Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Dickerson a Gold Glove Finalist . . . (Read 429 times)
Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Dickerson a Gold Glove Finalist . . .
Oct 26th, 2018 at 8:55am
Print Post  
According to Bill Brink of the PG  Corey Dickenson A Gold Glove Finalist

Who'da Thunk It!

It's A Great Day for Bucco Baseball

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

Bucs Fan in GA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: Dickerson a Gold Glove Finalist . . .
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 9:26am
Print Post  
He should be considered, he played LF very well for our Battling Buccos! I had read nothing but negative regarding his fielding, felt he held his own and then some. Would love to see a Bucco get some recognition...Know that Brewers-Christian Yelich is also under consideration, but didn't Yelich play both RF and LF?

Beat'em Bucs Cool

YIM  
IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Bucs Fan in GA wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 9:26am:
He should be considered, he played LF very well for our Battling Buccos! I had read nothing but negative regarding his fielding, felt he held his own and then some. Would love to see a Bucco get some recognition...Know that Brewers-Christian Yelich is also under consideration, but didn't Yelich play both RF and LF?

Beat'em Bucs Cool

Dickerson's play in LF kinda reminds me of Bill Virdon.  Not the fastest guy in the OF nor with the strongest arm like Clemente but he how to take the right path to the ball, he threw to the right bases and had that quick release in getting away the throw from the OF. Unfortunately, he had a guy named Mays beating him out each year.

Possum

---------------

Believe it or Not!  In 1959 the Pirates almost traded Dick Groat for Roger Maris.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Possum wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:16am:

Beat'em Bucs Cool

Dickerson's play in LF kinda reminds me of Bill Virdon.  Not the fastest guy in the OF nor with the strongest arm like Clemente but he how to take the right path to the ball, he threw to the right bases and had that quick release in getting away the throw from the OF. Unfortunately, he had a guy named Mays beating him out each year.

But Virdon finally did win the GG in 1962.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:59am:
Possum wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 11:16am:

Beat'em Bucs Cool

But Virdon finally did win the GG in 1962.

Forever the greatest Pirate historian on OBN you picked me up when I made a big-time blooper!   Grin

Possum

---------------

IP Logged

Quail
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Possum wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 8:55am:

Who'da Thunk It!

Well, me for one-- gotta toot my own horn because nobody else will  Grin. As I mentioned in this thread in September http://onlybucs.net/board/cgi-bin/onlybucs/YaBB.pl?num=1537879037 Glad to hear that he made the final cut. Hope he wins it!

As a huge Bill Virdon fan I want to point out that his Gold Glove in 1962 was a remarkable achievement considering that during his playing days he was competing against not only Mays, but Curt Flood and Roberto Clemente for outfield defensive honors. Those 3 could arguably constitute the finest defensive outfield ever assembled. For 6 consecutive years the trio of Flood, Mays and Clemente won Gold Gloves. For 9 consecutive years at least 2 of the 3 won. The fact that Quail was able to break through to win a Gold Glove in 1962 against that kind of competition says it all!   

"In baseball, you don't know nothing."-  Yogi Berra

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Quail wrote on Oct 27th, 2018 at 9:10am:
Possum wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 8:55am:

Who'da Thunk It!

Well, me for one-- gotta toot my own horn because nobody else will  Grin. As I mentioned in this thread in September http://onlybucs.net/board/cgi-bin/onlybucs/YaBB.pl?num=1537879037 Glad to hear that he made the final cut. Hope he wins it!

As a huge Bill Virdon fan I want to point out that his Gold Glove in 1962 was a remarkable achievement considering that during his playing days he was competing against not only Mays, but Curt Flood and Roberto Clemente for outfield defensive honors. Those 3 could arguably constitute the finest defensive outfield ever assembled. For 6 consecutive years the trio of Flood, Mays and Clemente won Gold Gloves. For 9 consecutive years at least 2 of the 3 won. The fact that Quail was able to break through to win a Gold Glove in 1962 against that kind of competition says it all!   

Mays and Clemente were then other 2 OF winners in '62.

It should also be noted that Virdon was by far the defensive star of the 1960 WS. He made several outstanding, run saving catches but none better than his game 4 leaping catch crashing into the wall at the 407' marker at Yankee Stadium in the 7th inning to rob Bob Cerv with 2 on and 1 out in a game the Bucs would narrowly win 3-2. That must have been frustrating to the Yankees who originally signed Virdon and kept him in the organization for 4 years before trading him to St.L. (where he became ROY) and then seeing him finish 2nd in the NL batting race the following year in his first season as a Pirate. While Virdon was obviously blocked in CF by Mantle in NY, the Yankees were using an aging Hank Bauer and guys like Gene Woodling and Irv Noren in LF and RF at the time they dealt Virdon.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2018 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
It looks like voting is now for left, center and right fielders.

I liked it better when it was for 3 best outfielders.

that being said, I hope Dickerson wins.

IP Logged

Possum
Forum Administrator

Older Than Dirt!

Reply #8 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
He Won It!

Way to go Corey!

Possum

---------------

IP Logged

BenM

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
Congrats to him.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
BenM wrote on Nov 4th, 2018 at 11:29pm:
Congrats to him.

yep, always nice to have a winner. From watching games he did a good job of hustling all the time and being prepared out there.

IP Logged

Quail
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #11 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 5:01am
Print Post  
My man Cory comes through! Nice to see him rewarded, and the Pirates garner a post-season honor.

"In baseball, you don't know nothing."-  Yogi Berra

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Great! Nothing flashy about him. Just a very efficient, fundamentally sound outfielder.

IP Logged

Bucs Fan in GA

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #13 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 6:53am
Print Post  
Congrats to Corey! Glad to have him on our team! Beat'em Bucs Cool

YIM  
IP Logged

SammyKhalifa
Global Moderator

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #14 - Nov 5th, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Wow, who saw that coming

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint