Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The year of PLayoff and Wild Card berths (Read 1365 times)
mouse
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Re: The year of PLayoff and Wild Card berths
Reply #60 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
My concern with the pitch to contact theory is that if your team is going to use that approach, it should gather the best defenders it can find to support that. The Pirates haven't followed through with that part of the program.

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #61 - Oct 7th, 2018 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
The whole idea of “pitch to contact” was absurd to me.  Seems to me, the best pitch is one that misses the bat.  And I doubt the Pirate’s  Philosophy resulted in starters going deeper into the game.

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #62 - Oct 8th, 2018 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Yankees humiliated by Sox; Brock Holt makes history hitting for the cycle.

Holt and Hanrahan to Boston for the shark and a few others. 
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2018 at 12:58am by VaPirate »  

IP Logged

IABucFan
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #63 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Just a thought...on paper, Astros/Red Sox is one of the best LCS matchups I can remember. I don't really like the American League game, but I think a lot of people probably consider this series the "real" World Series. Great pitching on both sides, both lineups would rival All-Star teams in terms of depth.

IP Logged

kansasfan

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #64 - Oct 10th, 2018 at 11:28am
Print Post  
IABucFan wrote on Oct 10th, 2018 at 9:44am:
Just a thought...on paper, Astros/Red Sox is one of the best LCS matchups I can remember. I don't really like the American League game, but I think a lot of people probably consider this series the "real" World Series. Great pitching on both sides, both lineups would rival All-Star teams in terms of depth.

Agree in general about AL baseball, but the funny thing is with both of those teams (108 & 103 wins), they actually use more NL strategies than most NL teams!  I've seen sacrifice bunts when appropriate; actual hit & runs; and even Altuve tried to bunt in a runner from 3rd when he saw the 1B playing back.

And the crazy thing is, the players actually know how to bunt, how to hit & run, how to slide. 

I'm not big on using small ball ALL the time, but you gotta know how to do it.  And these teams do.

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #65 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Brewers beat Kershaw.  Amazing. 

I never like the Brewers, but I’m cheering for them now.  Got to hand it to them.

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #66 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 8:56am
Print Post  
VaPirate wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 6:14am:

I never like the Brewers, but I’m cheering for them now.  Got to hand it to them. 

Kershaw's career post-season record is 8-8 with a 4.26 ERA. Regular season career ERA of 2.39. He's a different pitcher in the post season.

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #67 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Bobster wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 8:56am:

Kershaw's career post-season record is 8-8 with a 4.26 ERA. Regular season career ERA of 2.39. He's a different pitcher in the post season.

Yeah, what does that do to a hall of fame ballet?

IP Logged

Bobster
Global Moderator

Reply #68 - Oct 13th, 2018 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
VaPirate wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 1:32pm:
Bobster wrote on Oct 13th, 2018 at 8:56am:

Yeah, what does that do to a hall of fame ballet?

It doesn't help but it might only be the difference between 1st ballot or not. Barry Bonds would be in the HOF if not for the steroids and will still probably get in. No one uses his post season stats against him in that regard. Bonds appeared in the post season in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1997, 2000, 2002 and 2003 and underperformed every year except 2002. 

IP Logged

mouse
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #69 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 6:00am
Print Post  
So was last night (Sunday night, AL Game 2) the Cole we remember? He seemed to be throwing hard, but also gave up runs and threw a lot of pitches.

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #70 - yesterday at 6:17am
Print Post  
HUGE call in game 5 of Red Sox - Astro’s game: 2 run homer by Altuve of the Astros is called an out due to fan interference. Astros lose by two and lose the series.

https://www.mlb.com/news/fan-interference-negates-jose-altuve-home-run/c-2980728...

Ball is clearly beyond the vertical of the wall, into the stands. It can be proven by watching the fan in the gray t-shirt - he’s standing up and the ball would clearly hit him in the chest if the  trajectory had not been altered.  The fan had his hands within a few inches of his chest.  Totally reflexes - no one can just stand there and have a shot bounce off their chest. 

From Joe West: “Asked what he saw that prompted the initial interference call, West said, "Well, when [Betts] jumped up to reach for the ball, the spectator reached out of the stands and hit him over the playing field and closed his glove."

That’s just not right.  Fan clearly did NOT reach out and over the wall.

IP Logged

Ecbucs
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #71 - yesterday at 9:20am
Print Post  
Betts closed his mitt early too.  Last night I though it was possible that mitt had hit a fan.

IP Logged

PMike
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #72 - yesterday at 9:51am
Print Post  
Ecbucs wrote yesterday at 9:20am:
Betts closed his mitt early too.  Last night I though it was possible that mitt had hit a fan.

I think it is pretty clear that the contact with the fans caused his glove to close.  If there are no fans there, he catches the ball, IMO.  I really dislike Joe West and think he is a terrible umpire, but I think he got that one right...somehow.

IP Logged

SammyKhalifa
Global Moderator

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #73 - yesterday at 10:10am
Print Post  
After this look, I'm sure the guy on the right is loving life in the office right now . . .

hi-res-a9a219516f3c9f5494b6198f75f4211f_crop_north by sammykhalifa, on Flickr
« Last Edit: yesterday at 10:15am by SammyKhalifa »  

IP Logged

VaPirate
Elite Member

OnlyBucs.net Member

Reply #74 - yesterday at 10:24am
Print Post  
PMike wrote yesterday at 9:51am:
Ecbucs wrote yesterday at 9:20am:

I think it is pretty clear that the contact with the fans caused his glove to close.  If there are no fans there, he catches the ball, IMO.  I really dislike Joe West and think he is a terrible umpire, but I think he got that one right...somehow.

There was definitely contact and that contact seemed to close the glove.  But four things:
The contact was with the guy in grey T-shirt
The contact was initiated by Betts
The guy in the orange is reaching but never makes contact.
Most important: as I’ve read the rule, once the ball goes beyond the wall (into the stands) spectators have a right to the ball.  Ie, there is no fan interference.

Betts was definitely beyond the wall if the fan in grey is watched the entire clip.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint