deal. 

Yes, my comments are based on the assumption that Kang will be able to be productive. There's no guarantee of that. But the Pirates must think he can produce or they could easily have moved on altogether from him. ST will be important for him to show what he can still do.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Possum wrote on Nov 8th, 2018 at 11:32am:
Had to think this one over a bit.  If Kang can learn to be adequate at 1B that would be great and he definitely can replace Freeze with some added power.  With that said I am rooting for Ke'Bryan and Wil to pick it up in Indy this season so at least one of them is ready for 2020.

Speaking of Ke'Bryan does his prospects remind you of another young "Bonus Baby" named Bailey who came up in '63?  What say ye Bobster?

I sure hope Hayes is better than Bailey was in his years as a Pirate. In 4+ years as a Buc he hit .257 and never had more than 13 HRs or 51 RBIs. He did virtually nothing for LA in 2 years but finally became valuable as an Expo. The Bucs rushed him. He made his debut at age 19 and was a starter at age 20 after only 2 years in the minors. If Hayes arrives in 2020, he will be 23 with 5 years in the minors. I think we should expect much greater things from Hayes than we saw in Bailey's years as a Pirate.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint