Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bucs trivia and/or This Date in Pirate History . . . (Read 300 times)
Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Re: Bucs trivia and/or This Date in Pirate History . . .
Reply #15 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
You got it this time.  Glad I can bring some joy to a Bucco fan so far from the Burgh and who also enjoyed some of the same old time Bucs I did.  Feel free to find trivia questions of your own and post them.  I like the challenge of them myself.  But we have to be careful that Bobster does not chime in too early and ruin it for the rest of us!   Grin

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #16 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 2:10pm
Print Post  

Identify this family.  The man in the upper right had longtime ties with the Pirates.  Can you tell me his name and the name of his famous father who is seated in the middle of the pix.

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #17 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Possum wrote on Nov 5th, 2018 at 2:10pm:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ckXSqV6/0/51aaaf4d/L/i-ckXSqV6-L.jpg

Identify this family.  The man in the upper right had longtime ties with the Pirates.  Can you tell me his name and the name of his famous father who is seated in the middle of the pix.

Actor Joe E. Brown, man in upper right is former Buc GM Joe Brown.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #18 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Ecbucs wrote on Nov 5th, 2018 at 2:11pm:
Possum wrote on Nov 5th, 2018 at 2:10pm:
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ckXSqV6/0/51aaaf4d/L/i-ckXSqV6-L.jpg

Actor Joe E. Brown, man in upper right is former Buc GM Joe Brown.

You got it.  Looks like that one was too easy!   Grin  Congrats on the quick answer.  I think Joe E. gave it away.

Possum

---------------

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #19 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 9:22am
Print Post  
This on about Danny Murtaugh.  Danny was a journeyman infielder that included the Bucs in his playing days.  He was also the 3B coach over the course of two seasons and then managed the Bucs to victory in the 60 & 71 series.

Danny was one guy who was not afraid to get into it with the umpires.  He was tossed 30 times over the course of his entire MLB career.  Can you name the first ump to eject Danny and also the last ump to eject Danny and the reason for those ejections?  The answer is not in Bobster's book.

Possum

---------------

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #20 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Possum wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 9:22am:
This on about Danny Murtaugh.  Danny was a journeyman infielder that included the Bucs in his playing days.  He was also the 3B coach over the course of two seasons and then managed the Bucs to victory in the 60 & 71 series.

Danny was one guy who was not afraid to get into it with the umpires.  He was tossed 30 times over the course of his entire MLB career.  Can you name the first ump to eject Danny and also the last ump to eject Danny and the reason for those ejections?  The answer is not in Bobster's book.

You got me on that one Possum. But on the topic of Murtaugh. here's some trivia that is in my book and is worth mentioning. The Bucs had been the laughingstock of MLB throughout the 1950s. Murtaugh replaced Bobby Bragan on 8/3/57 to beome the team's 4th manager in 8 years following Billy Meyer, Fred Haney and Bragan. He inherited a team that was 36-67 (.350) with 51 games left. Under Murtaugh the rest of the way they went 26-25 (.510). That's really an unbelievable turn around. Especially for a guy getting his first taste of managing in MLB and inheriting a team that's been horrible for years including right up to the day he took over. The immediate impact Murtaugh had was on the pitching staff. Bragan, like many managers at that time, sometimes used his starters as relievers. When Murtaugh took over in 1957, Ron Kline was 2-15 with a 4.82 ERA while performing double duty. Under Murtaugh the rest of the season, Kline was exclusively a starter with a 7-1 record and a 2.77 ERA. In his first full season as manager in 1958, Murtaugh took the formerly laughable Pirates to 2nd place in the 8-team NL and was named Associated Press Mgr of the Year. And 2 years later he won a WS. Sometimes I wonder if Murtaugh's popularity with the players and fans overshadows what a truly outstanding manager he was.   

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #21 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 10:31am:
Possum wrote on Nov 6th, 2018 at 9:22am:

You got me on that one Possum. But on the topic of Murtaugh. here's some trivia that is in my book and is worth mentioning. The Bucs had been the laughingstock of MLB throughout the 1950s. Murtaugh replaced Bobby Bragan on 8/3/57 to beome the team's 4th manager in 8 years following Billy Meyer, Fred Haney and Bragan. He inherited a team that was 36-67 (.350) with 51 games left. Under Murtaugh the rest of the way they went 26-25 (.510). That's really an unbelievable turn around. Especially for a guy getting his first taste of managing in MLB and inheriting a team that's been horrible for years including right up to the day he took over. The immediate impact Murtaugh had was on the pitching staff. Bragan, like many managers at that time, sometimes used his starters as relievers. When Murtaugh took over in 1957, Ron Kline was 2-15 with a 4.82 ERA while performing double duty. Under Murtaugh the rest of the season, Kline was exclusively a starter with a 7-1 record and a 2.77 ERA. In his first full season as manager in 1958, Murtaugh took the formerly laughable Pirates to 2nd place in the 8-team NL and was named Associated Press Mgr of the Year. And 2 years later he won a WS. Sometimes I wonder if Murtaugh's popularity with the players and fans overshadows what a truly outstanding manager he was.   

What I liked about Danny was he was Irish and was a real scrapper and I loved that chew he always had in his cheek!

Possum

---------------

IP Logged

Bucs Fan in GA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #22 - Nov 6th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Loved old Danny Murtaugh and enjoyed seeing him working that Redman chew and strolling out to the mound or home plate to voice his convictions. He had a lot of character! Cool

YIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint